Old School G1 fans... what brought you back?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by battleboy, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I left shortly before Beast Wars. The toys just held no appeal to me, and I never saw the show, so that was that. I have never liked the Beast Wars organic aesthetic, and I never will.

When Armada showed up, I was curious, but from what I saw, it just didn't do it for me. The toys looked dumb.

Same went for Energon and Cybertron. I wanted to come back, but they just didn't seem worth it. I saw the Dreamwave comics. Didn't like 'em.

Then the local comic shop got some stuff in. Minibot keychains and WSTs. I got some. I picked up a few Alternators. Ordered Masterpiece Prime. Heard about the movie in development and classics figures. Looking for classics figures, I picked up Cybertron Downshift. It was good. Picked up all the classics.

For a while I wanted to boycott the movie. After Pearl Harbour, I thought I wouldn't be seeing any more Michael Bay movies. But I decided I'd pick up a few of the better toys. Deluxe Barricade and Brawl. Hugely impressed. It was at this stage that I realised I was hooked.

2. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James The JUICE

Two words: Beast Wars.

3. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

IDW

4. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    RID got me back in full in 2000.

I didn't care for Beast Wars when they were out, but when I later watched the series, I realized how great the writing was, and ended up getting some BW as well.

I completed my G1 collection in 2007 thanks to a good job with good bonuses. I recently sold off a chunk of it for reasons I'd rather not get into, would have kept them if I could have.

I do have a complete 84-85 collection, most of 86, some other select G1 I did not want to part with, and a 100% MIB Japanese Fort Max

RID, A/E/C I still have the ones I want, sold the ones I didn't.

I'm not getting everything as I used to, the movie toys, while I have a lot of them, I have not kept up on them like I did with Universe/Classics. I will get Bludgeon, though.

I am also really looking forward to the new Animated toys, for sure, and hopefully more Universe/Classics style toys will be released. :) 

5. Rhapsody_Prime

Rhapsody_Prime ...such Heroic Nonsence.

I put Transformers on the back burner for several years until my wife and I went in for tattoos to celebrate one of our many anniversaries. After that, the sparks was sent spinning again. So upon realizing that I had missed out on loads of cool toys/cartoons/comics, fighting off the resulting depression, and finally putting my other hobbies on hold, I began collecting again and posting here at the circus.

...that, and Leo Convoy.

End of Line

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Car Robots Super Fire Convoy review on IGN is what got me back.

7. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I started liking Transformers from Beast Wars to RID. Once TF shows went to cable, I lost intrest in collecting since I do my collecting for the sake of the characters. Then, Cybertron brought me back since it aired on Kids WB as well as on-line. When I finally got expanded Cable, I watched Animated as well.

8. Rookbartley

Rookbartley Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Walking into a Target in Holland, MI back in the summer of 2001 and I saw RID figures. I was like "oh my gosh, they are back to being cars!"

9. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Left during G2 because of the cheap looking garish toys and the complete lack of new fiction (we didn't get much of the Marvel G2 comic here) plus I was becoming a teenager and toys had little interest to me then.

I came back for Beast Wars, my first figure was Dinobot but I still passed on a lot of the toys. Dinobot was my only BW toy out of the 1996 range. I eventually started buying the toys much more frequently during the Transmetal 2 era.

10. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

Beast Wars piqued my interest a little but I thought the toys at the time were a little crappy looking. As far as the G1 toys, the invetion of ebay was like a God send for me. Then I saw that Takara was releasing some of the G1 toys in a 15th Anniversary edition and I purchased most of those. Dreamwave comics took me to a new level even though it was kinda cheesy story lines. TFC collection really brought me back.

I could never get into RID or the Unicron Trilogy. I thought the cartoons were terrible!

Classics line was phenominal and every G1 fans dream come true.

11. sherpole

sherpole Undiscover Talent

Ebay:
    intro first : saw the G1 cartoon as a little kid. only time parents buy me is galvatron, white optimus prime (ultra magnus?) Combiner Superion & ....i forgot..

so time pass by and busy with high school and what bring me back is Beast Wars
    Beast wars basically a new G1 for me.

Stop again after underwhelmed beast machines.

back again bcos Energon and till now

12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

I dont' care what anyone says.... best TF series of all time

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Fixed.

14. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thats right!:thumbs2: 

15. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I had forgotten mi intered in collecting. I had just a BW TM Dinobot, but I was not interested in getting any more figures, after I saw this:

Car Robots Opening

After that, I knew I had to get that Dragon. After that, came Fire Convoy (RID Optimus) and the rest is history.

Thanks to Car Robots/RID I came back to this awesome Fandom.

16. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My collecting seriously dropped off after G2 ended, and I didn't collect much regularly again (except reissues) until I read a review of Galaxy Force Vector Prime, and liked it. I also saw the upcoming club exclusive Skyfall. Because of them I went and bought Cybertron Vector Prime when it came out and picked up a clearance Energon jet of the same mold as Skyfall. I was impressed by what they did with these toys. I picked up a couple energon, RiD and Armada toys that were STILL in stores at the time because of this, and ordered some Beast Wars and Machines on ebay.

17. marvoflg

marvoflg Super Powered Warrior

News Credits:
    Odd as it sounds, it was Beast Wars Megatron. I picked up him when I was in college being a huge Dinosaur fan as a kid and my love of TransFormers. From there it went downhill quickly as I started to collect Japanese Beast Wars figures....

18. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Yeah as far as toy collecting goes, it's the classics/universe line that has brought me back.

19. cgibsonREX

cgibsonREX Knight of Cybertron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I was to young during G1, I mostly remember TransFormers from its second run as G2. Then the Ninja Turtles came about Power Rangers etc...

Then came Beast Wars and I started collecting, I stop when Beast Machines came out. I did some R.I.D. but it was the IDW comics and the movie pulled me back in.