Okay i have decided to give G.I. Joe a chance

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by guard convoy, Jul 11, 2009.

1. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    okay, i have always been mildly intrested in G.I. Joe and i have decided to try to collect it. i got about two g.i. joe figures from years ago (a red cobra commander like character and a destro from the sigma six era, but is still the small scale) and i really want the U.S.S Flagg (hey seeing as my luck at the local flea market with skyhammer and fort max, nothing is impossible, if i find one tomarrow i'm goin to explode). anyways my wal-mart has been terrible in getting g.i. joe figures, so the best place to get them locally is the local hastings......they got those hall of fame things, also some single carded ones, and finally they got a couple comic packs and they do have the 25th anniversary cobra set with the main bad guys (and my fave version of cobra commander, mirror helmet FTW)....i will probably pick that up tomarrow after the flea market.....and my local dollar general has tons of those g.i. joe figures that have no weapons and really small cards for about $3 bucks a piece.....any must haves? and any recommendations as to how i could start? i ain't goin to stop the transformer collecting, i just want something on the side to give me more of a variance in my collection

2. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh boy...where to start?!

Personally, I like the figure construction of the 25th Anniversary/Rise of Cobra stuff. The vintage stuff is cool, but the level of detail and articulation of the newer molds is so much better. Kinda like comparing G1 versus Classics. Nice modern updates of older stuff...but the vintage stuff still retains it's own "awesome sauce".

You said small carded figures for around $3? I'm guessing those are the Valor vs. Venom releases. Had some good designs, but I didn't care for the molds on most of them. A lot of the figures had new shoulder/arm joints that made them look too buff...esp. the female characters.

Since the Rise of Cobra movie stuff is starting to hit local retail I would suggest you start there. If you can find clearanced 25th Ann. stuff then all the better. I saw the Target exclusive Tiger Rat jet on clearance yesterday for a meager $6.

If you have luck finding stuff @ your local flea market for cheap then you can't go wrong there. I know a lot of collector's that mix and match stuff from across the years/lines so ultimately just buy what you like.

If you buy loose figures and need accessories/weapons, I have a lot in my eBay store that are cheap. If you decide you need any just let me know you're from TFW2005 and I'll ship the stuff for free.

In the meantime, hop on over to Hisstank.com as there a lot of Joe fans there that can offer you their advice/opinions as well. Yo Joe!

3. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

I would suggest the relatively recent Cobra 5-Pack, or if you're more of a Joe type, go for the Joe 5-Pack. I'm referring to the one featuring the core characters.

For Cobra, you get Storm Shadow, Baroness, Hooded Cobra Commander, Zartan and a Viper.

The Joe set has Ninja Snake Eyes, Lady Jaye, Hawk, Flint and Shipwreck.

Both sets give you a nice selection of the core characters, especially with the Cobra set. Even if you find Joes are not to your tastes, then at least you'll have the main characters.

I can't speak for the movie toys, since aside from Destro, none of them interests me in terms of design... or in the case of the female chars, their face sculpts.

But generally speaking, I find that modern GI Joe toys are all about the same, so just get whichever you think look the coolest. I know that sounds blasphemous, but I mean it in a good way. It isn't like with Star Wars, where the articulation is inconsistent between figures. They mostly all share the same basic engineering, and said engineering is solid work.

4. ShockWave_AZ

ShockWave_AZ Shock and Awe

News Credits:
    My must haves are the GI Joe: Resolute figs. The design of each one is the best update I have seen to Joes in years. Also, depending on your location Target stores been clearencing all their 25th Anniversary figs and vehicles. I have backfilled so much of my collection thanks to these sales. Here is a link to HTS for the Resolute Joes:

G.I. Joe - Resolute - Great Toys & Games At HasbroToyShop.com

5. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

This X 1000.

6. guard convoy

News Credits:
    okay i am back, and this was my $7 haul from the flea market (i researched most figures i could)

this is all for $7:
    hotwheels with kitty figureine (lol) and cybertron excellion $1.50
    first movie swindle (transformer) $0.25
    Sargent Slaughter (second edition):$0.25
    G.I. Joe Hammer (the jeep that belongs to sargent slaughter third release i think it is. came with third release sargent slaughter and one of zartan's goons, the one with the cheetah like clothes):$2
    bag of assorted g.i.joe parts with broken rubberband cobra pilot figure (repaired when i got home with a rubber band) and some random robocop figure:free with purchase of the hammer
    second release of sky hawk (silver):$.50
    some kind of helicoptor i couldn't identify(like a compact coptor, got a bubble like front and has a fan on its tail and two blades):$.50 (both sky hawk and coptor came with a figure each, one was broken at rubberband and repaired)
    rerelease of the motorized tank (1998, no treads):$1.00
    and some gobot dinosaur from the playskool line

all figures were from around the year 88

7. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    One of us... One of us... One of us...

I'd go to Target and get ALL the GI Joe (25th) stuff. It's all on clearance for the movie. Get the Movie "Pursuit in Paris" Snake Eyes (And a couple of the vehicles, they look sweet)

8. guard convoy

News Credits:
    lol i priced the cobra set at hastings that i was wanting.....$46.....hell no, i'll get it for about $25 without shipping on ebay

9. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Cobra 5 pack?

10. guard convoy

News Credits:
    yea, the one with helmet cobra commander, baroness, destro, cobra trooper, and storm shadow

11. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, it's pretty sought after.

The Cobra Viper and Baroness are the best part of that pack.

12. guard convoy

News Credits:
    pics of the haul:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

turns out i got blizzard, Gnawgahyde, Scoop, and the locus from 1990.....still can't identify that last red cobra-trooper like figure

13. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Gotta get Resolute Cobra, it's just so neat.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    robocop wearing a laser viper helmet?

15. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is it rare? Cause I have two at my local Wal-Mart, and like 6 at my local TRU.

16. guard convoy

News Credits:
    yes now i know what it is :lol  it was in the bag of parts and it fits on his head (i originally had the tan hat on him lol)

17. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now that's a well spent $7!

18. guard convoy

News Credits:
    lol in other news, swindle is a nice suprise, quite a fun figure, too bad people say he sucks, that is why i never got him before, but i said what the hell at $0.25 lol