Old Man Logan

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Blue Meanie, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Who's reading this series. I am really liking it, although I am pretty sure I know the whole backstory by the second issue already. Its drawn really well and has a great post apocalypse feel. I haven't really read anything wolverine since Origin, which I hated. I am much more into the Chris Clermont era wolverine, where before the weapon x project he had no claws. I can't accept the bone-claw wolverine. But this story is good so far.

2. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    I am loving the story sofar. And I do agree, the way its drawn looks very apocalyptic and done nicely. Wolverines story makes you feel sorry for him because he's not the Wolverine that you know. Come one, Wolverine a pacifist????? And that scene depicting how he was "broken" was nicely done. I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

3. Blue Meanie

I think I have it figured out. Don't know if what I think is going to happen would be a spoiler so I will keep it to myself. I don't know how to post spoiler links.

4. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    So this is a part of the 616 universe??

5. Mr.Roboto

News Credits:
    Just use the lighter shade of gray for the text:
    LIKE THIS

6. Blue Meanie

[possible spoiler?] Last time someone broke wolverine, he killed everyone. I think directly or indirectly he killed the heroes. Thats why he says he'll never use the claws again. Its why he tried to kill himself in front of the train, its why he said the only reason he's alive is because the broke him. He killed everyone! lol. Its just drawn like he feels he has great sins to make up for. Not just that he got his ass kicked. [spoiler?]

Or maybe thats the dumbest thing you've ever heard.

7. Mr.Roboto

News Credits:
    Actually, it says it right there in the comic as to why he doesn't want to fight anymore. Basically after everyone else got their ass kicked they just left him alone. They beat him up and all but didn't give him the courtesy of killing him. To him that was stab in the heart. Imagine, you're the toughest S.O.B. and everyone knows it, and throughout the years you came to believe it. Then the day came when it was time to prove to the world once again how big of an S.O.B. you are and BAM, nothing!! All the villains just said, "F' him", what can he do to us...." No one was scared of him anymore so his ego just flatlined. But what I think would happen is:
    of course in the end he is going to kick some ass, but at the cost of his family who will be killed. His family always dies, he can never be happy. He will eventually rule all of America.
    At least that is what I want to see. :D 

8. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I liked Millar's last Wolverine story, I've also been interested in the character of Hawkeye lately. I haven't read Wolverine for about two years now, but this storyline is the first in a while to make me want to get the trade when it comes out.

9. Blue Meanie

Actually that was Hawkeye's story.

10. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I'm loving it so far, but I thought how they "broke" Wolverine was really stupid. I mean, the guy has fought all these villains before but they super friends team up him? Blah, whatever. The guy had every woman he ever loved die, usually in front of him, or because of him? And this "breaks" him? Really? haha

11. Blue Meanie

See thats why I think there is more to it than they just whooped him. He did something, he's responsible for something real bad.

12. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Picked up the first three issues, and I really like it, but it just weird. The whole Hawkeye, who his ex-wife is the daughter of, and the race of his ex-wife, made me re-read this pages like three times.

Inbred hulk grandchildren are funny.

Spidermobile is funny.

Hawkeye is worth reading the book just for him.

The book starts out to be Unforgiven, but with Wolverine, at least to me.

Spoiler:

I don't think wolverine was trying to kill himself on the tracks, to me, when I look at all of those flashback panels, it looks like he is putting his hands on the track so the train will cut them off.

13. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Funny: Baxter Building on top of Loki in the middle of Wyoming = awesome.

We get to find out what happened to him in the next issue.

14. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

I think your theory is on to something. I'd add that the scene where he was fighting the villains could actually have been where his senses got tampered with by Clyde Wyncham or whoever... and the villains Wolverine THOUGHT he was killing were actually all the other X-Men, or other innocents. And that'd be why he can't use the claws again, because he can't trust his instincts anymore. So we'll see if this holds up for the next issue.

15. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I was also thinking what if the villains weren't attacking Wolverine. What if he went berserk and the villains were attempting to stop him?

16. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Been reading it a little, it's quite predictable so far and the writing in spots is really bad too. And despite the fact Millar referred it to Dark Knight Returns, it's very clearly and only if he plopped Wolverine and the Marvel U into Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven. Which isn't a bad thing, but it's not very subtle about it either.

It's nice seeing McNiven work a lot looser, after the last few years of super tight pencils. Maybe his next big project won't take 16 months to finish, yeah?

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    slightly off topic, but a question that has nagged me for years:
    Wolverine has the bone claws instead of the adamantium and so it hurts every time they pop out.
    okay, every fight he gets into, he hurts a lot till he heals.

my question is, how long can a person go on hurting themselves to fight?
    speaking as someone on insulin, i sometimes skip a day and stick to a pill rather than stick myself- doesn't feel worth it. i sometimes know it will hurt and that thought makes me procrastinate an extra 5 or 10 minutes.

so, ya think maybe that it isn't just pacifism that keeps him from popping the claws? Pain just to bear 'em, pain from using 'em, pain from every angle he can think of, just ain't worth it so much sometimes?

18. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    That might have something to do with it, but it's been pretty clear from the flashbacks that something bad happened, and knowing old drama queen Wolvie, he's probably somehow to blame for part of it - or at least thinks so.

Why else would a guy who is the best he is at what he does turn into a wuss?

19. Optimus17

Optimus17 Well-Known Member

I have been reading this series. It's really awesome! The art is great and the story is great. I agree with The Spider. Logan was probably tricked into killing friends or innocents. That's why he won't use his claws anymore.

20. Blue Meanie

Spoiler alert

{ Looks like I called it. He Killed everyone. I love the way they did it