Okay, I admit it: Animated = Awesome

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rev_Pee_Kitty, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Rev_Pee_Kitty

Rev_Pee_Kitty Order Malkavian-Dobbsian

After being let down by the last few animated shows, and seeing the ridiculous character designs for TF:Animated (c'mon, do they all need Jay Leno chins?), I didn't even give the show a first glance. I don't have cable (or really watch TV), so it was easy to pass up, and I didn't bother looking at any of the toys. I just stuck to collecting my Classics/Universe toys and the occasional movie toy.

But I kept seeing all these stray quotes about how good the show was, how neat the toys were, and how true it was to the spirit of G1 while keeping a modern sensibility, and all that... I didn't really believe it, but it stuck at the back of my mind. So when I was standing in Blockbuster with a free movie pass, and I saw the TF:A DVD, I figured I'd be horribly closed-minded if I didn't at least give it a watch.

And... wow. I mean, really, wow. The opening had me hooked, obviously (I actually yelled to my wife, "THAT'S THE BEGINNING OF THE CARTOON!", then when she was confused, "NO, I MEAN THE G1 CARTOON!") and the characters and plot were actually pretty darn good. Honestly, it was on par with some of the best G1 plots (which, let's be honest, weren't amazing).

So I finally sat down in my local Target and finally LOOKED at the toys. Picked 'em up and studied the robot modes, the alt modes, the features, the weapons, all that. And... man, I couldn't deny that they were (for the most part) pretty well made. They looked... fun.

So I just picked up Animated Leader Bulkhead. And frankly, if I had time, I'd submit a full review for him. He's more fun than even Universe Onslaught, and that's saying something. I've never had a TF with this much PERSONALITY. From the way he cocks his head when he talks to the arrangement of the lights to the thought put into making sure that everything folds away so he looks just like his animated self... five out of five stars, easily.

So now it looks like I have yet another line to start collecting. And I was so close to not being broke again... sigh...

(Quick question: Is Activators BB as good (or at least close) as Deluxe BB? I only buy one of each character, and if Activators BB isn't much worse than Deluxe BB, I'd prefer that one, I think.)

2. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    good job...that u gave it a chance, i mean...its a truly awesome line

3. Gouka

Gouka Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Transformers Animated!!

As for the Bumblebee question: Unless you are real picky when it comes to scale, Deluxe is the way to go.

4. Autobot-Girl

Autobot-Girl is possibly insane

TFA FTW! I have all of the Autobots + Blackarachnia exept for Sentinel and Ultra Magnus. I never can find them in the stores near my house.

5. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    I personally think Activators is better then Deluxe. The deluxe is too big compared to the others. Plus the Activator is awesome to transform.

6. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

Seriously, who doesn't like the animated bulkhead?(A quote from my wife)
    one of the best toys ever made(Both V and L class)

7. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Activators BB is a cracking little toy. Pretty much as posable as his big brother, and in better scale to boot. Or, you can buy both. Like me. :D 

8. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Animated definitely tries to deliver if you give it a shot. :D 

Glad to hear it wasn't a let-down for you!

9. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    oh sorry, didnt see ur question about BB..i have deluxe coz i thought it was the best at the time, but activators BB is much better...better size accuracy, and a better figure overall.deluxe BB just looks awkward, IMO...i have all the current figures except blackarachnia (i dont like beast figs)

10. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

LOL... that's how I felt about it in the beginning. I'm just glad I gave it chance early ... get a good jump for the all the toys. :D 

I have both... I pretty much like all the activators because it's just so fun transforming them.

11. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Let me also vote for Activators BB. I have 2 Deluxe, and the Stealth Bumblebee, but if it's scale, I like the Activators best by far. But maybe that's because I only have Voyager Bulkhead, and even though his look is more show accurate, he's too short.

12. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Animated Swoop is awsome! The fact that it isn't as fragile as his G1 counterpart is nice...

13. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Get Deluxe BB and Activators CJ. That way you get both the Deluxe and Activators Bumblebee molds.

14. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    Read this thread, and then read another one.. *giggles*

15. BHB

BHB Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I have Leader Megatron and Blitzwing so far, I wasn't going to get any more but I've recently been tempted.

I'm thinking about getting Voyager Starscream, Voyager Prime, Prowl and Lockdown. Are these good choices? What order should I buy them in, ie which is best? Thanks.

16. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Prowl and Lockdown are the best of that bunch.

17. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

simple answer to the bumblebee question.

get the deluxe bumblebee, and then the activator cliffjumper :) 

18. ad0nis01

ad0nis01 Well-Known Member

I'd go with Prime, Starscream, Prowl, and Lockdown in that order. Or you can just buy the entire lineup to make things easier.

19. BHB

BHB Well-Known Member

Thanks dude, thats pretty much what I was thinking too.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Hooray, good for you, Animated is great, etc, etc...

Also: yes, they do need big chins, it's part of the design. GET. OVER. IT.