old G1's - 2 questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Schiedam79, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Schiedam79

Schiedam79 Member

Ebay:
    Hi there,

I know it's not an excuse, but I have been searching around and haven't found anything on this subject. But please correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, I had 2 questions I wanted to ask. They're about my few original G1's.

Does anybody know what to best with al the chrome wear. Just keep it there or is there a way to 're-chrome' them? S
    omeone told me this isn't possible with just paint, so I want to know for sure.

The other thing is about www.reprolables.com. Is using these for replacement a 'do' or a 'don't' in your opinions?

That's about it for me and my questions.

See you around!

Björn
    The Netherlands

2. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    I don't really understand your first question.. but then again i'm not an expert on chrome either..

People here use reprolabels all the time.. not sure if it devalues the figure.. but i know people use it for knock offs and whatnot

3. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I'm not too familiar with chrome loss and/or preventative maintence for it, but as far as reprolabels go, they're great. But make sure you clean your toy first before using them.

Heh, that sounded kind of dirty.

4. Schiedam79

Schiedam79 Member

Ebay:
    Well, for example, a friend of mine tried to restore his G1 Groove with silver paint, which is used for painting model kits. Now it really looks... different! ;-)

Then I started to look for chrome paint, but couldn't find any.
    My uncle (who is painting en building model cars all the time) told me that chrome can't be put on as paint, so that was the reason I couldn't find any.

So I just wanted to check that on this board.

Thanks for the answer on using reprolables!

5. adam-x

adam-x megazord activate,,

cant you use the chrome foil that you can find at hobby lobby.
    I used to use that on bumpers for old model cars works fine on plastic or metal looks just like chrome.

6. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Chrome consists of a thin layer of metal added in a vacuum. It gradually flakes off over time.

If you detached the parts and had the proper equipment, you could re-chrome them.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

You could always take them pieces to a bicycle shop and have them dip them for ya .

If you try the foil method, give cheebs a pm, he's been using it for awhile and is probably pro at it by now. Hav'nt seen him on in awhile though , wonder where he's been?

Or check the kitbash forum, there's a stickied thread at the top of it that may have your answer

8. Schiedam79

Schiedam79 Member

Ebay:
    Thank you guys!

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I honestly can't recommend Reprolabels highly enough; they are absolutely brilliant. I've used them on a lot of my G1 stuff, and they're fantastic. Excellent customer service too.

10. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I also rate Reprolabels very highly, their stickers have given a new lease of life to a few of my more tired G1 combiners and the customer service is top notch.

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Never dealt with chrome, but I'll echo Draven and aussiehippy's comments on Reprolabels. I've only gotten a few things from them, but everything has shipped fast and been extremely high quality reproductions.

12. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Really? A bike shop? So I have a taken apart G1 Soundwave, if I took those parts in to my local bicycle specialty shop they could chrome the pieces for me?

On the Reprolabels thing, if you're going to doll up vintage G1s and sell them as 'excellent conditon, no sticker wear', then you better ID the stickers as reprolabels. Otherwise it's a matter of preference. I've used them for kitbashing a bit, they're great quality but with the costs going into making them they are quite expensive if you're going to be using a lot of them.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007