Old School Altec Lansing Computer Speakers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I went to some yard sales Saturday morning and found this old school set of Altec Lansing computer speakers that are beige colored have "multimedia PC speakers" labeled on them. They looked to be from some time in the early to mid 90's and are about 10 inches tall, and included a huge sub woofer.

Anyway, I bought them for $5 and they have to be some of the best sounding speakers I have used in years, either this was a very high end set when it came out, or they just don't make them like they used to - anyway it was a gem of a yard sale find and I have been having fun rattling the windows in the house with the sub woofer and disturbing the neighbors by playing Dethklok at high volumes!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  2. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

That is a nice find.... I know I got a set of speakers of the same brand when i bought my desktop off a friend and they are great speakers. Four years after I bought my desktop and they are still good. I would highly recommend the brand to anyone. :thumb 

3. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    I see myself always have a good comment about Altec Lansing, their bass is just omph !

Mind share the pic ? It's not compulsory :D .

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I had a set similar to that for about 10 years and I only got rid of them because they started to crackle, legendary quality for thier day.

Thankfully Altec are still in the business of making awesome 2.1 computer speakers, so I managed to get an even better replacement set. They certainly wern't cheap thougth and only time will tell if they've got the same staying power.

5. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Ya some altecs sound awesome.

I had a set though that whenever you breathed on the volume knob it would emit this static-rabid-yak-shreak-of-death.

Pissed off at some of the crap quality speaker-in-a-box set at major comp retailers, I went to a thrift store the other day with a friend. And we seen a home Pioneer amplifier when they were having a "Twenty-five percent off Tuesday" and we did a tag switch cause at this place they tag the cord. It was 60.00 now 19.99 + 25 percent off got the amp for 15.00 and a phillips seperate 7.00 bookshelf set. Rigged a 5.00 powered sub to play off the center channel and bang bangity bang. Took a Y connector and hooked up a set of Dell speaks with a noisebox also to boost the lows. lol. sounds great.

Now I like to play this THX downloaded crap over and over cause it sounds great, and the opening theme to Top Gun.

6. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Sounds like the same speakers I'm still using. :) 

7. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    My beloved set of Altec Lansing ADA880s (some sort of dolby digital set with a huge sub) were ruined during a storm (they weren't turned on, but the plug was in the wall socket :( ).

That's a lesson, always unplug stuff during a storm.

8. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^Or have a good surge protector.

Back in College (mid 90's) I got a 2 piece altec lansing set and they were wonderful speakers. Even the audiophile with the $1000+ per speaker setup across the hall was impressed by them. The little port on top would push some serious air. When I sold that computer to my brother I gave him the speakers as well, as I had my new PC at the time hooked into an old stereo system I bought. The good part is my brother hardly uses them and I've actually been thinking about swapping them out on him for something else.

9. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Altec Lansing is what I've always used for PC sound. They always sound very good.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I have a 2.1 set of altecs - they do indeed pump out some serious sound and bass. I think my set was $100 and I got them 4-5 years ago, still going strong.

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My city's school system every few years pays a company to haul off old PCs and accessories for recycling.

Early in '07, found out they were warehousing the old stuff to be picked up. I went to the Superintendent's office and worked out a deal. i paid 25 dollars and was given permission to get what i wanted.
    I got 4 sets of Altec Lansing Speakers, among other things.
    I got one set plugged into a Discman in the basement(sounds great!)
    Replaced the crappy speakers on my Dad's PC, and gave a friend a set for his laptop. and the other set I keep as a backup.

No offense, but as good as they are, my 15 year old bookshelf speakers from an Aiwa stereo is all i will use on my PC.

12. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Altecs sound incredible. Always have. I'm into using my HTIAB (home theater in a box) for surround sound at this point, so the Altecs are useless to me, but they are excellent in terms of construction and sound quality.

Wait. You're freely admitting that you changed the price tag to make the price lower? I'm reading that right?

...that's despicable.