OK, Escalation is a team based game!

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Shizuka, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    If you don't want to play as a team then go create a game, go to invite only and play by yourself.

I'm tired of getting downed and not being helped until like a second left or not at all. I know sometimes your busy but today I died 3 times before wave 6.
    Rant over.

2. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know when things start going down its tough to keep track of who's where and all, but have you tried sticking close to at least one other person on your team? Don't take off on your own (not saying you do), follow someone on your team if they won't follow you.

I've played with folks who were great and others not so much--it really is hit or miss. If you can play with buddies, you're set for sure, but if not, try to find gamers with mics...it helps.

Good luck

3. Shizuka

News Credits:
    I know people are hit or miss. I remember in Broken Hope, the host was Air Raid and flew above to the train track to kill drones. Yeah, the drones spawn there (obvious by the purple door) and he got downed. Needless to say no-one could get to him, he died and the quit.

The only time I leave the core group is to get items. In these cases today it was to get an overshield.

4. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

I know you're mad, but you have to realize that your team might be dealing with other things at the time.

Like last night on a round of Remnant, I was on my last bar of health, swarmed by machine gunners, and a team mate was downed and surrounded by shot gunners.

Did I want to help him? Ofcourse. Could I at the moment? Unfortunately, I could not. All that would do would wind up with both of us dead and leaving our other teammates to deal with all the enemy Autobots.

Thankfully, my teammates got to him before I did and started to revive him, I eventually showed up and helped hold off the enemies so he could get to the health machine.

5. rasky

rasky Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    On top of that, I think it's important that people share the cash! I try to help my teammates buy over shields and weapons, but there's always some guy who hordes the money. Ideally, there should be two healers on every team, but I always end up as the only healer... We'd all last a lot longer if the guy hording the cash bought a healing ray too!

6. AutobotSkids

I enjoy serving as a medic, but I see why he might not bother. Medics are usually only good for patching up minor wounds, I can heal a teammate if he's missing a bar or two, but if someone is downed and I revive him, he doesn't stop and let me heal him, he heads straight back to base and buys health/overshield instead of letting me repair him. :banghead:  So he blows money over something I could do, and I payed good money for.

See what mean? Chances are if he's very conservative with his points, he probably won't see the logic in dropping 1200 points when his teammates could just look after themselves better, or buy their own E-cubes. It's expensive being a medic.

7. Shizuka

News Credits:
    I enjoy helping out. I'm just saying I turn to see people when downed and the can be just a few metres off and don't bother to help - they go after more people. I know so people try to help.

I once tried to pay for an EMP shotgun and a jerk went and took it. This was during wave 2 so I couldn't get another one.

8. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's just courteous and strategic when a member joins a game and you've above lv10 with spare cash to buy them an overshield - chances are you need that extra firepower so why not give them a boost? I often buy a few overshields if I have a decent amount of cash.

Yesterday playing Pulse I was buying my first overshield when some twat just went and grabbed it as it appeared and flew off. I didn't have enough money to buy a second one either and I thought that was just really rude, naturally I stuck to assisting my other teammates and never bothered to help him out.

9. Shizuka

News Credits:
    I do that too to mean players. It's not just polite to help new member in higher waves but it just makes sense unless people want to battle with one less person. Sometimes people are just selfish I guess.

10. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Must be some trend with bad hosts and Air Raid.

Was in a game with some randoms on Broken Hope the other day, mainly going for the Heavy Metal War achievement. We had a full team and got to wave 14 without much hassle, a few deaths every now and then. We were holed up in the overshield room, probably about halfway thru the wave. I was using Scattorshot, and the other 2 were using Arcee and Zeta Prime.

Me and the Arcee user were busy dealing with one of those big turret carrying guys, and the Zeta user was figting stuff outside somewhere when the host, using Air Raid, suddenly goes down on the other side of the room from me. The Arcee user cloaked and went straight to revive him, but the guy self destructed(holding B) and then quit about 30 seconds later, ending the game for the rest of us.

We were that close to wave 15 and the guy does that. I gave the guy a neg feedback for quitting early, but I was real close to sending him a message too, thanking him for wasting everyone else's time.

I've been noticing greedy players as well. Had one instance where a guy had over 4,000 bucks, but didn't do anything to help out the rest of the team at all. Me and one of the other team members were doing just well enough to keep our ammo and overshields replenished, but the 4th guy who just had joined a wave earlier was struggling to get by. The big shot kept buying more ammo and overshields for himself, no assistance for anyone else.

These greedy players just don't get it. You have much better chance of succeeding if your team is well fortified. Being greedy like that and not helping out just winds up handicapping your team.

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    play with greedy players a lot in public games, they'll even wait for you to get rid of a shotgunner's shield, then come in and melee him every time you try to kill one, you're left without points, health, or ammo, then they don't even help to revive you, just quit a game like that a few mins ago, one good player, and two crap ones

12. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I've only just started playing Escalation recently (mostly when Conquest is being dominated by asshole Prime Mode-ers who just run around preventing everyone else from leveling up) and I don't wanna be "that guy" that you are all talking about. But so far I just barely wind up with enough points to heal myself and keep my ammo replenished. Most times I don't even find the overshields and even if I do, I can't usually afford them anyway and when I try staying with the group, they disband and even if I try to shadow one person as back up, I get surrounded and when I turn around, they're gone. Am I doing something wrong or do you guys have any tips?

13. Soundwave4win

Soundwave4win Escalation Connoisseur

When playing remnant as soundwave I tend to buy Healing grenades once my score hits the 1000+ range. especially in public matches where teammates make silly mistakes. "let's charge headfirst into a titan!! :drool:  "
    :banghead: 

You end up spending more points in the long run (1600 > 1200)
    but it makes your life easier as a medic. if you can't reach someone and revive them just drop a nade and take that 5 second grace period of high healing to shoot up all surrounding enemies (a good nade toss can revive a teammate and heal their health all the way if done correctly)

14. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it's not been so bad when using headsets on Xbox live, it helps strategise better. been past wave 15 many times without though and it came down to sticking close together but then splitting into teams of two in an area to divide the enemies, pooling points and making sure everyone gets through ok should go without saying.

I'll go on Saturday if anyone wants a game, Captain Modesty on xbl

15. AutobotSkids

There's a whole thread on Escalation Strategization, check it out if you want. It's long, but Soundwave4win and the others have some great strategies, tips, and ideas in here.

Here's a link

16. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I finally got into a decent game of Escalation the other night. I figured I would do well because I do well in MP. Nope. I was usually the first one to die. I used Zeta Prime. No one used a mic. Still, I opened a few doors and saved a few asses. We got to level 17, and I got the Heavy Metal War acheivment. OH, I'm pretty sure the host was someone from the boards, too.

17. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Thank you, that is quite useful. Having read through a few pages of it, I kinda do wish there were more strategies for public games, but maybe those are further along in the thread. Either way, the link is much appreciated.

18. Soundwave4win

Soundwave4win Escalation Connoisseur

360 or ps3? if the later can you remember the name of the host? ._.

19. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, sorry, it was 360. The host's Gamertag was the ling. something like that.

20. nehushtan

nehushtan Escalation Jedi

LOL

You can respond two ways. Either follow the one that's racking up the higher point total and stick close to him (as a shield) or clean up your performance and start 1 hit killing everyone with melee. Everything before wave 6 with the exception of shotgunners (2 hit kill, appear wave 4) are a 1 hit melee kill if your attack timing is precise. I almost never waste ammo unless I am shooting across the entire map to get a kill in another room for the first several waves..

I don't bother healing guys like that and just let them die. If we do get a guy who is kind enough to invest in a healing ray and is not a fool who always gets downed I will always keep 3 healing grenades to save him should he go down and usually stick close to him to support and defend him.

I disagree, I think new players at that stage of the waves should be smarter and try to stay alive. I'll buy you a weapon or something to get you going but you need to put in work and buy your own Overshield.

If they do well and aren't a burden to the team (i.e. downed almost immediately and keep going down) then I'll buy them an overshield or whatever. I've bought many newbies a scrapmaker only to watch them die immediately and then leave the match. I speak from experience and have learned my lesson and recommend that you should observe the new player before you invest any points in him. Don't get me wrong though because I am usually the first guy to offer someone a scrapmaker or whatever they work best with as long as they don't say something like buy me a null ray. LOLz Nobody stands around waiting to be shot at past the 10th wave. Buy a frag launcher and take out entire clusters of enemies with grenades.

I joined a match 2 weeks ago in wave 36 and picked up about 1500 points in one wave. We eventually all died from fatigue and boredom in wave 53.