Old toy found at retail

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by triggpunkrock, Oct 12, 2010.

1. triggpunkrock

triggpunkrock Active Member

Ok so two years ago on holiday in Spain I wandered in to a toy shop and found two G2 transformers carded on sale! Does anyone else have similar stories of finding an old toy at retail? G1 Jetfire at Toys R Us in the nineties for example!

2. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In the Mid 90's while on a snowmobile trip, we stopped at this old mom and pop convience store right off the trail. As I walked around the store I saw 3 G1 TFs Ironhide, Smokescreen and Slag. They had been sitting there for quite some time as they were a bit dusty. I picked up the Smokescreen to take back with me (in the small storage compartment in my snowmobile) that day. A few weeks later we went back (by car this time) and I was able to score the Ironhide, but as I already had Slag I passed on it.

3. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    2 weeks ago i got a marvel legends abomination from kmart for 5 bucks :) 

4. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

late 90's we used to have a comic-book/collector store down town that had a small collection of Transformers and Gobots. Nothing really special.

5. Wraithier

Wraithier Well-Known Member

A few years ago before KB closed I found a commemorative edition Sideswipe on clearance for $5.

6. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

it was during the heady days of Transformers Energon and lo and behold a BM Strika who's cardback said " I've been in the back under a bunch of crap the past few years" was on the shelf @ my local TRU. It rang up $2.. of course I bought it. Having acquired BM Blastcharge around that time, I was quite happy :) 

7. thedreaded1

thedreaded1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There was a mom n pop store called Meyers in East Brunswick, NJ. They use to have WWF LJN figures, Transformers and GI Joes on their shelves that were usually a few years behind. I would always want to go there as a kid to convince my parents to buy me Transformers that i missed out on.

8. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I could find Armada stuff at TRU up until the first movie drought.

9. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

There used to be this store called Die Hard Collectibles up in RI. I was in junior high at the time. Made a few trips before they moved. Bought at least two handfuls of G1 and G2 figures. They had a statue of Optimus Prime near the entrance. A few feet tall at least. Those truly were better days. They mentioned were they were moving to. The location escapes me. I've tried looking them up on the web but, to no avail.

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not nearly the same thing, but I was surprised last year to find the 2007 Wal-Mart exclusive "Movie Classics" (Jolt, Grindcore, Divebomb, Big Daddy, etc.) in a Houston airport gift shop, with stickers covering the "Only at Wal-Mart" sticker.

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In 1996, went to a Service Merchandise in Tuscaloosa.
    they had in the toy aisle, G2 figures next to Batman Returns figures.

i grabbed G2 Sideswipe, and regretfully passed on the others.

12. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Found some Movie 1 stuff in Italy at a service station. And I saw a Cybertron Leo Breaker at TRU a year ago. It came up at £3. Passed on it, regretably

13. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Awhile back, when I was in MA with my ex, we went to a TRU when he was looking for these Star Wars toys..he found an open box, and inside he found like the original 70-80's toy, someone switched it out for the new reissue version. I forget what it was..one of those land speeder things that Luke and the robots were driving.

14. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    I found a sealed Armada Starscream at the Warwick ToysRus back in 2005. It was in the model kit aisle on the bottom shelf, pushed all the way back. The box wasn't shelf worn, but it had some dried up soda or candy residue on the bubble, but that cleaned up nicely with spray cleaner. Scored it for $9! I still have the damned thing in my room up on a bookshelf. Considering that it included batteries, I should really get around to opening it soon. Same goes for the rest of my MISB electronic Armada crap.

15. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Nothing at the bigger retail chains, but I did find a MOSC G2 Slag at my comic shop for $8. I didn't even think, I just bought.

16. Blot

Blot Terrorcon

I found a Cybertron Brakedown GTS at Walmart around last Christmas--it must have been lost in the back for a few years and they just put it out there when they found it.

17. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually dream about this once in a while, going to some crazy old shop and finding stacks and stacks of G1 figures. Just a week ago or so i had a weird dream of going through the lost and found box (!) at an airport (!) and finding first Overlord and then multiple broken Fortress Maximuses (!!!).

In real life though, I rarely find anything locally. In 1997-1998 or so I came across a G2 Optimus in an old toy shop but I wasn't interested at that point. That place closed down a few years ago after having been around for probably 30 years. I wish I would have had an opportunity to scan the darkest corners of their basement.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    the oldest i had ever found was BW Transquito in 2004 at Zellers. I passed on him though. He was quite ugly.

I also saw a RID Prowl there...pased on him. Sham i now have X-Brawn and a MIB Japanese Sideburn.

recently the oldest figure i've seen was Universe Onslaught at Sears.

19. soundwaveprime1

soundwaveprime1 Well-Known Member

i saw some movie 1 stuff at tru

20. bensdady

bensdady Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    AT a local dollar store they still carry cybertron legends and scouts. 5 or 6 (diffrenet ones) of each