Old laptop fix. Need help! xD

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Big_Daddy, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    I have an old Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo-D CY 20 laptop that I bought in 2000 or 2001. 1ghz Intel Celeron processor, 128mb RAM, and a 10gb HDD. It runs Windows ME.

My wife is going to the university next year so I thought I'd try to fix the laptop up just for her to surf and write on, basically. The HDD is fried so I have to replace it.

This is where it gets tricky. :) 

I have all the original recovery discs, drivers, etc, stored on CD-ROMs that came with the computer. Replacing the HDD is easy enough, but I can't run the recovery discs since the CD-ROM is fried as well. I thought about booting from a USB memory, but the BIOS doesn't support booting USB devices. I've been searching for a BIOS update which, if I'm lucky, will let me boot from USB, but I can't find any BIOS updates either...

Also, I have a very old external USB CDRW that I bought loads of years ago when the internal CD-ROM malfunctioned, but I still can't boot from it since the BIOS won't detect it when booting.

Also tried fixing a network for easier access to the laptop and maybe a network install, but I'm not that lucky. When the HDD fried, some of the Win system files were damaged, so when I try to setup a network connection, I get the BSOD...

So, any idea on how to fix this? Haha! :) 

2. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Seriously, in computer years, that laptop is obsolete. So many things have failed on it that it's not worth getting it back up and running.

You'd be better off buying a used, working laptop, or one of those new small Acer laptops. They sell for a fraction of what laptops used to go for.

3. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    Well, the laptop is in great condition otherwise and hasn't been used for five years, so everything else is in good working order, and replacing a harddrive is cheaper than buying either another used laptop or a mini-PC. Plus, it's kinda fun to tinker with :) 

And as it's only going to be used for minor internet surfing, e-mail, and writing, it has all the prestanda I need.

4. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

If you had a Windows ME disk alone, you might be able to put the new HDD in another working laptop, load the windows ME onto it, take out the HDD and put it back into the older laptop and that should do the trick. I did this for a similar old laptop, used Toshiba to put windows ME on a HDD and put it into an old IBM.

Another solution, hunt down a working CD Rom disk reader and swap out the old one.