Old fanboy evaluates new RiD

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by herugrim, Mar 8, 2017.

1. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    I wasn't anxious to watch this show, as I didn't care for Prime (heavy emphasis on cartoon design and writing emphasizing the kids, especially Jack who I just didn't like) so a sequel show wasn't interesting to me. I only watched it because they put the whole thing on Netflix and I wanted to put something on.

While I didn't like Prime I have seen it all through Beast Hunters and will admit that it did get better overall (though treasure hunting arc was weak). The plot got better and the action was at least good. But RiD doesn't see that improvement at all and feels like a big step back.

Netflix lists it as three seasons. I am aware that this is two seasons, with a miniseries and that the next season for this year hasn't started yet. I also know that fans prefer to think of the miniseries as part of the second season rather than being the third, calling it 2.5. Personally don't think that matters at all. Call it what you want. The second season is much shorter than the first, which was an average 26 episodes, so that's a marked decrease in content. Second season is a measly 13 episodes. Miniseries is 6 episodes. Why does it feel like the next season, whether you want to call it season 3 or 4, feel like it's going to be a "Rebirth" situation all over again?

People say the plot doesn't move much. More like it doesn't move at all. Series is so syndicated it could be the modern day, preschool equivalent of the original Star Trek. You get maybe, sometimes, one or two lines at the end of an episode that actually hint at a plot. The only time that plot is relevant is the season finale and the next season opening. The rest of the season is entirely irrelevant.

Instead we are 'treated' to character plays, of the same handful of characters, over and over. "Look how unique this character is! Watch as they interact with the other character that they have already interacted with in this same exact way for many episodes!" Characters aren't developed at all. They are given no history, and they don't evolve over time. They are locked in these preadolescence stereotypes; the pretty boy, the girl that always follows the rules, the big dumb guy, the small, smart, quirky one, and the leader who always takes everything too seriously. Oh, and the samurai. Can't forget the samurai. If he isn't a Ninja with magic powers (Animated, Prowl, dear God) he's a samurai.

"But it's a kids show, pal! Y'know, fer kids!"

So was Prime, but it still had a plot. Same for Beast Wars, Gargoyles, Spider-man, X-Men, DCAU, Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Ninja Turtles (4Kids), certain seasons of Power Rangers (In Space, Lost Galaxy, RPM, etc...). Just because a cartoon is kid friendly, doens't mean it has to be stupid or can't have a progressing plot and character development. You can make a show "for all ages" that is clean and morale for the kiddies and still doesn't insult the intelligence of the viewers, then there's "cash in" shows that target the lowest common denominator hoping to appeal to the biggest audience, often failing in the process.

I'm 33 years old. I'm a nerd and I like to watch cartoons, and I like transformers. I can still Marathon Beast Wars from the beginning to the end without loosing interest, I can tolerate Prime even though I don't like it. RID is just plain bad. And while an episode of RID compared to an episode of any Unicron Trilogy show, RID looks much better. However while the Unicron Trilogy was very poorly written, it at least delivered in a ton of content. Each show had 50 episodes for a total of 155 episodes covering a large number of characters over a number of story arcs. It was stupid, but it was a lot of stupid in a short time that at least amounts to a good amount of content. RID is a slightly better show, with a fraction of the content. If it wasn't for Prime being decent, Unicron Trilogy > Aligned Continuity IMO.

tl:dr - Watched the show. Didn't like it. Only show that I would consider worse by comparison is Combiner Wars, and that's all Machinima's fault.

sidenote: Fixit needs to get fixed. That stutter got real old after 30 episodes.

• Like Like x 6
  2. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I only stick with the current RID because I absolutely loved Prime. Had RID not been connected to Prime in any way, I most likely would've given up after about five episodes or so.

3. LynKey

LynKey Well-Known Member

Wanted to point out: Best kids show I´ve seen.

I would argue about character development. There is at least a little.

4. AirjitzuRonin

AirjitzuRonin Well-Known Member

There is a plot. A slow one but a plot nontheless. The plot makes itself obvious every few episodes, only not progressing in filler which I should mention is in every series you compared RID to especially Power Rangers. I'm pretty sure this guy didn't like RID and thus suffered through the epiesodes, missing the plot. Character Development occurs a lot as well. That's the purpose for the Character Focused fillers, which all the shows he mentioned, especially Power Rangers have.

Prime also had a plot.

I think by plot, he mean't a central booklike story instead of a everchanging plot like thatvof Prime or RID which change based on events.

• Like Like x 1
  5. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    No, by plot I mean story, a series of events that tie together into a cohesive narrative. There is none of that in this show, like I said outside of literally one or two lines at the very end that hint that the season finale. 20+ episodes of filler with one minute advancing a plot does not a story make.

Also apparently you guys don't know what "character development" is. Developing a character is using an event, either past or present, to illustrate what defines the character's personality. It can be a flash back showing why Arcee has a chip on her shoulder, or something that causes her to change, evolve so that she accepts her role as caretaker of a human child (using Prime as an example).

Character development requires actual development, something happens, something changes, something is defined. A character showcasing their personality (gee, look how clumsy Grimlock is. Watch him deal with being clumsy, only to be just as clumsy in the next episode, nothing is explained, nothing changes) is not character development. At the beginning of the show each character has their archtype (Big and Clumsy, by the book, vain showboater, quirky nerd, serious leader, staunch samurai), each character showcases their archtype in an episode. The reasons for these personalities are never examined (I suppose if you count Prime you could make an argument for Optimus or Bee, but it would be a weak one, and only with Prime) and they don't evolve at all.

I watched every single episode, paying as much attention as I could because it was as boring as Energon, but with a much smaller cast. Nothing interesting ever happened. I didn't like Prime, but I can't say it wasn't interesting.

This show is 90% filler and the rest is meek.

6. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Well-Known Member

I think you got your maths wrong. 50 x 3 = 150, not 155

7. AirjitzuRonin

Character development is also the act of developing a character's personality. The character will be faced with a problem based on how they act or a quirk of theirs which they'll need to fix to solve the problem. This will change how the character acts in future episodes. You know this however since you said "past or present".

Also, the filler is part of the main story. Since you clearly missed the first episodes, the Bee Team were tasked with recapturing the Deception Prisoners. It just so happened that Megatronus, who was banished after killing Solus Prime, used his power to bring down the Alchemor prison ship. The ship split into two halves and one half became Decepticon Island, where Scorponok, Glowstrike, and Saberhorn ruled over the Decepticon prisoners and Mini-Cons who were guarding them. One prisoner from the other half named Steeljaw wanted to form an army to rebel against their Autobot captors. The Autobots capture Decepticons with the help of their human friends while constantly running into Steeljaw who wants to free the Cons they've captured. Meanwhile, the Primes train Optimus to fight Megatronus while, Prime appears to tutor Bumblebee. The council who will be an important PLOT!!! point later send Jazz to investigate the Alchemor but he realizes the handling of the problem is in good hands. The council (PLOT my friend, PLOT) then puts a bounty on Bee's head for unauthorized use of the SpaceBridge. Rival Bounty Hunters; Drift and Fracture and their Mini-Cons arrive to capture Bee. Bee saves Drift's life so Drift helps them fight Fracture. Fracture gets away and Drift leaves. Later Jetstorm leaves Drift and runs away to Earth causing Drift to return and join the team. Megatronus gets Steeljaw and his gang of Underbite, Thunderhoof, Fracture, and Clampdown to bring him to Earth. Windblade, a warrior heroine upgraded by Primus himself awakens due to the coming evil. Steeljaw and his gang free Megatronus so the Primes give Optimus a portion of each of their power. Megatronus turns on Steeljaw, throwing him off. Optimus returns to Earth and the team kill Megatronus. The Primes take their power back causing Optimus to weaken. The Team split up to continue looking for Decepticons. Optimus, Sideswipe, Drift, and Windblade leave the team's scrapyard base to search the world for Cons. Bee, Strongarm, Grimlock, and Fixit stay in Crown City. Steeljaw finds Decepticon Island and forms an alliance with it's rulers. After an elaborate plan, he frees a group of captured Cons to help Decepticon Island become a fully operational ship to leave Earth. After a few battles with Steeljaw's new group the Away Team returns and the group are met by Ratchet and Undertone who were sent to capture war criminals by the council, who it turns out have caused Cybertronians to hate Team Prime. A Mini-Con who escaped Decepticon Island arrives and warns the Autobots of the Island. The group raid the island and finally wrap up the problem with the Alchemor. Ratchet and Windblade leave with the ship. Prime joins them to investigate the council. The group aren't allowed to return to Cybertron and meet with some of Prime's old friends to resolve the problem. Meanwhile, the Bee Team bump into a group of Scavengers and their Weaponizer Mini-Cons who are on the run from Starscream. Bumblebee calls Prime back to Earth. Sideswipe and Drift's Mini-Cons/Fixit get into a fight. The Mini-Cons get captured and so does Bumblebee. Prime returns and leads the team to rescue their friends. They ally with the Weaponizers and beat Starscream. Prime leave to investigate the council. Next Season, will deal with the council PLOTLINE. Did I mention too many PLOT details. I'm sorry I spoiled RID15 for you since you were watching the bootleg version with no plot. The plotless bootleg is impossible to find so you must've looked far and wide. I would recommend watching the real version so you can see the plot. The plotless version you watched seems non-existent. Especially the fact that the storyline of catching Decepticon criminals isn't in any of the filler.

I'm not saying don't hate RID15. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion however, the show does have character development and a plot. Maybe you don't like the plot or characters but that doesn't mean those things aren't there.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Who says you have to have seen G1 to be an old fanboy? Maybe he started with Beast Wars?

Also, G1 was over thirty years ago. I'd like to think standards of storytelling have improved since then.

You say "bias" like it's a dirty word. Having a bias is having an opinion. You can't really say someone is entitled to their opinion then basically say he's not justified for doing so.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AirjitzuRonin

I thought about both of this after I said it.

10. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

RID is honestly a pathetic excuse for a Prime sequel. The "criminals" aren't Decepticons, they're just petty thieves who look like animals and got the 'con insignia slapped on them. Bumblebee started using Smokescreen's body-type, and downgraded his arm cannons to pea-shooters.

11. Scourgatron

Scourgatron What of it?

News Credits:
    My kid started watching this crap. Monstercon of the week. I tuned out after the "shiiinnnnyyy!" Bird episode.

12. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Crazy. I see all the things in this show that the op claims it lacks.

For the record, character establishment is just as important as character development. TFP had very little of either (though I still enjoyed TFP). RID15 has a good dose of establishment & a bit of development.

By establishment, I mean we get to learn things about the characters like how Rear Axle is BB's favorite rock band, how Grimlock is afraid of kittens or hides his injuries for fear of letting the team down. Establishment is getting to see all the bots watching horror movies with Russell & getting their reactions to it.

Development is seeing Sideswipe stick up for Strongarm when Fixit gives her a low score, or Windblade & Strongarm becoming besties after the rocky start they had. Or watching Bee come into his own & having to stand up to his father figure.

It may not have as many episodes as the 3 separate series of the Unicron trilogy, but I have always valued quality over quantity. And for my money, I'd gladly watch the worst episode of RID15 over the best episodes of the entire UT.

• Like Like x 6
  13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I can't figure out why this description sounds so familiar. OH, YEAH: every other Transformers cartoon ever.

• Like Like x 4
  14. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

Bumblebee has a moment in the show in that Nightmare episode when his biggest fear is letting Optimus down, everything is on fire, which I think might be based on Kids who fear letting down their parents. Which I myself had moments like those.

15. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kind of agree. I also wish the main cons had more screen time. The main villains are treated more like recurring side characters.

16. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Except Animated and Beast Wars. Heck, even movie Optimus has been showing more development.

• Like Like x 2
  17. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

If you're going to bag on the excuse plot as not having a plot at all I think you're the one who's going to have to explain how it doesn't have a plot instead of relying on Internet meme Yoda speak to try to get your point across.

Ironically you wrote a huge essay on how the show doesn't have a plot, but never explained that in lieu of going on a long tangent on other shows like you're trying to show your geek cred.

18. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

Yes, because Transformers: Prime and Transformers Animated NEVER had flashbacks to expand on characters' backstories. That's why we never saw Bumblebee and Bulkhead get kicked out of the Elite Guard, or Ratchet's past with Arcee and Omega Supreme, or Optimus losing Elita One and taking the fall for Sentinel in Animated. It's why we never saw Bumblebee lose his voice box, Megatron turn against Optimus, or Arcee watch Tailgate die in Prime. It's not like we had an episode about Arcee growing close to Cliffjumper while dealing with the grief from losing Tailgate, and that episode was the debut of Shockwave in Prime, right?

• Like Like x 1
  19. AirjitzuRonin

Even weirder, when I explained the plot of the show, he didn't respond and stopped talking on this thread.

20. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

I would've understood him if he said the plot was bad, but going to that length of hyperbole just pinched a nerve.