ok I ve had it

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by omega knight, Aug 11, 2006.

1. omega knight

omega knight Chibi lancelot launch

News Credits:
    Im gonna blow.how much were g1 transformers back when they first came out.You know when you where my age cause I see you guys always saying I couldnt affored them,I mean I can affored mine I get at least 2 a weak.So how much were they back then an how come you couldnt get em?????

2. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Young ones did not get as much money back in those days.

It's all part of the downward spiral that western society is taking until we be a civilisation of stupid spoiled whores.

For a more direct answer, someone posted scans from a catalogue from '85 a while back, I'm sure that had prices in it. But you better remember our good friend, Mr. Inflation.

3. TreKain

TreKain All Will Be Well TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    heh...when i was your age i only got $5 a week allowance...and that was only if i did my chores...i didnt get my money alot of times...

4. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

well, i dont know how much G1 toys were, but i remember since BW, the prices haven't changed much. $7$10$15(Stopped after RID)$20$25$30$40$50

5. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You have enough money to buy two a week? How much is your allowance?

6. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

I remember getting an Optimus Prime at Otasco for $29.00 bucks. It took me a month of saving to get him too. I was very proud of him. I didn't even want him to get dirty. It prolly took me 2 days to put his stickers on cuz I didn't want to screw em up. Kids nowadays aren't like that. If they mess it up, no biggie mom or dad will buy me another one. If not, crying works.

7. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i remember them being maybe $12-15 cdn for the cars, $5 or so for the mini bots, $29 for prime and i think soundwave was about 25.

i remember only having prime, all the mini bots, soundwave and wheeljack, i never had any of the cars, or jets, or wave 2 bots either, only 2 dinobots. we couldn't afford the cars, and only recieved the higher priced bots as gifts. now that i've gotten them all. i'm happy, and ive stopped.

8. omega knight

News Credits:
    um no I dont cry to my mom an dad if I break a toy I find away to fix em my self just like my alt wheeljack lost his left hand so on the shelf I coverd up the left arm so it looks like hes 100% complete same with cyclonis from armada...

pimpusm prime:
    if I work with my dad for 2 days I would have enough money to et primeus and 5 dlx class tfs.All my dads workers get paid that much daily thats all Im gonna say figure it up an you will find out how much I get aday If I work.ITS VERY HARD WORK THAT WE DO ALL OF THE WORKERS GET PAID THAT MUCH.Its not that I dont have the money to get more in a week I just choose not to.

9. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

If one of my Tfs break, it's time to break out the super glue and Hot glue. i only get $10 a week. I use law-a-way quite frequently.

10. omega knight

News Credits:
    ya I fixd my cybertron primes chest plate(friend steped on em :'( I also get $1- dollars a week for allowence pluse my job pay

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

That's funny - I had G Megatron when I was a kid, that is until the fat kid that lived across the street from me stepped on him when he was over at my house one day :mad 

(it was all good though - the week after I trashed his Soundwave).

12. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i never got an allowence. when i turned 13, my mom started handing over government familly allowance checks (kinda like welfare assistance for single moms) so i then had $72 a month. but just around then, the rebelion genes kicked in and i started scaming my way into money. a pal an i would sell playboys and stuff at school for inflated prices. made about $200 a week. of course, i was into comics and magic then, so no toys for me.

now, i put all my cash down on photography gear, prints, and bills. once my GF is done school, we're off.

13. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Back in my day I had to make my own transformers out of onions, while walking up hill, both ways to school....In 3ft deep snow..

14. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    With inflation, an average Autobot car was around $20. Optimus and such were around $40ish. Transformers were very expensive toys.

15. Born 2B Alive!

Born 2B Alive! Director Of Entertainment

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Im' gonna sound old....

I remember in 1985 going into a store in Escondido,Ca. and seeing a Deluxe Insecticon for sale. I went home and got the lawnmower out and pushed it around the neiborhood asking people if I could cut their lawn for $3.00 bucks. Anyway I bought Ransack that day.

16. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

An $8 toy was like having a $20 toy. And when you are 10yrs old its hard enough just trying to get to a toy store let alone getting a $20 toy. Especially if you dont get an allowance.

17. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In my day. Transformers were free- but I had to wait until my birthday or Christmas. Otherwise, and I've to save up my allowance (8 bits and a ha-penny, good sirs!) for three or four weeks to get one. Of course, TFs were competing for the money with Atari 2600 games, and the local CVS (well, it was Revco back then) kept running 50 cent specials on the games.

-Tony!

18. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Well, inflation being what it is, even though the price point of your average (the cars, triple changers, insecticons) was the same price as today's basic price point (ie: $7-ish)... getting seven dollars back than was like getting fifteen to twenty today. Meaning, money wasn't as easy to come by for alot of us who grew up in the 80's and alot of times I had to save my allowance (I was better off than alot of my friends... I'd get $20 a week if I did my chores... but I pretty much was my mother's house maid... meaning, if it needed to be done in the house, no matter what it was, I did it or I didn't see my $20).

I do remember buying Prime for myself. And Grimlock also. My dad would occasionally buy me a minibot when we were out shopping since they were about $4 and my mom wouldn't complain too much. I also got all of the combiners and PM Prime for myself. Problem was, for me anyways, that there were alot of other cool toys that I wanted to get too and alot of them were cheaper and thus my hard earned $20 a week went farther. I could get four Ninja Turtles, a crapload of hot wheels (remember when those were cool?) or five super friends/secret wars for the price of two to three cheaper TFs or one expensive TF. So, alot of times I made my money go farther and would save the excess so I could get the TFs that I really wanted.

Now that my wife and I are really well off though... I just buy whatever the hell I want... so I guess I didn't learn much of a lesson from my youth...

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, during my time I had to skrimp and save on my allowances. Other than that, most of my TFs were gotten via birthdays and at Christmas. I really envy kids these days...especially the richer ones! LOL!

20. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

LOL....You mean their rich parents! I got a job at the legal age which was 15 and i could only work a few hour, but by that point transformers were over. When G1 was huge I was only 7 and by 87 i was only 11 so there was really no way of working for money. I mean i cut grass but that was about it, and where I lived I only had two neighbors. There wasn't as much money in circulation int he 80's as now. People were afraid to spend money with the cold war. People were saving.