Ok, Just read Absolute Dark Knight/Dark Knight Strikes Again.....

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Predakwon, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WTF?! This blew! :yuck  I mean, I loved the original Dark Knight Returns, mainly because it seemed so earth-grounded. But all these characters all of a sudden, and I guess Miller just hates Superman.......

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I liked the story in DK2, just absolutely hated the artwork. It was like he got lazy and just made them all Sin City characters. I also think the story could have been longer, it does get a little rushed.

My favorite parts are when he busts out the Flash and Plasticman.

I always wanted more from the DK universe and apparently Miller wanted to do a DK series. DC never did that..... until Allstar Batman comes along.

Allstar Batman is Miller's DK universe to and extent. I read the first issue and didn't care for it much, haven't read the rest of it.

3. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I thought the first issue of Dark Knight Strikes Again was great and ends with one of my most favorite comic moments. But after that....he was just trying to do way too much in too little time/space. There was just so much crammed in there it was ridiculous.

4. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I love the Dark Knight Returns, but I tried to skim through the Dark Knight Strikes Again but never picked it up due to the artwork being everywhere and somewhat distracting. Kind of dissapointing after the first book being so amazing.

5. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Strikes Again is like drugs on a page... worth at least one read, though.

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah, you're missing out. All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder (yes, that is the full title) is one of the funniest damn comics I have ever read. Mind you, it's not meant to be funny, but that makes it all the more hilarious. :lol 

I've never red Dark Knight Strikes Again, but I do know that Frank Miller seriously overhauled the plot after 9/11. As I understand, that's part of what led to it being so dissatisfying to a lot of readers. As far as the art, if Miller's All-Star covers are anything to go by, he's completely forgotten how to draw (much like Chris Bachalo).

7. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

News Credits:
    Both are good stories on their own. I'd question why DK2 was called that, because Batman's role in it is diminished greatly from the first series (although he is essential, it reads more like a Justice League story than anything).

After reading that though, I came to the realization that All-Star Batman is definitely set before both stories and it's this version that becomes the Dark Knight.

Kinda makes those who were hating All-Star B&R (myself included) think twice about it, that's for sure.

8. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Yeah, Miller's been indicating the connection between ASB&RTBW and DKR/DK2 in some interviews, I think. Jim Lee might've been, too.

Spawn/Batman is part of this universe, too.

I imagine DK2 was called that to make an easy connection name-wise to DKR. All the big promoting was centered around "Frank Miller's going to work on Batman again!" Still, Batman's the one who brings back most of the heroes to fight, anyway, and the final battle is between Batman and his former ward.

9. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    DK2 blows chunks. miller is totally out of it.