Oldschoolers and Newschoolers picnic.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Midnight, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I got to thinking today and I realized that theres alot of fighting between the oldschool and newschool fans.

As an oldschooler I have my ideas of what Transformers is supposed be,but i realize thats not the only way it has to be.Lets all come together here for a second,oldschoolers and newschoolers,and say what we like about eachothers respected school of TFs.It'll be like the Crips and Bloods picnic.

I'll go first.Transformers the Movie had some of the best special effects ive seen in movies as of late and when Optimus Prime drove up and transformed I got chills.And I loved Barricade and Blackout even though they were movie created characters.Blackout was pretty badass.Also I liked some of the human characters like Simmons and some of the soldier guys.

And as much as I bitch and complain,it is nice to see a transformers live action movie.

Honorable mentions,

Transformers Energon was pretty cool,and I didnt hate Kicker as a human character.

Transformers R.I.D ruled,I loved it even though they changed a lot of the stuff in the American version.

And I dont dislike Minicons completely.There are some pretty cool ones and the poseability in such a small toy is nice.

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    To each their own, I say.
    what I truly don't understand is all the hate towards those who either have criticisms of the movie- or outright dislike it. I liked the movie, and it effects me not that others don't- for whatever reason.

With the hate and intolerance, it's almost as if these people need and require others to like it the way they do.

In all seriousness, I liked the film more than most of the fandom- which is why it'll be unlikely that I ever attens a BOTCON.

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whilst there are some TF series that I don't really care for, such as the Beast Era and AEC, they have helped Transformers remain an enduring and successful franchise for 25 years where many others have floundered. I'm grateful for each TF series that has played its part and given us such a varied franchise :) 

4. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

...and tons more toys.

5. Zipdisk

Zipdisk Seven Color Carrot

The weird thing is, I'm a little bit oldschool and a little bit newschool. Let me explain.

I am 33 years old. I was crazy about Transformers as a kid. I remember every single toy commercial I ever saw for them and hated that one kid on the block who was a spoiled only child with rich parents who had EVERY one of the toys. I watched the cartoon and begged my folks to take me to the movie (they never did).

Then, I moved on.

In college, I got into anime and through that, back into giant robots which eventually lead me full circle back to Transformers. Only with the advent of Animated have I really gotten back into the toys. I've missed the last 20 years of figures and am catching up. The sheer quality of the engineering in the new figures blows my mind with things done now that would have been impossible in the days of G1 such as amazing poseability and incredible show accuracy.

I have to say, I do not regret coming back to the franchise after so many years and have a greater appreciation for it than I did back in the halcyon days of the 80s.

The movie was fun. I liked it. It impressed me with its effects even if the characterization on the bots seemed a bit scant. I will see the next one but I have very few of the toys from the film. The bots in the movie seemed to work better on screen than in their plastic incarnations imho.

6. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    See, I don't get the whole "oldschool vs newschool" thing.

I started collecting TF's in 1985 and have continued thru to today. I have just about everyone of them and I really like them all. I look at every series as it's own deal with it's own strengths and weaknesses.

G1 set the stage and tone. They didn't have a lot of articulation, but they were still cool enough to be one of the best toylines of the '80's. G2 gave kids a chance to pick up some figures they might have missed in G1. Beast Wars saved the line and set a new standard that still has us comparing each new series to it 12 years later. RID saw the return of the vehicle TF's and gave us some very good molds. Armada's Mini-cons made Micro TF's cool again.

Energon... is the only line I fall short on, but there were some good toys in the line, and it did return the Scramble City style combiners. Cybertron had some really great figures despite the key gimmick. Classics rocked with all new reimagined favorites. The movie, no matter if you liked it or not had a huge number of excellent toys from the Real Gears to the Leader class.

Which brings us to Animated. The new standard by which the TF Story/Mythos must be measured. Like the style or not, the toys are the closest to their animation counterparts than any other series. The story is the best we've had since BW. And then we come to Universe/Classics 2.0. The line that brings us the best of design and character for 25 years toys.

And as far as old vs new goes, remember that 25 years from now, all of the new stuff then will be even better than today. Today's new will be as old as G1 and will be looked at as really old by tomorrow's generations. And I plan to be there on this same message board writing something similar to this to those kids then too. (cause even if you're 64, you're never too old to have a happy childhood.) ;) 

7. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

i might be quick to stick to the oldschool myhos but i love a lot of the new toys.

animated is my current favorite toy line and i thought i would hate it at first.

8. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

I should be newskool(I was born in 1990) I got my first Transformers toys from Beast Wars(only three of them mind you) The first time I saw Transformers on TV though was ARMADA, my brother and I would watch Toonami everynight to see it while we ate dinner, then we saw some of Energon, and most of Cybertron. Then we got Beast Wars, and Beast Machines on DVD, and as we got into the older series I liked them more and more, so we bought G1 and watched all of it over the course of a couple weeks, and it's my favorite series to date! The characters, the cheesey stories and everything. I love the new movie too, and Animated to death, but it's funny how even though I wasn't around for G1 that it's still the most beloved of them after all this time and not even growing up qith them. So yeah, that's what I have to say about that. lolz -Cody

9. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why divide the fandom into two camps? That's hardly going to help matters.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Awww...I saw the thread title and was hoping that somebody was planning a transfan picnic. oh well...

11. Sideways

Sideways Banned

me too Wheeljack Prime.me too.

12. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    I'd consider inviting the board over for a bbq and camping in the my backyard (my yard is nearly 7 acres), if I thought enough would show up. It could be a bring your own tent event, lol.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's a wide spectrum really, not just two camps. (the people in the middle ground may not be particularly outspoken on boards though) It's funny because there's many fans from beginning of G1 who like and/or prefer the newer toys and media, as well as newbies who may not even have been alive for much of the G1 run, yet declare it as the only 'true' incarnation.

14. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I'd bring the potato salad!

Oh wait, would that start a fight between the potato-lovers and potato-haters? :lol 

--Moony

15. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    WOW now that sounds fun, like a sleepover for grown-ups. Do you have wifi?

This pretty much sums it up for me, although Cybertron is what got me into collecting and there are more than a few Armada/Energon figures I like. The thing I like most about all the new stuff are all the G1 homages, and references to the original G1 mythos that bleed through to the new stuff. Characters like Vector Prime who were never part of the original continutiy but can be easily worked in. *these things make me happy* TFs are just awesome!

16. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Am I New or Old for starting with Beast Wars?

17. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    Yup, i got wifi. That would be a riot though, couple hundred adults in my back yard having a sleepover and playing with toys and drinking. That sounds like my kind of party. The wife says the girls sleep in the house though.

18. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

i always considered it part of G1,kinda sorta.i might just be streching it cuz i loved beastwars though.but hey,they had all thoughs G1 references.

=D(fun fact)my first beastwars toys were dinobot and terasaur.i loved dinosaurs as a kid.heh heh

hey,if we had a real picnic we could have a huge toy swap!

anyone want an old blitzwing without his tank turret?ive got,like 3 or 4 around here somewhere.lol

19. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    as long as they can make us all happy with toys for all schools im good. we all like what we like. we are drawn towards what we grew up on. ie how toys look like im a classics guys as its how i always saw what G1 could of been. now for the ppl who grew up on the rest thats how the see what they toys should look like.

we are all fans of TFs. so old school new school middle school. we all love Tf.

20. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I'm stuck between Oldschool and Newschool. I was born in 1986, right when the G1 Movie came out in theatres. I watched what few tapes of Transformers G1 that my brother had, and we both played with the original toys while we were growing up. I remembered seeing commercials for Beast Wars, but didn't tie it in with TFs. Think it was at least high school when I heard about R.I.D. and Armada, but I never had the chance to watch those series on TV. When I heard about their making a live-action TF movie, I became obsessed learning everything I can about it and was very optimistic about it seeing it, knowing very well that it was gonna rock... and IT DID! I didn't hear about Energon until I joined this site, but haven't watched it and felt torn in watching it due to all the negativity about it on this site. Cybertron, I just recently bought the box set and watched only half of it, but found it entertaining, and besides, the first toys that I bought were the last Cybertron toys in stock. Finally, when Animated first season came out on DVD, I bought it and watched it... found it totally AWESOME.

So now, when it comes to Transformers, I crave anything that's G1, Animated, Cybertron, and the Live-Action movies.