Ok, NOW I think bbts is scalping us.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MegaHavok, Mar 14, 2012.

1. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I have always been a supporter of bbts. I have explained away some of their pricing issues in the past by blaming case assortments, overseas shipping and so on. However, today I found a horrible example of scalping I just can't condone.

The preorders for wave 3 prime deluxes went up today.
    The case is being sold for $104.99
    The breakdown is as follows:
    2 knockouts, 2 hotshots, 1 vehicon, 1 arcee, 1 ratchet, 1 bb,
    Which is fine.

But if you try to but these figures seperatly you see the rip off

To get a vehicon you have to buy a 3 pack for $54.99 with knock out and hotshot. The other hs and ko in the case are $17.99

Despite getting more arcees and ratchets the are still charging $21.99 a pop

And poor over saturated bb is $6.99

So the total for all these figures??

$141.94

Total bullshit

Bbts has a $37 markup on themselves?

For doing nothing other then opening a box

You haven't lost a customer yet, and I still preorder a case but I will no longer waste my breath defending your actions

2. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

well...the prices and math are obvious, you don't have to buy if you don't want to. for some people the extra $5-10 premium now is worth 'guaranteed' availability and not having to drive around town later, and chances are if bb keep peg warming future waves will get canceled again.

3. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

That's business, I'm afraid, dude. They're not obliged to give us good prices, but you can always vote with your wallet.

4. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    It is to offset the piles of Bumblebees they've been accumulating since the line started.
    Eventually, they'll have to mark those non-selling toys down to clear them (I'm waiting for $1.99 myself).

This has been going on for YEARS: online venues sell newer and hotter figures at a premium to offset the stuff that will not sell, and unlike Walmart or Target, guys like BBTS don't have video games, clothes, and food to offset clearing out toys.

5. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

MHv:

You're not being scalped, it's the other end that's affected. :) 

I buy from BBTS sometimes, but paying lot$ for hard-to-find stuff isn't really my thing, so I don't.

6. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Knowing the case breakdown for months beforehand, everybody that can only get them online could just get the first wave [CJ, BB, WJ and SW], ignore wave 02 and not get scalped to death for Ratchet\Arcee and THEN get the entirety of wave 03, ending up with a few extras you can always sell\donate.

Need I remind you that deluxes cost close to 15 in the US at the moment, so getting the wave of 8 saves up around 12-15 USD total.

And since hasbro's stupid strategy to include at least one Bumblebee with everything, by ordering [say] 1200 cases of wave 1, they have 3600 Bumblebees. Put in wave 02 and wave 03, and I can sort of see their pricing strategy.

I've disliked BBTS mark ups in the past but this is the one case I can't really fault them.

7. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

"warehouse finds".

Oh shit, just found a bunch of in demand 3rd party toys lying around...

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't see the mystery. They are trying not to get stuck with the peg-warmer characters. They want to sell through on everything, not sell out of the in-demand figures but be stuck with a ton of the ones nobody wants, wasting space in their warehouse forever.

9. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You do realize they have over 1000 BBs. That's not going to all move, even at the slashed price of $6.99. So they took the 6 or 7 dollars that they had to take off and added to the higher demand figures like Ratchet, etc. Pretty soon, they will need to clearance the BBs even more. So all they trying to do is recoup the "lost" from BBs. Blame Hasbro for making them get so many BBs. When you buy cases that includes BBs, voila...no markup (comes to be around $13 a piece). So if your willing to take the hit on buying the BBs, then BBTS will sell you each figure at regular retail price. Simple as that. Otherwise, they are not going to want to get hit on the BBs while you get your other high demand figures at retail. The way BBTS sees it, that $37 "markup" is to make up for the loss on BBs.

10. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    They're not scalping - they have every right to set the price they want.

By your logic, I guess TRU is "scalping" because they have higher prices than Walmart.

11. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Take it from me, your wasting your breath. People here will defend them to death. If you don't like it, don't buy from them.

People like myself have been saying this forever and always get attacked for it and are labeled as complainers and troublemakers. People make whatever excuse they can think of why the price is high. So there is no changing minds on here. You can only do whats right for you.

The main thing that upsets me is that there is price fixing amongst the large toy stores. BBTS raises prices, then every one else follows suit. Never fails to happen. There are countless items like that that I and others have listed, but the fandom doesn't care.

12. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I thought the price was pretty good. Saves me time and gas driving all around. Got a case ordered.

13. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Vote with your wallet.

14. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ah, First World problems.

BBTS is sitting on a veritable unmoving mountain of RiD Bumblebees. What do you expect them to do? Eat the difference? It's just business, I'm afraid. They have to make a profit or else why continue selling toys at all if they're going to end up in the red on these whacked case assortments? Blame the retailers, blame Hasbro, if you must. But BBTS? If you're mad at them, simply don't do business with them.

Personally I preordered a case of 8 and it comes out to a little over $13 a figure. Not too shabby, and it saves me time, money, and gas hunting for these guys.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think the people who are wasting their breath are the ones who keep trying to patiently explain what online retailers have to go through in order not to operate at a loss and go out of business.

16. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    So according to you scalping does not exist because everyone can set prices to what they want.

Then you will say scalpers take all the product away from others at retail stores and mark it up. Well bbts puts up pre orders before stores get any stock so... Same difference.

Actually the only difference is that this is the most holy bbts we are talking about so they are exempt from all things negative.

I'm glad yet another has seen the light and how bbts thrives off scalping off us tf fans. But then again I've been singing this song for a long time, most people are content with ignorance.

17. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I'd rather pay more now than keep driving 10+ miles on hunting trips, which don't always pay off.

18. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You know what they say, sometimes ignorance is bliss. XD

Myself, I'm getting burned out and annoyed with the hunting game as of late. Gas, effort, money, and most importantly time that I can instead spend on other pursuits (like wining and dining the wife) is worth the extra mark up to me. Other folks' mileage may vary, of course.

19. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

I've never used them and don't plan too.I swore them off years ago.When classic Devy came out.It was a Walmart exclusive and what does it say on the BBTS order page for him? "We have people out looking for this item to bring it to those that doyn't have a walmart" and scapled the shit out of it.I've talked to people that live close to them around this time and Classic Devy was a myth around there.

They've done this for years.They call it helping the fanbase blah blah blah.Why is it i can order TFC madblender from Robotkingdom for 94 shipped and can't find it no cheaper than 100 before shipping here.So what import charges are they playing where its cheaper to buy single than wholesale?

You don't see Walmart/Target/TRU off setting prices.They clearance it or send it off if they can't sell it.Even thought my words means nothing,they will never get a cent from me.

20. Pale Horse

Pale Horse Well-Known Member

Just to add my own perspective...

I think both sides of this debate are right. Yes, BBTS has been doing the price gouging thing a lot higher for the last couple of years then they used to. During the RTS days, for instance, they jacked up the prices of Jazz and Tracks before anyone even had the chance to realize that neither figure was going to be shortpacked. But the issue of the giant markup is also due to the exponential proliferation of BBs in every assortment of every line anymore.

I realize that there are prolly many other factors involved in Hasbro's profits loss last year, but this thing they have going with Bumblebee HAD to at least play a part.