Old Schoolers! Your fav G1 toy memories!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ORIO, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Getting Overlord and having him spend the next six months before moving house beating down on Powermaster Optimus Prime, only to have Hot Rod and Flame save the day on a regular basis.

Before getting Overlord? I remember playing with Hot Rod a lot. Got Scorponok, but he never spent a lot of time out and about.

2. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    eing told from my friend's mom that i could go into the basement and take any tf i found, since he was a spoiled child, and being kind of pov when i came up with no less than 150 transformers i was in heaven, also getting another box lent to me by another friend with 100 tfs in it, i had the whole upstairs as a bedroom that regularly seen wars of tfs

3. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

My four fondest G1 memories:

1-I was eight years old in 84. I remember walking into a local TG&Y and getting my first glimpse of this...red semi. But it had an awesome robot on the front of the box. I turned it over...then learned it transformed from truck to robot and back again. I was hooked. G1 Prime was mine that day.

2-I'm ten years old at the local theater with friends, watching Transformers: The Movie. It's awesomeness. Unicron was incredible, and I was just floored by the deaths of Brawn, Ratchet, and Prowl. "Die, Autobots!" was so sinister it was seared into my young mind. Then Prime died...and I cried. In the theater. I just couldn't believe it.

3-One year or so later, Optimus Prime returns. For good. He lights the darkest hour, not Hod Rod. I almost cry again, this time with joy. My hero is back, and now "no force in the universe" will stop him.

4-Not much longer after Prime's TV return, I'm still bummed that my original Prime is missing his fists and gun. He's borrowing Ultra Magnus' fists but has no gun. My mom and I go to KB Toys. There's no Internet, thus no TFW2005, thus no news on new TFs. I hurry ahead to the TF section and see...this:

[​IMG]

I pick it up and just stare at it. I can't believe it. It's Optimus Prime, he's back, and he's got these new accessories and just looks...even more epic than he usually is. Powermaster Optimus Prime. I beg my mom to get them, and after nagging her, he's mine.

These are my best G1 memories, and are probably the most vivid toy-related memories in my life.

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    When I saw six, I got Metroplex for my birthday and Trypticon for Christmas. Growing up, my parents were far from rich and I didn't many Transformers at all, so even a dumb kid like me knew that getting these two monsters was a big deal. I lost most of the parts through the years and various moves, and they were the first two I worked to refurbish. Now they're both at my parents' house watching over my old room.

5. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Ahh what a great thread! This thread proves the longevity and strong spirit of G1. Yeah, the toys may have been unarticulated bricks but we all can't deny the great times we all had with our beloved G1 toys!

As for my memories, I will never forget when my mom suprised me with that cardboard put together TF base back in the day (85' I think). I was always playing with my TF for hours on end in my room. My Autobots had one corner of my room as a base and my Decepticons (since they could supposedly fly) had my desk as their base. I would have drawn out complicated battles all the time. Then when I got that base the Autobots were totally set. I had battles all the time with my Decepticons attacking the Autobot's base via different diabollical plans all the time. It was awsome! And it got better when I got Metroplex and Ultra Magnus for my birthday in 1986. Man those were great years for me with TF's!

6. jametron

jametron Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE! Taste Kittens…

News Credits:
    Waking up on my 8th birthday to find Optimus Prime, Trailbreaker and Ratchet all sitting on my dresser, nicely arranged in vehicle modes, courtesy of Mom.

Another fond memory is from later that same day... I was showing my neighbor, who was a retired truck driver, Optimus Prime. He thought it was a great toy truck... then I transformed him and he pretty much thought that was crazy :lol 

7. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    My favorite memories were:

1) Epic Bruticus versus Superion battles in my backyard. I only ever got toys for Christmas/Birthday, never in between. There was this big rock that randomly stuck out of the slope in my yard. It was the platform for so many Transformers, GI Joe, and TMNT battles.

2) Making cardboard versions of characters I couldn't afford, which was quite a few of them. My first one was a Transformable Starscream, meticulously detailed with a Number 2 pencil. I remember recording an episode of Transformers and pausing it on Starscream so I could copy his details.

Yes, never a crossover.

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Buying Transformers in Spencer's. (Transformers were so cool in 84 and 85)

Seeing Fortress Maximus for sale in toy stores.

Seeing Transformers take up both sides of the toy isles in 1986.

9. RainbowToeSocks

RainbowToeSocks Member

I would always play with my G1s in the bath which, looking back, was a poor idea. Stickers are completely gone and a bunch of rust on some of them.