OK, I don't Get This BBTS Pricing

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aey103, Feb 10, 2010.

1. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not another thread to bash BBTS for their price gouging, and please don't because I think it is their perogative to sell for whatever price they want because they are in the business to make money and the whole supply demand thing. I am just trying to wrap my head around this pricing because it make little business sense to me.

Animated Grimlock alone for $37.99...
    Transformers Animated Voyager Grimlock - Transformers Animated Voyager at BigBadToyStore

or Animated Grimlock along with Animated Lugnut for $23.40
    Transformers Animated Voyager Wave 03: Set of Grimlock & Lugnut - Transformers Animated Voyager at BigBadToyStore

I get that they are trying to get rid of their stock of Lugnut, but why sell one alone higher for more than that same one with one you are trying to rid of for less. Wouldn't it make more sense to take all of the Grimlock and sell them for $37.99 and cut your losses on Lugnut and say sell that one for like $10.00.

2. Zress Tayasu

Zress Tayasu Axiom

they did something like that with the rotf icecream twins; selling that one item for more than they were asking for the whole case. I think BBTS has a habit of going :scalper : with more popular characters lately. >.o

3. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:

You answered your own question. It's basic psychology. They don't REALLY want to sell Grimlock for $37.99, and I assume would find it fairly difficult to move them at that price. They want you to see the price difference and your mind goes "wait a minute, that's a better deal!", and thus take a shelfwarming Lugnut off their hands. I would be very surprised if they maintain separate inventory for the individual Grimlocks and the Lugnut bundled Grimlocks. And if someone IS dumb enough to pay almost twice as much and get one less figure, BBTS will be happy to sell it to them.

Remember, BBTS incurs a variety of costs associated with an item beyond the sticker price. They have to consider inventory costs (its fractional share of space in the warehouse, utilities, wages, etc) and opportunity costs (if an item isn't selling, it's taking up space for something that COULD be selling). So the reason they don't sell Grimlock for $38 and Lockdown for $10 is that they think people won't pay that much (at least not in the near future) for either, and they want to make space for things that people will buy.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  4. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    I've seen them do that before. I'm not sure if they do it on purpose, or if it is by accident. You just have to make sure you hunt for the best deal when shopping there and Grimlock + Lugnut for $23 is a great deal.

5. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok that make sense to me. Sort of a reverse psychology. Make it seem like a deal with Lugnut. Once all those Grimys sell with Lugnut clearance out the remaining stock.

6. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

I noticed this throughout the entire ROTF toyline. It's really aggravating.

7. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do hunt for the best deal at BBTS. I think I purchased pretty much all of my Animated Collection from them in Oct/Nov once I realized what a fool I was for not collecting Animated initially...Damn you Oil Slick and me not resisting the $1.98 price when my local Target clearanced out their Animated stock. I Scored practically all of Animated for 50% of MSRP from BBTS.

8. T-money

T-money Cake is good

News Credits:
    Makes perfect sense. They jack up Grimlock to get you to notice the deal on Grims+Lugnut and hopefully move more product.

9. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

LOL I've had a convoluted road with that BBTS deal.

Initially, I bought Grimlock at Toys R Us for $22. When I got home,I saw that deal on BBTS so I returned him and ordered Grimlock and Lugnut for very nearly the same price at BBTS (plus shipping). I put them in my Pile of Loot to save on shipping so they never shipped out.

Then I look at the site today and they're offering an additional 10% off so I cancel my original order and reorder it at the lower price :) 

Gotta love it. Now I'm seeing if I can get an even better deal on ebay :p 

10. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    :scalper