Okay... game-related use of the name "Hot Spot" by Hasbro around 1999?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nevermore, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I just noticed this:
    http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=75733565

Hasbro have the name "Hot Spot" registered since 2001 (filed in 1999), but not directly related to the Transformers brand. Rather, the definition of intended uses is "Equipment sold as a unit for playing an electronic parlor game". Does anyone know if and where Hasbro actually used the name in this context?

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?page=cs_instructions&letter=H

The instructions for the game are listed there, looks like it came out in 1961. The trademark might have been for an electronic handheld version, they did this with several Milton Bradley board games like Battleship, though I don't think they were ever that popular. They might have not made it far enough to release Hot Spot.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Don't they have it for use as the name of a toy as well? I thought The Micromaster Sixturbo Neo-Wheel mold was called Hot Spot here...though I admit I'm pretty out of the loop as to how the trademarks and copyrights work, so pardon my ignorance.

4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Yes, but the name was taken from an original Protectobot from G1, the question here is how did a Transformer name end up on a trademark for an electronic board game. Though if what I found is right, it would mean the name was borrowed from the board game first.

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    No, 'm not asking "how did it end up there"; I'm asking "did Habsro actually use the name in commerce in the stated context?"