Old TFs vs New TFs Quality

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Red Hope, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Red Hope

Red Hope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So this is a debate between my brother and I. We're both TF fans when we were kids. He had the G1s that he passed down to me. Now his four year old son is shifting from Thomas the Train to Transformers (at least my nephew is consistent with the "T" toys :)  ).

My nephew has gotten a few newer TFs that are on the "easy" scale. They're these spring loaded, push button... things. My brother & I have noticed how my nephew gets so frustrated with these push button TFs that are suppose to be simple. You transform them then they pop back open on their own after the sixth time transforming them. Then my nephew comes back to me and says, "Aunt Lilly, can you fix my broken TF?" Uuuuh... I'm learning to become a TF Repair Station. lol

Now my brother and I are arguing whether or not older TFs like G1 & G2 are better quality. My brother says the G1s had a lot of metal so they held up better. He has a hard time transforming the new TFs and thinks they don't fit as smoothly as they use to back in the day. I'm starting to think he's right and I've purchased a few G1s for my nephew to try. He's still young though.

Any thoughts from y'all about the quality between the old and new?

2. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

To be honest, they may be bricks, but I prefer vintage G1 Transformers over modern ones because they feel sturdier with all the diecast metal and heavy plastics and stuff. A lot of modern Transformers are pretty lightweight and feel kind of cheap. That's not to say they are, but it feels like it sometimes.

The old transformations probably just seem smoother because they're much less complicated and didn't involve as many moving or interlocking parts. Also, diecast metal has its drawbacks. It chips damn easily.

3. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I think the the g1 and g2 with diecast hold up better because of the diecast. And as mentioned the amount of parts that move and need to be interlocked for alt mode is mcuh greater now. Add that to ball joints. Ball joints are great for articulation but they can get very loose over time. So its really a trade off the things that make figures more posable and have both modes being better overall are the same things that make these figures less durable in the long run.

4. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Transformers, as a product, have continuously gotten better over the course of the franchise.

It's not a hard and fast rule, I find Beast Wars more appealing overall than Armada, for instance, but a current figure generally beats the heck out of a G1 toy, no matter how much nostalgia love I have for the G1 toy.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I certainly think there are pros and cons to both older and new TFs. For example, older designs may be bricks, but their transformation schemes are generally straightforward, allowing for an easier transformation/playability. On the other hand, the newer TFs have the retrospect of the past designs, allowing for such things as an arm popping off, etc.

6. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

In terms of difficulty - i agree TFs these days are trickier to transform than the G1s I used to play with as a child.

Build quality (sturdy) - I agree diecast is great on the old toys but I still managed to break off the plastic parts from the diecast frame. I tore bluestreaker in half. So, i'll destroy anything. If I had an all plastic TF back then, i'd probably break a lot of the tabs. But, if I did twist him in half, all plastic designs usually mean you can just pop them back together.

7. Red Hope

Red Hope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I definitely agree about pros & cons on the new vs the old. The one thing that havanowoncheese said about the ball in joint sockets is nice. The G1s really didn't have that at all.

But have any of y'all tried out these TFs that are designed for young kids? My nephew's Bumblebee has a button on the roof of the car. You hit it, and he pops open into a robot. That particular one is very difficult to put into and keep in alt mode.

My nephew has played with Powermaster Optimus Prime and Jetfire from G1. He thinks they're wicked cool, but he cant totally transform them. Powermaster Prime is hard because he's old and stiff. haha Happens to all of us after some time, I guess! :) 

8. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It totally depends on how many parts are made of diecast, and where the parts are placed on the toy. If the robot mode's top is mainly diecast, but the legs are made of plastic, eventually the weight of the metal will wear out the legs.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Both are quality toys. Now if you're talking DURABILITY, moden toys are MUCH more durable than the G1s. When Die cast broke, it broke. We were up shit creek. Nowadays the toys are designed to come apart if excessive force is used. You can pop an arm back on thanks to the joints they use now. Can't say that about most of the G1 toys.

10. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Takes helluva lot more to break diecast though.

11. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I prefer the oldies as do my kids. They are just sturdier... My son doesn't like the activators (that you speak of) for the same reasons. He even threw his and wanted nothing to do with it. He loves his Junker G1 ones though and so do I, it keeps him away from daddy's shelf ;) 

12. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    as far as quality, hands down G1. of all the G1 toys I ever bought, never had any problems with any of them. The new ones on the other hand....

13. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Older transformers are still being played with to this day, passed down to one owner to the next and they are still in playable condition, beit yellowed and loose nevertheless, they are still fine. This is due to the fact of good plastics and sometimes lots of diecast parts.

Todays transformers are entirely plastic (Besides MP's and BT's) and although the plastics are strong having no die-cast will limit there playablility a lot more down the track imo. Also their transformations don't help them either being very intricate. Leader class rotf prime is a good example. It's plastic isn't brittle but there are some transformations that will certainly stress parts over time.

14. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got into TFs after G1 so I have no idea what they were like. Generally however, I find that the G2 and Beast Wars era figures were pretty solid, minus the GPS factors. More often that not, there were very playable "toys" that still had decent articulation (at least for Beast Wars) and transformations.

Today's toys are awesome in the transformation, articulation and aesthetics department, but I often find that I have to touch up on them RIGHT after opening them. Ball joints, especially, are a bit too often loose, especially since the movie and Animated series came about. Some figures, such as WFC Prime, had this oily residue on them. They're fantastic figures and no problem for me since I can touch them up easily, but I feel sorry for any kid who had no access to techniques and a bottle of Future Floor at times.

15. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

G1 toys don't feel any sturdier to me so I'm not exactly sure what everyone here is talking about... The die-cast won't make the plastic any stronger... G1 toys actually feel more fragile...

16. Lacimehc

How does not having die-cast limit playability?

17. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    20 years from now I can only speculate that all plastic transformer will be limited to it's playability, some G1 figures are since not all of them have die-cast. But I'd like to see you try and force a tight part to move without a bit of poo coming out (unless your rich) especially if it's been untouched for so long. I can tell you I have G1 Raiden even if it is mint I was sweating buckets at times when I was combining him from all the "plasticky" noises it was making. BTW Raiden is a G1 transformer with no die-cast at all.

18. Lacimehc

But Die-cast parts won't make plastic parts stronger... All my Plastic G1, G2 and Beast wars figures seem just fine aside from the usual wear anyways...

19. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Certainly, I definately agree with this, but I think pretty much after season 2 transformers, less metallic bits were used in the toys for the susequent seasons. I remember when I restarted my collection in the late 90's and my mum walked in on me transforming a couple of headmasters and targetmasters and commented that they looked cheap compared to the one we used to but for you when you were kids. This is someone who is highly not interested in transformers whatsoever and even to her it was noticeable!

To me the metallic bits made the vintage G1 feel sturdier and made them have more of a collectors item feel to them than the season 3 toys and current classics (henkei/united which I collect) which are completely made of plastic. But I guess with the classics it might be a trade off, after all we are now getting highly screen accurate figures with lots of articulation and poseability so I can't complain that much!

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    You're talking about Activators, yes? Some do seem to be a bit more hair-trigger than others. Both my Bumblebees are fine, as are those from the first couple of waves, but I got Megatron, Soundwave, Optimus and Grimlock for Christmas and all four of them are a sod to keep in alt mode without going 'toink!' and springing open. Grimlock has something like three spring clip points and getting all of those to lock for dino mode and stay put is seriously frustrating. Pity really as without the touchy spring mechanism they'd be great little figures (even if the plastic quality on those four feels lesser than the first couple of TFA Activator waves). I can certainly see how it would highly frustrate a child playing with it.

As for which era is better quality I'm gonna be dull and say G1. As others have said their bricky and simple nature makes them more sturdy and easier to transform, which generally means more durable. Over the years I've become less and less confident when transforming my post-G1 figures as the joints get smaller and thinner and the quality falls. My G1 stuff easily survived the playtimes of my youth and 99.9% are intact even now, but I've broken a few of the modern figures even when trying to be careful. Sometimes I wonder how the newer figures perform when in the hands of kids giving them a damn good play with.