Old School G1 fans... what brought you back?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by battleboy, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Jeff Steele

Jeff Steele TRANSFORMERS FAN SINCE 1984

I never gave up Transformers! :) 

2. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    :confused: 

3. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Left when G2 toys started rolling out and was gone until Binaltech toy caught my eye on a website I use to browse.

4. Sigmadead

Sigmadead Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Heh, here goes a long story..

Of course, same as most of you, I grew up watching Transfomers and loving them to death. We didn't have cable or anything so I just got to watch one tape of the old series from F. H. E. and TF the Movie. I had a few of the toys from the movie (Blurr, Blaster, Hot Rod and Kup) somewhere down the line picked up Grimlock, Slag, Powermaster Prime and Seaspray. And that was it.

Eventually the TF's were kind of out of style and I moved on to Ninja Turtles, but I always had a soft spot for TF the movie.

Time rolled on, and eventually DVD's came about, I cared more for video games than just about anything else. PS2 came out, and I was all about picking up DVD's, I go out one day and track down TF the movie. It reminded me of how much I loved the Transformers as a kid, so I started building up my collection again.. Mainly with the RID(Prime/ Megs, Sideswipe) Armada (Shockwave) , Energon (Rodimus), and an Alternator (sideswipe). I was just sort of getting into Beast Wars (Inferno) and Beast Machines (Ultra Jetstorm, Supreme Cheetor, Black Arachnia) Then my house burnt to the ground.

So, I pretty much gave up collecting. (I had numerous other collections going also, game systems, McFarlane figures, DVD's, Anime figs, music figs, about 20 long boxes of comics, Cds you name it, I probably had some sort of collection..)

So, I pretty much had nothing. Had to move back in with my mom for a while til I found a place. Was out one day, and ran accross TF the movie. Picked it up again and gave it a watch. Still loved it just as much as always.

I worked at wal-mart at the time, and one night while stocking the shelves I noticed Cybertron Starscream on clearance for $30. The main appeal to me was that it had the coronation crown, which of course reminded me of the movie.. so there it began all over again.. and the rest I suppose is nerdtastic collecting history..

5. battleboy

battleboy Admiral of Awesomness

Follow up question... How many of you are trying to rebuild the collection you had as a kid, whether through E-bay or reissues or whatever...

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Both this and a steady paycheck that was big enough to go purchase some of the toys I couldn't afford as a kid.

EDIT: ...and yeah, I'm pretty much just collecting to put together the '84-'85 lineup of characters, who are the ones I enjoyed the most from the original series.

7. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

2007 movie --> Googling TFs --> eBay

8. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    dreamwaves armada optimus

9. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Not here. Every toy I owned as a kid I packed up in a large cardboard barrel from my dad's former warehouse job and gave to charity. I wish I'd kept the Transformers now, and while my mother did decide to crack the barrel open before hauling it off to grab a couple, it was only a broken down Shrapnel and Guzzle. Gave the Shrapnel to my son couple of years ago, so Guzzle is the only toy from my childhood I still have.

In fact, he's all I would have entirely had it not been for my wife. For our first year wedding anniversary she got me the 25th Anniversary Masterpiece Optimus Prime. Since then I've gotten to collecting, but just a guy here, a guy there, very selective about it, even have my own odd rules to govern my habit/hobby. I have under 200 total right now, some store bought, others sniped from auctions, etc. It sounds like a lot to me, but then I see fellow fans with rooms full of shelves crammed to the brim with figures, and I know then I'm a lightweight.

10. Prime's Pappa

Prime's Pappa Animated Forever

animated brought me back for sure...best incarnation of TF ever IMO

11. Optimus_Khan

Optimus_Khan Well-Known Member

I'm in the Japanese toy hobby and it's always been around me but never paid much attention to it. I watch the new shows, got the tapes of car robot back in the day and all that. It wasn't until Optimus arrived on earth in the 2007 movie that I really lost my shit.

I had no idea seeing Optimus again, voiced by Peter Cullen would have such an effect on me. The score for their arrival was awesome. Seeing him get out of the pool... I mean goddamn I had no idea I would go so crazy for it. Since then I was back in the fold.

12. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

What brought me back? Beast Wars. Been back ever since.

13. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    When TRU first started carrying G1 reissues about 7 years ago I started buying some because I always loved them and was happy to start getting a hold of ones I never had as a kid. Combine that with the 2007 movie and here I am. Also, I've always been into Japanese mecha and robots.

14. tonks00

tonks00 spec ed

The movies for me, always had a fondness for TF, but I was too old (IMO at the time, you know cartoons aren't cool anymore when you are a teen) to enjoy beast wars and such.

15. FortressMaximus1976

FortressMaximus1976 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The Dreamwave comics in the early 2000's...and I'm a strictly G1 collector (or G1 inspired ala Masterpiece, Alternators, etc)..Could care less about the Bayformers...have hated 99% of the designs from day one (personal preference), and the ROTF only further solidified this opinion..ROTF Soundwave anyone!? I mean, c'mon, they could have done better than that piece of crap. I aquired a few of the toys from the first movie from a friend, most of which I sold off to get it out of my way lol

Sorry about the rant there..but yes the comics

16. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I never completely went away. I saw that versions of my favorite G1 characters were available online so I went for since I could afford it.

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Lost interrest around 1988 or 89

Beast Wars Prime & Megatron (ultras) brought me back

18. Duximus Prime

Duximus Prime Chronomancer

Ebay:
    Watched the G2 version of G1 re-runs as a kid, but Beast Wars really cemented it. Drifted off after Beast Machines. Believe it or not, it was my nephew's easter present Classics Hot Rod that got me back into collecting and being immersed in TF lore.

19. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

The G1 TRU Commemoratives and Alternators.

97% of my G1 collection was stolen in the past, so I'm slowly piecing it all back together again. At least Fort Max and Trypticon are out of the way.
    Since then, my G1, Encore and MP collection is going strong. On the other hand, I just recently sold all my Alts except my first (Smokescreen), to pay for my ongoing G1 fetish.

Hoping to reach 100 G1 figures by the end of next year.

20. billcosby

billcosby Just Another Geewunner

News Credits:
    Same as you. Except it was really Reissue Soundwave that brought me back for the G1 reissues. Later I picked up a Classics/Universe? Optimus Prime. I was impressed with the huge improvements made from the new mold, and my wallet has been bawling ever since.

I was wicked addicted to the G1 series in it's heyday.