Ok, what is up with ROTF Leader Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Spoiler, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    For being such a horrible figure and the fact that everyone complained about him, why is he so much money now? He goes and shelfwarms, and all that jazz, and now, people want a bunch of money for him? Someone help me out here, I just don't get it.

Or is it because all of the custom makers are buying them, in order to make their DOTM leader Megatron? Because that is the only reason I seek one, but I'll be damned if I am gonna go and pay out the ass to get one, just to tear it apart.

2. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    A lot of people passed on him waiting for a better figure from DOTM, that didn't happen; and may or may not happen in DOTM's second line.

3. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

It's just people deciding it's time to pick their definitive movie Megatron and calling it a day.

He'll come back down when the movie buzz goes away.

4. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

People are realizing he wasn't as bad as they once thought he was.

5. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ No, he's AWFUL. Only redeemed by the head sculpt.

I got mine for $10, sold him for $20. Guess I should have held out longer? :lol  Even if we disregard the latest "insider info," there's a fair chance we will see a good Leader Megatron out of the DotM design in the next year-and-a-half. Don't break the bank, guys...

6. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    ROTF Devastator is going for big bucks too. Last I check it was $200.00 for a boxed one.

7. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    For starters, he really isn't a bad toy. But most importantly, most protesters (for any arena) are small in number but big on mouths so what appeared to be EVERYBODY hating the figure was just a minority that love to scream about their hatred for it while the many more who did like it kept quiet thus giving a false impression of everyone hates and noone loves it.

8. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

^ THIS

If I cared for movie figures enough, I'd pick up megatron cuz what would Optimus be without Megatron?

Seriously, I don't think he's worth picking up unless you plan to customize it.

9. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I don't mind the figure, I have one myself, but I am not about to tear that one apart to make a custom. Accuracy wise is where I am not thrilled, but again, the figure itself I don't hate. I meant to put quotes around the horrible word, because of all the hate that was going for him, and the fact it was a shelfwarmer.

10. Buzzwave

Buzzwave Banned

I still think that movie 1 Megatron is the better figure /flameshield !!

at least he wasn't a rusty truck!! he was an effin space fighter ufo thingy!!

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I'm one of the people who still think the ROTF leader Megatron is one of the worse figures of the line, but namely because the design (which I thought was stupid from the beginning) somehow was made even worse in toy form. I already had issues with Megatron's stupid weak arm, but when something that bloody small has MORE articulation than the full arm, because the full arm is entirely rigid thanks to the stupid gimmick involving the tank cannon, that's a problem. Not to mention his alt. mode is just a giant silver brick on treads and with the cannon arm as the turret. And the visible head.

I'll admit, the head kicked some serious ass, and the one on the DOTM voyager is disappointingly small without the cloak hiding the fact it's so small, but the voyager at least has two working arms, along with a look that isn't a walking potato anymore.

Although one of the great losses with movie Megatron is the fact he didn't get SHOCKWAVE's body. Now THAT is how you do a cybertronian tank. The cannon is even on the right arm. But why we got Potatotron with one gimpy arm and one giant brick of an arm instead of a cool design like Shockwave, the world may never know.

12. Wuffles

Wuffles Well-Known Member

Anyone care to share with me why its such a bad figure? I haven't seen one in person since they were in stores and I wasn't really into collecting then so I didn't pay it much mind. So I'm just curious

EDIT: Guess the post above me answers that. Haha. Sounds terrible

13. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Well I like him.

14. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Not to mention, you have the ultimate badass that was Leader Optimus, that was damn near perfect. Then you look at Megatron and go...WTF... Jetfire, was Jetfire, they only had so much to work with, being the alt mode was so damn thin.

15. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Makes a body wonder how easy it would be to headswap ROTF Voyager Megatron and DOTM Voyager Shockwave, and if it'd still transform.

16. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

That must be a sign of some sort of completest-related syndrome.

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Yeah, that always bugged me about how Megatron just sucked compared to Prime. Jetfire is sorta excusable, since his whole point of being is to become the super armor for Prime (and unlike the movie be REUSEABLE super armor, not parts-from-a-dead-robot super armor in ROTF), and his alt. mode from the top is pretty damn impressive, but it PROBABLY could have done without all the panel forming.

I suspect a headswap could be performed, but no go on the transformation. For some reason, the designers have this concept of "having the head be able to see out the front by being blatantly exposed" when it comes to Cybertronian tanks, and sadly Shockwave is no exception. At least he TRIES to hide his head inbetween the middle treads and the leading wheels and has a nice cover that blocks the eye being seen. That cover, though, is sculpted to fit on Shockwave's curved head, and probably would not accommodate Megatron's squarish-noggin. Removing the cover to fit the head in alt. mode, therefore, just replicates the "no effort gerhead" issue that the first two versions of Megatron had.

18. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

He makes me glad I don't collect leaders. The Voyager is great and MILES better than that abomination

19. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    -All of the ROTF leader figures who were not Prime were short packed. Prime was in every single wave where as Megatron, Jetfire, and SC Megatron were all only in 1 wave each.

-Most stores only got a couple of cases of leaders (if they got any at all).

-Many people thought DOTM would improve on the toys but to date the only Megatron we have gotten is much smaller then leader Megs and is not much bigger than a deluxe.

-DOTM is currently the 5th highest grossing film worldwide and only a few thousand dollars away from being #4, it is safe to assume that a lot of people out there like the character.

All of these things add up to make a recipe for higher prices.

20. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ohh, see, it's even more bitter for me. I agree that the toy is an abomination, but I think the design is actually really sweet.

The Leader is clearly based on an old design. Moreover, it's objectively awful: the tank mode is ugly as sin, and the robot mode can barely be posed at all. He's like Energon Shockblast, but less interesting.

The Voyager got the cannon/sword arm right, but has giant wings, is a deep shade of green apparently just for the sake of worsening him, and his smaller arm has the missile-firing gimmick which renders it nonfunctional for anything but that.

So ILM gave us a burnished-steel Megatron with a refinement/improvement of the movie Megatron head/face, a more classic tank alt mode that can also fly through space, returned to a giant gun as the central design feature, added a snap-out sword, gave him powerful-looking legs with treads and two same-sized arms. And HasTak gave us an acceptable Voyager in a totally wrong color and then a ghastly Leader who offends the Lord. He doesn't have an elbow people!