Ok...this kinda sucks (Classics related)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Kranix2k, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

I go to a local Target to see if I can find some additions to mine and my wife's collections. Using the DCPI numbers so graciously provided on the Pony boards, I find that her ponies are not on the shelf but are in the stock room. One of the floor clerks is cool enough to go get them and I happily load them into my cart. After a swing around the store to call her on my cell to let her the good news, she gives me the DCPI for TF Classics....awesome they're in the back too! I got to ask the same guy, he starts to go back but the Dept. Manager stops him and asks me "Is this the collectors stuff?" I'm like "Well.....sorta...I guess you could call them that but they're not really classified that way". He then asks "They're the Target exclusive stuff, right?" again I say "Well, not that I know of". Ok, he finally punches in the DCPI and tells me I cant get them cause of the "release date". I understand where he's coming from but it still doesnt make a whole lotta sense to me why Store A in Jersey gets a release date of X and why we get one of X+3 weeks. Not only that, those MLP's I bought were, AFAIK, the same way i.e. released in my area already but has "release dates" in others. WTF is up with that? I dunno if its Hasbro doing that or Target but either way it sounds like an awfully effed up distribution method to me.

2. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Target has got an endcap date, and therefore many of the associates think that means it's a hold date.

Sucks ass, but just wait the 5 days and you can get them off the shelf.

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I just had the same thing happen to me today. I kinda had the same song-and-dance with the Reston Target employees, except their version consisted of "We don't pull anything from the back for customers, etc."

...sure. Whatever lets you sleep at night.

4. brittap

brittap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    About the same thing happened to me. One would think a sell is a sell and they would want my money before I gave it to Wal-Mart or TRU. Well gusse what Target, Wal-Mart got my first $40 for the deluxes sorry I didn't wait for you to pull your head out of your ass.

5. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

That sounds more like our local Walmarts...

Me: Do you have any of these new toys in your stock room? They should be out by now (i.e. its been 6 weeks since their release date so why the hell dont you have them yet?)

Them: Whatever we have on the shelves is our stock sir.

SOS everytime I go there.

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I went to my Target and I was all, "Bitch, get me those classics out the back! I know you got 'em!", and they were all, "Yes sir!" and went and did what I said, and then they gave them to me for free because they were scared of getting hit.

That, or I asked nicely and they did it. Either way, it worked for me!

7. DDM

DDM Super Steve

Theres one guy who works at the local TRU I always ask about stuff if he's working when im in there picking stuff up.

When I was looking for my 6" tit optimus, I asked him if there might be any in the back and he literally RAN to the back and checked. Sadly there weren't any but it was awesome that he'd go and check for me. Apparently he was a transformers fan too and we chatted for a bit about how cool the 20th anny OP is going to be, but then I bought some minicons I didn't have yet and left.

8. shade 0066

shade 0066 Live Fast, Drive Faster!

I was talking to a friend who works at Target, he said that if they try and ring up somthing before its release date it comes up as a "recall" and can't be sold.

9. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    In Walmart's case, what is out on the floor IS what is available. How do I know? I WORK at the evil empire! There is no "Stockroom", just a holding area for the pallets that are taken out in the evening.

There is NO space in the back, and all of it gets pulled to floor at night to make room for the next several truckloads we get.

Keep in mind restocking is a balance between what the toy manager orders and sales. If you still have a LOT of certain toys, or toys that haven't sold (like the 6 mudflaps warming our Voyager space), then you'll have a longer wait.

But also remember, toys aren't the only thing a given Walmart gets, there are also things for housewares, groccery (lots and LOTS of groccery), automotive, stationary, cosmetics, electronics (especially on Sunday and Monday before the Tuesday new releases). Even in toys, you have MANY other lines, notably a vastly larger girls section which requires ITS restocks.

It's Christmas, so stores WILL be getting restocks, but in most cases, toys are subservant to other departments and you will just have to remain dilligent, or go to Target

10. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love my TRU; they are always really helpful there. I even came in once and a lady with a Hasbro badge and name tag was doing the stocking of the Star Wars figures. I asked her if she had any Blurr figures (this was back during Armada), and she went into the back for about 15 minutes, and damned if she didn't come out with Blurr. I didn't know Hasbro ever had their own reps stock the shelves.

11. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's if there is an actual release date.. like the Star Wars EP3 figures when they first came out. Those that found them on the pegs before the official date found they wouldn't ring up.

Target's date is simply self imposed. Employees around here use it as an excuse not to get stuff out of the back or stock. It's amazing they sell any toys the month or two before a reset.

12. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

YES!!!

That's what happened when I got Primus - TRU got my money first.

13. TSFC

TSFC Banned

It's all dependant on the stores really. I've used backdoor tactics before and they were hit or miss. Either got what I needed or was told to go pump sunshine up my ass.

Mouth 04 @ the ALLSpark has a method which seems to work for some of those who've used it, but his whole "Oh they'll sell it this way, I know." attitude sucks. Those of us who've been burned by Target employees know differently from his "I work there! It's right because I said so!" thinking.

NOTE: This isn't a dig at Mouth 04, he's been a terrific help to the fandom at large, I'm just saying that what he feels isn't always fact. We have indeed been turned away from a sale because the store chose to.

Sucks doesn't? :( 

14. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

I used to work at Hel-Mart long ago, and if it makes you feel any better, it's not that I was sure that there was nothing in the back, it's just that I didn't feel like going and looking. I was too busy having my soul crushed and calling for a cleanup in Sporting Goods because the guy in the WWJD T-shirt's son (named Solomon! Isn't that just darling!) just peed all over the bikes and he just walked away laughing and shaking his head. Evidently Jesus would leave it for the other Jesus who doesn't speak English to clean up.

It might help if you brought a hot girl who could smile and bat her eyes at the clerk while asking for the Classics. It was always a lot of trouble to locate anything useful in the backroom due to lack of labeling, and a bit of incentive couldn't hurt.

And no, I'm not bitter. Why do you ask? :) 

I love that turn of phrase.

15. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

1. Original poster's g/f collects My Little Frickin' Ponies. Mine too. It's awful, isn't it? Stupid little ponies with tattoos on their asses. "Oh look! This one has wings!" *twitch* "This one has sparkles!" *twitch* "This one is a fairy! It's so cute!" *twitch* She doesn't like it very much when she finds Unicron attacking them and eating them. Which reminds me that I really need to update my signature since the Care Bears fell into her disfavor....

2. To the Wal-Mart employees (past and present): I feel for you. My brother works there. He's treated like a manager and paid just like the rest of the wage slaves. And this new "salary cap" they have...oh, that's just absurd.

3. Y'know, I've never actually asked for help about TFs from anyone at a retail store. Maybe 'cause I'm shy, or I don't want to bother them. I dunno.

16. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bah in like 6 weeks we'll be swimming in Astrotrains and Screamers and Rodimusses and we'll laugh at how desperate we were!

17. brittap

brittap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's how it is for about every wave. We drive countless miles, go to stores at least once a day, and worry we'll never find something only to have it in bulk everywhere in a few weeks, but by that time we're looking for the next wave.

Which got me thinking Target is going to have an end cap for just 6 different figures? God my Target will never move that much. Well I'll just have to stick to Wal-Mart for Wave2. Unless they over order the first wave like they sometimes do.

18. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

LOL on this very subject as I went Classics hunting yesterday evening. BOTH Targets in Lexington were already sold out of Classics--before they even hit the shelves. Insane Galvy got 4 figures there and I got the last one (Hot Rod, refuse to call him "Rodimus") the other day. I went back to the first Target and punched in the DCPI for both Voyagers and Deluxes. "In stockroom? NO" for both on the computer. Same at the other Target.

I know how you feel, though, the first Target I went to when I got Hot Rod gave me this spiel about how they're not supposed to go into the stock room and look for figures unless they're not on the shelf. I pointed out that there's not even a shelf space provided for this line yet and they're not on the shelf yet. He conceeded and went and looked. Came back with 1 figure and said it was the last one in an opened case that they had. (I verified later on the computer).

19. Knightshade

Knightshade Cybertronian Knight

That's the way it is at the Wal-Mart I work at too.:horse: 

20. butz

butz slippery when wet

Eh, just gonna have to wait till monday.