older mac question

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by metcar, Sep 1, 2009.

1. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

specifically about OS 9 i'm looking to get a old imac g3 with the intent of collecting older games about 1992-2002 era games and i was wondering if OS 9 had trouble running any of the older games.i know os x can run os 9 in classic but i've read that certain games hate to run in classic and either have performance issues or just won't run at all.

2. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interesting question.
    I have a modest library of older PC games and Vista despises them.
    have thought about buying an older PC just for that, but not sure it would work.
    I hope someone here can help you with this, because it might solve a problem for me as well.
    i didn't know that older Macs had that many games for it.
    then again, never really saw any decent Mac games selection at the stores here during the period you mentioned.
    good luck

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Wish I could answer the question for you, metcar. It would be kinda cool to have the Marathon games and Pathways Into Darkness on their original platform. Maybe it would help the Mac gurus here to know exactly what games you plan on running.

jorod74, the same question makes sense for you. Are you talking about running games from Windows 95/98, or more like DOS?

4. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

well they would be star trek 25th anniversary edition,sam & max hit the road,day of the tentacle,wingcommander 3,4,5,ultimate doom,marathon series, some others but i know they'll work (the newer games) cause there more recent 4x4 evo avp gold

5. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

games - on a mac?! you must be serious bored bro :lol 

6. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

well i want to get it cause i never had a mac before and the one i found is pretty cheap and i want something that can play older game without the need of dosbox or the what not plus most mac versions are cheaper than there pc counter parts. i did have another question to the mac users out there if you upgrade to a bigger hard disk do you have to run through the usual create file partition command line stuff you do when upgrading a windows pc or is it just stick the install disk in and let it load?

7. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

osx automatically formats the disc when you install.

other than that you seem to be going about playing older game in a very awkward fashion if you don't mind me saying.

8. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

yeah i know it's odd i just always wanted a old mac something that had an orginal mac os (in this case os 9) and was using the old powerpc processor i was actually looking at the original powerpc 6100 but thought this was better since it's cheaper and you can play more recent games as well as the older stuff

9. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

I would go with a G3. A G3 blue and white should be pretty cheap and easy to find. Get some ram in it and you can install up 9.2.2. Which should work quite well, where the 6100 even with lots of ram will be best at 8.6 but may not be fast enough for most games.

You might also want to look on to an voodoo 3 card. I might still have the flasher for the not 3dfx ones. I know I still have the drivers for them.

10. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

well the one i'm looking at is a graphite imac g3 with 128mb of ram *plan to put in 1gb* ati rage pro 128 16mb and i believe the cpu is 600mhz with os 9

11. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Tried running it in XP/2000/98 compatibility mode? If its a DOS game you can use DOSBOX to emulate Dos. If you gave some specific games I might be able to give a specific answer to your problems.