Old Computer Died, How Can I Sync my iPhone to a new Computer Without losing Data?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by TfAnimatedfan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    My Old computer is dead. I'm pretty sure iTunes has got my back on all purchased content but how can I sync my iPhone to a new iTunes library without having to restore? Someone here has probably had a similar problem so I'm hoping you guys could help.

I want too keep my iPhone as it is now. I want to avoid losing contacts and other data. Any program recommendations/advice are welcome.

Edit: I've got an 32gb iPhone 4 running the latest version of iOS4(4.2)

Double Edit(all the way across the sky): My iPhone is not Jailbroken.

2. TfAnimatedfan

News Credits:
    Shameless bump. I still need help.

3. galvascream

galvascream Apple Junkie

News Credits:
    It should copy all the data onto iTunes, like it did when I got the Macbook Air, if not, log on to iTunes on the new computer, see if that helps.

4. TfAnimatedfan

News Credits:
    It won't give me the warning about not be able to sync without restoring? I'm concerned that I'll have to wipe the phone.

I'm currently out of a computer. I have not brought a new computer yet. I was trying to prepare by getting advice from this thread so I knew what to do when I got a new computer.

5. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Best thing to do when you get the new computer is; go into iTunes and open the preferences. Go to the Devices Tab and check the option that says Prevent iPads, iPhones and iPod Touches from syncing automatically.

Then go to Store at the top of the computer and Choose Authorize computer enter the iTunes account name and password used for any itunes purchases.

Once that's done, connect the iPhone, right click on the name under devices and choose to back up. That will back up settings, high scores in apps, contacts, calendars and notes.

Then right click and choose transfer purchases and that will take all purchased apps and media off.

At that point you're set, if you have un-purchased content you will need a third party program to remove that content.

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I use yamipod. Before doing ANYTHING else, use it to transfer all the music off the ipod and onto your new computer, and then add the transferred music back into itunes. Verify the files in itunes and you should be good.

You may have to resync/restore, but at least you won't lose anything.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  7. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    He's going to want to make sure the device isn't set to sync automatically before anything else. Same with backing up the setting on the device. Because at times the iTunes will sync data automatically

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's also good to have a back up of files on a portable flash drive for emergencies.

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I meant even before installing itunes on the new box. No itunes, no problem. I did without it completely for years with my nano.

Then again, this is an iphone and I really have no idea if programs like yamipod work on them.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  10. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    AFAIK, yamipod won't work with iPhones or iTouches... At least not as on iOS2.2.

11. adolphhill5

adolphhill5 New Member

Syncing an iPhone with a New Mac by Copying Sync Data
    1. Quit iTunes and disconnect your iPhone with neither an old computer nor a new one
    2. Open the Home folder and copy the following directory from the old computer to the new one, located at "~/Music/iTunes".
    3. Now open the user library directory and copy the backups from the old computer to the new one, located at "~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/".
    4. Copy over iTunes Preferences files as well:
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist
    5. Once all files are replaced on the new computer, connect the iPhone to the new Mac and launch iTunes, authorize the new computer and all data are stored in the iTunes of the new Mac.

Syncing an iPhone with a New Windows PC
    1. For windows 7 users, the instructions are basically the same as above, but the files and folders you are looking to copy are stored in different locations. You'll need to copy the following directories and their contents from the old PC to the new PC:
    C:\Users\USERNAME\Music\iTunes
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Preferences\
    Here, the "USERNAME" is the user's account name, obviously.

2. For older versions of Windows users, iPhone backups are located at the following location instead:
    C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
    Now launch iTunes and connect the iPhone, it should synchronize normally without any problem. Just authorize iTunes with your new PC and proceed, you'll be able to sync your iPhone with the new computer without worrying about the loss of data.

12. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yow, this is why I don't much like iTunes.

I just buy the CDs (yeah, I know, but I live in the past) and then rip them onto MP3 to a bitrate of my preference, then copy and paste it into whatever device I'm using.

Not having that freedom to just do what I feel leaves me cold.