Old School G1 fans... what brought you back?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by battleboy, Jul 25, 2009.

1. battleboy

battleboy Admiral of Awesomness

I was a G1 fan in my formative years, but stopped buying the toys or watching the cartoons somewhere in the early to mid '90s...

Last December, I finally got my own office and needed to decorate it. It may have been a month or two when I stumbled upon a 25th anniversary Universe 2.0 starscream. I now have a majority the G1 series 25th anniversary figs (minus the legends) and branching out into the Simon Furman comics...

So what brought you back?

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Who said we ever went away?

3. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    classics starscream got me back into collecting full time, but i never really went away, i had a few g1's always hanging out on a shelf somewhere

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I went away for sure. Had something to do with 4 turtles and Brain.

I came back to Transformers in middle school because of BW's. Of course, I didn't start buying toys until high school.

5. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Watching BW being aired peaked my interest a little bit.

When bought Armada Prime... that completely brought me over.

6. butz

butz slippery when wet

Beast Wars.

7. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Never left. :) 

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I sort of drifted way as more and more of the G1 characters were replaced by new characters can't really say exactly when I quit as it was one of those fade away things.

Beast Wars brought me back in. Just really loved how much character the series had. Then Beast Machines was a real let down so I drifted off again.

It was actually someone on a GI Joe board that got me to give Cybertron a chance. I sort of liked some of the toys even if all the episodes were not great. But then the Classics line came out and I was hooked. It's like the Transformers toys I wanted as a kid but we didn't have things like articulation back then or toy that always looked like the cartoon characters.

Now I'm just hanging around watching the fan fights as I wait for Universe to start back up to bring the fun back for me.

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Dreamwave.

10. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ze' Bay

11. Sangron

Sangron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Beast Wars

12. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

RiD brought back vehicle TFs.

13. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Although I grew up on G1 I drifted so far that I only remembered a few names from the seriers.

Beast Wars brought me back into colelcting full time(for the first time) and now I buy all things show character Transformers.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

14. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Walking through Toys R Us about 9 years ago and seeing some very cool looking new Transformers like a Lamborghini police car and a Dodge Viper. It was like seeing the original Transformers finally back after all of the dumb animal years (note that I've since come to really appreciate Beast Wars since then).

15. malteselegacy

malteselegacy Galvatron

I enjoyed the Beast Wars series...but did not get into collecting until I saw the first G1 Reissues in 2002..

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I "grew out" of Transformers around the usual age, I guess. It was the tail end of G1, so it had gotten pretty stupid anyway, but I always held an enduring respect for those early years.

I was impressed by the level of writing on some episodes of Beast Wars, but I couldn't really get into it. The toys never won me over, with the spindly, asymmetrical proportions and organic aesthetic.

Visiting home one summer, I found that a couple of old friends were playing on a G1 Transformers MUSH on the university network. We were already role-playing geeks, so it was an fun novelty. Man, we wasted a lot of time that summer doing that. That's when I created my fan character Smog, who became my screen name here. Somehow, that experience sparked my grown up interest in Transformers.

I was building Gundam models for a while, but hadn't started buying Transformers until I came across an Armada Nemesis Prime on clearance, just around the last days of that line. Man, that was a SWEET little figure!

It was all downhill from there... ;) 

zmog

17. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Half-alien transexual ninja door-to-door salesmen.

That's all I'm allowed to say.

18. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    i tuned out after G1...got back in for beast wars..tuned back out....

seeing the urban camo and desert camo versions of bruticus AKA Ruination did it for me....

I was like "that's cool shiznit!"....

19. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I left during G2. I didn't like the reissues, repaints, cheap looking new molds with garish color schemes, no new comic or cartoon series (never read the G2 comic back then) and I was becoming more interested in Nintendo.

Then I became curious when Beast Wars was announced. The toys looked interesting but seemed to be Transformers in name only. Dinobot was my first Beast Wars toy but even then I got my dad to pick it up for me since I didn't want to be seen buying a kids toy (I was 15 or 16). And Dinobot was good. I watched the TV show on RTL2 since we didn't have it yet in England and I enjoyed it. I watched as much episodes as I could when we did get it here. But I didn't buy many toys - I'd look at them in the shops but I would pass on a lot of them. I remember when they had a sale on Basics and I would count out pennies to buy £3 Transmetal 2 figures (I didn't really have much money back then). I suppose I remained a casual fan up until Robots in Disguise when I started becoming a proper fan again.

20. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it was a birthday present on my 17th or 18th my sis had got me Armada Demolisher so when I next went to the comic store I picked up the armada plus the G1 comic and ever since then I've been on the TF band wagon