Old-timey alt modes

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Xenomrph, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I love old-timey alt modes. Stuff like HFTD Highbrow, G2 Ransack, RotF Ransack, the G2 Laser Rods, HFTD Hubcap, I think that stuff's great. I definitely wish we'd see more stuff like that.

Are there any others I'm forgetting?

2. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    Skullgrin's tank mode has a WW2-era vibe. Also, RTS Lugnut.

Someone in the Radicons customized those guys into WW2-era Dinobots a while back. They were pretty sweet.

3. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Prime Cliffjumper I think fits this bill. The combination of a '70s Dodge Charger and Plymouth Barracuda. Bull horns too. Classic American muscle!

4. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Knight Morpher Commander. Steam engine for the win!!!

5. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Moderator

News Credits:
    Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree. I'd say a 1970 Ford Grand Torino B/C of the grill design. But American muscle does indeed RULE

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hot rod patrol micromasters were good too, and for a gobot super couper was a nice 30's hot rod

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I'd sooner peg the front half of TF prime Cliffjumper to be a Challenger (rather than a Charger or Torino), but I guess its placement in this topic itself depends on how classic we're counting shit.

Like... the Dinobots were all based off of designs that predate humans, so technically they're much older than Hubcap & friends in terms of their alt modes.

8. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Cybertron Downshift and his Big Daddy repaint fit the bill.

9. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

There was also that Go-Bot Rolls Royce. Tux, I think? Though not a Transformer, he was still and old car. There was also a red Doozie I believe.

~Z

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The upcoming third-party Hearts of Steel Shockwave.

I assure you that the design is quite modern.

11. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    BLAAAAAAH!

I actually meant to say Challenger. I have no idea how I mixed that up with Charger.

12. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Doesn't count IMHO. Too much of a fantasy, little resemblance to any real, functional steam locomotive. It's about as real as G1 Shockwave---clearly a gun, but isn't anything like a real one.

On that note--G1 Astrotrain. Asides from the rocket engines, is a very nice steam loco.

13. Bruticon

News Credits:
    I still have to go with the Torino cause of the v style grill/hood unlike the Challanger which was flat.. Though I do see where you guys are coming from.

I'm supprised no one mentioned G1 Warpath, who is a General Motors M551A1 Sheridan
    EDIT: oh just found out the ROTF "icecream" twins were based off a 1930 chevy truck

14. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Eh, everyone does that ahha.

15. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    I don't really count it as it has seen war time use in the last 20 years. 1990 Gulf War saw the Sheridan in use by the 82nd Airborne in the scout role, and the Shillelagh missile was even fired...supposedly! It was finally decommissioned in 1996 so...pretty recent enough that I wouldn't count it personally.

Hey, here's one that no one talked about yet...the Classics Hot Rod mold is a modified Dome Zero!

16. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Funny thing about Astrotrain is the Space Shuttle has now been rendered something of an old timey alt mode as well!

Actually, I suppose the bulk of G1 Earth mode TFs are old-timey at this point. Don't see many Concord jets or Datsuns around these days. Soundwave is mega old timey to all you crazy kids these days. I suppose the Dinobots represent the ULTIMATE IN OLD TIMEY MODES.

I do love the intentional throw backs to prior eras of vehicle design. There are some interesting and unusual shapes to make something unique I think that even in the cases where it hasn't been a complete success, the figures have still been very interesting.

ROTF Jetfire was given a retired alt mode to show his age, so I guess he counts. I'd love to see the Model T or whatever they showed in a photo in the film that they implied was a TF.

Who was that one motorcycle in Galaxy Force? I know he was kind of a Harley type thing, which isn't really old timey, but he seemed similar to the older models and you could almost say that the style of bike is a rather old one that's managed to endure for years. I suppose Chopsaw may apply in that way.

17. Bruticon

News Credits:
    True enough, the Sheridan did have a Very long life. I guess I forgot that it was still used in Desert Storm... I just fell in love with the Abrams and forgot that other US tanks were there.

18. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Battle of 73 Easting was really the shining point of the Abrams fame. It went out there and KICKED ASS no doubt, but yeah, the Sheridan was there too. The ugly truth about it is that the Iraqi T-72 tank completely, utterly outmatched the Sheridan. Had they made contact with enemy tanks we would be talking a bit more about American armor in Iraq other than "we KICKED ASS at 73 Easting."

19. snoopcow

snoopcow Yaranaika?

for ye olde timey goodness, bumblebee should be made into a pineapple express weed bus, only with slight modding so volkswagen don't throw a fit

20. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Micromaster D-5/Overload/Diego/whatever is a kickass little steam locomotive.

Both Animated and RtS Lugnut fit the bill, I think. They're both very retro-modern.

Side note, I LOVE these kinds of alt-modes so this topic is great. I'm hoping for new Laser Rods, at least a new Electro from the Generations Kup mold.