Okay, someone tell me... Why are there so many used PSPs for sale?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Hook, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Be it the junkion exchange, or my local video game store, many PSP owners seem to be getting rid of their console. Why is that?

I must admit, I'm thick-headed. I've wanted one since day one, because of the Metal Gear Acid games and a few favorites such as Burnout and GTA. Plus the fact that it doubles as a multimedia player and has wifi.

So convince me here. Good? Bad? What's up with the PSP?

2. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    More than likely they like the DS games better.
    People will usually get rid of one handheld to switch to a different one.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I really, really like both systems and could not stand to not have them both.

from what I've observed, the PSP goes through long periods where nothing even remotely worth playing comes out. during these periods, a lot of people trade their systems in towards something elese, only to pick another one up when the game flow picks back up later on.

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well the games ar overly expensive for being lower quality than their console counterparts. In some cases the PSP versions retailed for more than the console versions. The movies were way overpriced. Broswing the internet on the PSP is not fun. As for WiFi, good luck finding anyone in your area who not only owns a PSP, but who owns the same game.

The games are ok. Metal Gear Acid is way, way overrated. I grew bored of it quickly. My PSP hasn't been touched since February. Once the DS Lite comes out, my PSP will be going bye-bye.

5. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    The DS is winning, and many people don't have time to play both.

6. honestgabe

honestgabe I

My buddy is a huge videogame collector and hes very much a completist. He bought a PSP when it came out and after about 2 months of owning it he sold it with the lot of games he had on ebay and bought a bunch of DS games instead. There just seems to be better games on the DS

7. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    NO FRIGGEN GAMES... That's why...:banghead: 

8. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The selection of games isn't great when compared to the DS. Of those games that are available, some are just lazy ass rehashes of pre-existing games. Splinter Cell; Essentials being one.

It's heavy.

The large screen eats battery life.

The text entry system on the browser is clunky at best.

That said, at one point i had a DS and a PSP. I traded the DS in against my 360 and kept the PSP. I found the DS extremely uncomfortable to use

9. funkatron101

Ebay:
    More than anything for me is so many games for the PSP have rediculous load times. It's portable, which means games on the go. You can't be satisfied playing 3 minutes of Smackdown after it took 5 minutes to load.

10. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Also true.

The lag time on Sc: Essentials is very annoying.

11. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

cause games are $40-50...i would rather buy the console version at that price...

or maybe they're waiting for the redesigned PSP that is supposedly coming out...

12. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

To be quite honest I'd have to say that the DS just has better games all around; it's got rareities like Trace Memory and Ace Pheonix Attorney at Law, it's got classic updates of fun games like New Super Mario Bros., Sonic Rush and Kirby Canvas Curse. (Or so I've heard; I'm not as big into Kirby games as some people, although they are hella fun, I wish they'd port the SNES Kirby title either to DS or GBA.)
    And the price is most likely a huge factor too; most DS titles go for 40$ tops in Canada wheras the PSP titles... Well to be honest I've never bothered checking their prices... For as long as I can remember Nintendo has been tops in the handheld videogame market, with Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and so on... Sega tried to compete once before with Game Gear, but I don't recall that lasting a very long time.
    Sony may have offered a lot out of the gate for PSP, but at that price; I mean come on it's the same damn price as a console system.

Nintendo DS blows it out of the water; as evidenced I'd say by all these pre-played PSP's showing up and the like, I hardly think it matches sales with DS titles/hardware and I doubt it ever will.

The DS may be awkward to hold at first, but once you get used to it there's a hell of lot more bang for your buck, not even stuff like Maverick Hunter X or Mega Man whatever is going to make me buy a PSP... If they did something with Kingdom Hearts though I'd probably kill somebody... Er, well maybe not.
    All I can say Hook is; if you still want a PSP even with the poor game library then by all means don't let anyone detract you, but if your schtick is classic platforming fun, RPGs or just plain wacky titles like that attorney one then I'd say stick with the DS, it's better. (And 9 times out of 10 I'd wager you'd find somebody more willing to play wi-fi with the DS then the PSP, plus Nintendo's Wi-Fi is free I'm not sure on the PSP.)

13. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

DS has more, and better game quality, plus you can also put GBA titles on it, which puts alot more games out there for you. So far, it only seems a good PSP game hits about once every other month, besides 3 of there launch titles. Filed Commander just his PSP, and it about 99% the same as Advanced Wars on GBA/DS, but the inclusion of a true online besides Ad Hoc helps it out.

14. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I'm selling mine to fund a family vacation to my bro-in-law's wedding next month. I like the system and all, and it has nothing to do with DS or anything like that. We just didn't save up enough money in time and need to sell off something valuable enough to make it worthwhile.

It's up in Junkion right now if you're interested. :)  We can talk price if you want.

15. OmegaScourge

plus the fact that most movie companies now aren't (or will not be) supporting the UMD movies due to the super duper bad sales....so now, the PSP is just like the DS, a handheld game console :D 

and some games that get ported to the PSP has the GBC-on-the-GBA effect, where the sides aren't being utilized (though the GBA gave you the option to strech the screen)

16. RiceCrackaSTI

RiceCrackaSTI Well-Known Member

I own both, and I can honestly say that the PSP just isn't has fun. Granted, it beats the DS in terms of raw horsepower, it can play movies and MP3's-but the majority of people buy a portable gaming system to*gasp*play games and have fun. Graphics in a portable system come second IMHO. Not saying the PSP is a bad system by any means, but the cost I think is what kills it for what you're expecting and / or getting. Mario Kart DS just plain rocks online, New Mario Bros. is awesome 2D goodness, Metroid Prime: Hunters is awesome online, the new Zelda DS looks interesting, and Nintendogs was even fun. I tried starving my puppy, but we won't get into that...

This is why I think the Wii will do well. It's going to cost less, you'll be able to play all the oldschool NES, SNES and N64 games (Super Metroid FTW!!!), and ones from Sega and the TG16. The Wii looks just plain fun. I know that's where my dollar is going.

17. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I <3 my PSP. But not for PSP games.

I love having all my favorite NES, SNES, and Genesis games on the go anyplace I want them.

Add the movie playing factor, and it's just completely worth the money to me.

I have both the PSP and DS, but out of the 2, 80-90% playing time goes to the PSP. (Especially Mutant League Hockey on the Genesis Emu ;)  )

18. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Replace that with Mutant League Football and that was me until christmas when I had to upgrade my PSP in order to play Smackdown. Then I said to hell with it, bought a DS and haven't looked back.

19. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Aside from Emulation there are only 2 games that truely interest me, Sterrt Fighter Alpha 3 Max, and Darkstalkers. Combine that with Sony fighting homebrew EVERY chance they get (A stupid thing in my view, emulation on the PSP would be a selling point) and you can see why I do not want one. Combine that with the stupid pricing on the games and it's a big time no sale, unless of course I can get a used early firmware version cheap to play emulators on.

20. OmegaScourge

maybe this is why....the trade in value is less than the DSlite (which is cheaper than the PSP)

http://ds.qj.net/DS-Lite-trade-in-value-more-than-Xbox-360-in-Japan/pg/49/aid/45819

PSP is 15,000 yen
    DS is 14,000 yen
    DSlite is 18,000 yen
    360 is 15,000 yen
    PStwo is 15,000 yen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.