Old Schoolers! Your fav G1 toy memories!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ORIO, Dec 5, 2009.

1. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My fondest memories of G1 toys.

My best friend as a kid Frankie had these wicked cool blocks. Before we'd play with our TFs a badass base was necessary. Sure, we had Metroplex and Trypricon (and always dreamed of having Fort Max) but these blocks made roads, buildings etc...

My parents bribed me with Transformers for everything. If I refused, bitched and cried about getting a shot. A TF had to be my reward. My parents would always bring me back a TF from a trip too (My Mom, bowling tournaments. My Dad, Tax seminars) but that's how I ended up with my G1 Terrorcons.

I also loved reinacting the scene from the 86 movie where Kup jumps on Blitzwing and blasts Shrapnel. But, I used Sideswipe and Bombshell :) 

What about you? What do you remember and miss?

2. Tm Tarantulas

Tm Tarantulas Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    my fondest memory of g1, i dont have many, since im a bw kid, was when my cousin gave me a g1 powerglide.

as a four year old my reaction was

"this sucks!"

then i gave it back.

hahaha

3. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

As a kid I used to love teaming up my TFs (Autobots, and some sympethetic Decepticons :) ) with my Joes to defeat Skeletor, Cobra, and Megatron. Actually playing with my TFs in the grass or dirt outside - the same ones that are insanely expensive in my glass illuminated display cases - brings me right back to being a carefree 7yr old in 1984. Playing "stealth recon assasination" type of missions with my friends, each of us with Megatron fully decked out with his badass silencer and scope. Pure awesome. The fascination that came from transforming even a minibot from a vehicle/something to a robot. I still get those types of feelings when I stare/gaze at my g1 action.

BTW - awesome thread.:) 

4. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I didn't get into TF until Armada, but I did watch the movie ('86) when I was about .. 13 and my reaction was "Awesome, but who the f*ck are most of those guys?" It took until about mid '08 for me to name the majority of them.

5. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:

And I always had a hard time playing with my toys with other kids. If we were playing with Transformers, we were playing with Transformers. If we were playing with G.I.Joe, we were playing with Joes. Never a crossover. For me it was because there was a story. And MASK didn't fit in with Ninja Turtles, y'know?

But... but most of the main characters were introduced in that movie. Especially by name. Who were you confused by?

6. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Everyone, but Optimus, Bumblebee, Megatron, Jazz, Unicron and Soundwave.

P.S. Sorry this isn't a toy related memory.

7. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't remember exactly how old I was but Trypticon was my birthday gift. It was the most amazing gift I had ever received up until that point lol. Better than the NES

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    hmmm mine would be getting 3 of the autobot minicars for my 13th birthday, never got many transformers untili started working and could buy them myself

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A favorite was getting the (G1) Superion giftset for Christmas '85, partly because I was hoping to get it ever since spotting the set at Sears (back when Sears carried toys regularly).

10. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Ahhh so many memories... Taking the MM Race Car Patrol to school & losing all of them by the time I came home... Scaring the sh#t out of our pets with Runabout & Runamuck... Pegging rocklords at our mates at school... Ahhh fun times... :lol 

11. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Watching 1st TF toon with my cousin, Powerglide and his girl.
    Priceless

12. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

I had a garage sale bought Prime when I ws young. He ws missing his hands but had everything else. I didn't mind, because I just pretended he had laser arms. Then my best friend at the time got Ultra Magnus brand new and my Prime was instantly junk. I fell in love. It ws so much cooler than Prime. I liked the colors better and he could become so much bigger!!! I used to go over to my friends house just to play with Magnus. I still love him to this day (not the friend, mind you).

13. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    It's a predictable one, but getting Optimus Prime for Christmas all those years ago, from my folks, will always stand out for me.

14. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Lot's of memories...

Getting Prime because the radio announced toy stores would no longer be selling them due to the metal parts. My Mum immediately went out and bought us the last one in Argos. I used to drive Prime about in truck mode with his fists still on, so he could drive-punch people.
    My second Transformers was Runabout, I thought he was wicked!
    I got Slag for my third TF, but his leg fell off while I played with him in McDonalds, and I cried so my Mum went straight back into store with weeping shild in tow, and got him swapped for Snarl.
    My brother getting the Superion giftset for his birthday, I really wanted Menasor but it never happened :(  Have him now though :) 
    There was a Powerglide toy thrown on the roof of my school, for years he was visible from the playground and I coveted him so much. Always had a completist mentality.
    I remember my brother stole Inferno from my friend Martin Cole. What a shit.
    I distinctly remember wanting to write a letter in to Jim'll Fix It asking to see how Transformers are made, because I figured at the end of the tour we'd probably be given a rare toy, I wanted Jetfire.
    Finding Transformers UK comic #103 in the local Circle K (they very breifly flirted with the UK market), my first experience to proper comics. Prime and Magnus...SIDE BY SIDE!

I also remember vowing to myself that when I was older and had my own money I would buy every Transformer. Getting close, I'll never have them all, but I at least have all the ones I wanted as a kid.

15. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    More...

watching Transformers Rebirth on a rental for the first time, and the power went out just as they threatened to hit the Earth with the sun (was that Rebirth). I remember Apeface saying puke was absolutely hilarious to an eight year old but I couldn't tell you why.
    One year for Christmas, we got a box filled with toys. All loose, but complete. This chap was selling a load of loose TF's and my parents went to him to get Galvatron and Grimlock, but ended up buying the lot. Awesome Christmas!
    Buying Transformers off of friends for virtually bugger all as they got bored of them. I got Jetfire, 'Streaker, 'Swipe, 'Screamer and about 10 others from a friend in exchange for Jungle Strike on the MD / Genesis.
    Finding a box of transformers toys in Mark Woolards (used to trade as Jabba's Hut) garage and buying them off him dirt cheap (including a complete Devastator!), he later went on to sell Transformers after the bottom fell out of the vintage Star Wars market.
    Meeting Paul the Spacebridge guy (must have been '96?) and buying G1 Trypticon and Omega Supreme for £130, it was the first time I'd found someone selling Transformers on the collectors market, and he knew what he was talking about.

16. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    My grandma got me Trypticon from a garage sale, he was missing all of his accessories except Full Tilt and the light up tower. My favorite memory was sitting in on the kitchen floor trying to figure out how in the hell to transform him and what all he could turn into. I knew he was a Transformer but had no idea who the hell he was or what his transformation was supposed to be. I still have him and when I started collecting I had to make sure he was complete, I'm still missing Full Tilts gun but that don't bother me much. :D 

17. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Favorite memory is probably my birthday party in October of 1985.
    I got Omega Supreme from my parents and a slew of TFs from my friends at the party.
    All my friends brought their TFs over as well, we had a HUGE war that night in my parents living room. =P

18. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

I have this exact same memory. That was one of the best christmases I ever had as a kid. For me tho it would be the very first time I played tfs. I had g1 ironhide. We were dirt poor and it was so awesome to have a nice new toy that was all mine instead of sharing it with my brothers. It was before we even knew what the bad guys were called. We ended up pretending to be a old broken down van in order to hide from "the bad guys". In retrospect, this did not turn out to match ironhides attitude in battle, but we didn't know any better.

19. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

I remember being very happy when I was given my Optimus Prime (can't remember if it was a birthday or a Christmas). I still have him, although he's rather the worse for wear these days.

Getting the Menasor gift set for Christmas was also quite special for me, since it was one I really wanted a lot. Still have him, too, and when I found him in my parents' loft, he was in much better condition than I remembered, too :) 

Also, not a toy memory, but still G1. I'd been off school ill, and when my dad came home from work, he'd bought me three packs of stickers for my Panini TF album to cheer me up :) 

20. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    G2 green megatron, G2 yellow scrapper, and Powermaster Darkwing

versus

Powermaster Optimus Prime, Sizzle, Action Master mainframe, and the Micromaster Autobot Millitary Patrol.

Fondly remember rapid fireing the missiles from g2 megatron as his electronics made loading and fireing noises. And Optimus Prime having that extra base mode all those small autobots could interact with.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009