Ok folks, I'm in need of some advice.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spartan-117, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in another thread about my new job I'm a support worker for adults with learning disabilities. I currently work in a residential group home and I'm working nightshift which basically means cleaning and sitting around on my own all night.
    On Tuesday night a male resident made sexual advances towards me, I sent him packing and reported it the next moring. I was told that the acting manager would be contacted and instructions left for me when I came back from my days off.
    All things considered it was pretty funny, now it's stopped being funny because management have basically brushed me off.
    I returned tonight to find my instructions are utter crap. Literally my advice was:
    Tell him to make tea at 10.30 sharp.
    Have him go to bed at 12.00 sharp.
    If he makes further advances I'm to tell him in a firm voice that it isn't acceptable.
    Whoever is on sleepover is to stay up until 12.00 instead of 11.00.
    The problem is telling him to go to bed goes against a direct instruction from my real manager, an instruction I signed my acknowledgement of. He's to be left alone because he can become aggresive and violent when told what to do. The other problem is that nothing stops him getting back out of bed.
    So he came down again tonight and started staring at me and I found it to be so uncomfortable that I had to go outside. Feeling pretty worried I contacted my senior to express my concerns and to ask for someone else to cover my shift.
    In a nutshell I was told:
    "He stares at everyone"
    "He won't get back up" despite the fact I've heard otherwise from other people.
    "Who else will do nightshift if you don't?"
    I was given permission to drop the shift but told to do an early tomorrow.
    I got a friend to cover the shift for me but I ended up being sick outside and again when I get home because frankly I'm very very worried about my own safety.
    This guy has been known to tell outright lies about things to spite people if he doesn't get his way, if I'm alone at night with him he could say that I've done or said all sorts to him. Which will land me in some serious shit, even if I'm cleared it's the kind of thing that sticks and can ruin your life.
    So what the hell do I do? I probably wouldn't be having this problem if I was a woman. :( 

2. Lord Bacon

Lord Bacon BACON DUKE

file a complaint with the state labor board. and document everthing. keep records. CYA!

3. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Wait.. you are a guy and he made sexual advances toward you? WTF?

4. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I don't want to be a cokc here, but have you thought of finding another job? Or else getting someone else on shift with you? It seems ridicukous to leave you alone with that guy and others if they have a priblem with authority.

I wish you all the lukc in the world buddy. I couldn;t do your job...

5. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

No kidding, me either. I was offered the overnight shift in a troubled youth home, which paid really well, but I couldn't see myself realistically doing it for more than a few months - not to mention it was nights.

6. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Well, you could always kill him.....

What?!

7. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Too drastic, too many problems, and it would be one big mess to clean up and hide.

What?!?

I'm not familiar with the laws in Scotland, but in the States if you employer won't get it resolved just file a sexual harrasment complaint with your State (province, district, whatever). Here, in the States, if the employer made your work environment hostile after filing the complaint you could go after them too for doing so.

My Mom had a friend who worked in a similar place, and ended up leaving that facility due to management allowing behaviour like you're describing. Some of those places believe patients, before they believe an established employee. If you are in your legal rights to do so over there, I'd secretly setup a camera and sound to record the next infraction. Generally, those places here must have cameras in "public" areas to record problems or incidents when they arrise.

8. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

As a new guy you may want to handle the matter carefully so as not to lose your job in the process of dealing. Rule of thumb is to cover your ass.

1) Write letters to your employers. Make copies. Documents are your friends.

2) Record the SOB. Get him on tape.

3) If there's a state agency to handle this stuff, threaten to contact them if the matter isn't dealt with. Then follow through.

9. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Tell him you have AIDS. Or get a new job.

10. Spartan-117

I've got a new job which I don't have a starting date for, I'm currently working my 28 days notice period at my "old" job.
    I wish I could have someone on shift with me but they're far too cheap to pay two night staff, which leaves me out of luck. I'm gonna phone some manager woman about this and get some legal advice, I know what they're doing certainly isn't nice but I dunno if it's illegal.
    Anyway, thanks guys.
    Edit: I phoned the acting home manager and told him my concerns. In a nutshell he told me I shouldn't be worrying about what might happen, that he had done everything possible to minimise the risk, that because I'm a man I should be able to handle this (when I asked if he'd leave a girl my age, or any age to continue like they want me to) and his main concern was who would cover nightshift.
    He seemed to get pretty pissed when I told him I don't really care who takes care of the nightshit and that I was more concerned with protecting myself.

11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whoa, I didn't know labour laws in Scotland were as bad as my country's. In Singapore, employees have no rights whatsoever. By the way, you should warn your replacement of this incident. Anyway, congrats on finding a new job.

12. Spartan-117

Ok, things are looking up. I phoned a senior manager woman in England who was very helpful and seemed to take my problem a lot more seriously than everyone else has so far. She's contacted her couterpart here in Scotland, who I'm now waiting on phoning.