Old School Thundercats

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by UltraMagnus3786, Dec 15, 2011.

1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I just recently bought seasons 1 and 2 from Amazon... it was an impulse buy for sure, but I don't regret it!

Some of the episodes stand up by today's standards, so far most do not. I absolutely love the first episode, and the appearance of Grune was awesome too-- I hadn't remembered this ep from back in the '80s, so my first encounter with Grune was in the new TC show.

Anyone watch through some of the old eps recently?

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I watched through a bunch of them a few weeks before the new cartoon premiered. Still love some of the old stuff. The Grune episodes were great, and so were the ones featuring the first appearance of the new Thundercats. I loved the episodes featuring more of the mythology building they had in the 3rd season with the Treasure of Thundera. Also, I don't know why, I found it awesome when I was younger, but man seeing Claudus and Jaga share use of the sword in that episode looked really silly now.

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i watched a bunch of it when it was on WB's on demand.

while i do like the series, it was the voice acting *which was really terrible* that really kills the series. it just sounds like everyone is either really bored, or doesn't know they're acting.

4. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    You should hear the outtakes where a bunch of them are downright cursing :lol 

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I picked up the complete set a couple of years ago and enjoyed them all greatly. Many I'd never seen before. I think it stands up pretty well even today.

6. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Most of the performances were a bit monotone, usually Tigra's and Cheetara's, but I thought Larry Kenney usually always brought it as Lion-O. I think it's awesome he's voicing Claudus in the new show.

7. UltraMagnus3786

I think Panthro was above average as well. But did they only have 6 voice actors for the show? Seems like Cheetara's voice is used for every other female character.

Is there a complete series set, or just the seasons 1-2?

8. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I like how Panthro is Dr. Huxtable's dad.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Here in the UK there's a complete set with 130 episodes (that's all of them, yes?). I bought the four six-disc sets as each got released along the way though. Dunno about other countries with regards to a full collection set. But it looks like there were four volumes available for Region One which pretty much amounts to the same thing when put together.

DVDs - Play.com (UK) - Free Delivery

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I only bought Season 1, I have fond memories of the show but it doesn't hold up well today.

For example, Grune the Destroyer, he ravaged Third Earth hundreds of years ago right? So how exactly is he a good friend of Jaga?

Still, if I see S2 for cheap in the UK I'll pick it up, but for a long time S2 was an HMV exclusive, and they kept the price astronomically high for a while.

11. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Every time I try to watch classic TC, I get bored... There must be some really great episodes, but I never make it.

Thank goodness for the new series though!

Seems like I can watch vintage GI Joe and TFs like nobody's business, but Thundercats and He-Man haven't aged as well... Still love the franchises, though.

12. UltraMagnus3786

Oh wow, well I guess I have all of them too. For some reason they're listed as being seasons 1 and 2, but do extend the full 130 episodes, whereas wikipedia lists the show as being 4 seasons.

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Maybe in the UK because we were behind seasons 1 and 2 were lumped into one year, whereas in the US because you had to wait for them to be made they got stretched out?

I find that about Thundercats too, some episodes are just... crap. Some of Transformers is crap and I'll sit through it but the extra... nostalgia helps gloss over it.

MOTU is awesome though, dunno why but I love it. If I didn't already have all the UK volumes I would be all over the US full series box set. Why did the UK have to spot release MOTU episodes? WHY?

Hey while we're talking about Thundercats, anyone remember their 'follow up'?

Silverhawks?

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

oh i have. :lol 

that would of made a more interesting series. indeed!

:lol