Ok, can someone please explain Shattered Glass to me?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Torque, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I'm not quite sure how that whole thing works. I mean, I get that Autobots are bad guys, Decepticons are good. But how does the coloring work? Optimus Prime being purple instead of red I get, and I kinda sort of understand how Starscream is colored like Jetfire.

But What about some of the other guys, like Megatron? And how do the personalities go? Does Optimus believe Slavery is the Fate of all Weaker Beings? And how does Cyclonus make any sense? I never paid it much attention, though with Botcon being about SG again it got me curious.

Oh, and why is Galvatron purple again?

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    A glass object usually broken- lots of pieces, very sharp. If not carefull, can draw blood.

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    my reaction as told by smileys in multiple stages

:confused: :inquisiti :peoples: :banghead: :mad: :) ):rolleyes2 :lol :lolol :rock 

4. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    Well, you see, there's this toh look a kitten!

5. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Colors and personalities are a little... slapdash.

Personalities are sometimes complete opposite; Optimus is a power-hungry tyrant, Megatron a compassionate, peace loving freedom fighter, Starscream a loyal lieutenant, Ravage is an attention whore addicted to waving and micro-blogging.

Sometimes not, Rodimus is a blood-thirsty mercenary, Cyclonus is a crazy cultist of Alpha Trion's.

Colors are also done on a case-by-case basis. Optimus is a tonal shift from his traditional colors: Purple and black from red and blue, the Constructicons are done-up in typical emergency vehicle colors. Some characters homage their colors from other characters in the main universe, like Starscream, Cyclonus, Thundercracker and most of the cassettes. By and large, a lot of the cast is derived from "re-purposing" other toys; e-hobby repaints, movie repaints of Unicron Trilogy basics, etc. etc.

...as for why the heroic Galvatron still has the colors of his regular counterpart? Eh, that's just the way that toy was conceived.

There aren't any hard and fast rules to Shattered Glass. As the concept and the fiction goes on and on, they just toss in whatever they want and make it stick.

6. boxorak

boxorak Lovable Noob

..Except Decepticons and Autobots switch alignments. For the most part.

7. Huffer123

Huffer123 Banned

Ebay:
    there cool

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The whole concept is basically an homage to the "Mirror Mirror" universe from Star Trek. It makes a good excuse for all sorts of repaints and exclusives that have been common for years but had little or no explanation. From now on, whenever HasTak or their licensees want to release a toy in Diaclone colors, or make a black repaint of Hot Rod--BAM!--now it's the "shattered glass" version.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    One of the unique things about Shattered Glass...Sideswipe is actually a good guy. Yeah he's a Decepticon in Shattered Glass (mostly because they used the Armada Wheeljack/Cancelled Drench repaint). Sideswipe was once an Autobot but after Optimus had Sideswipe's friend and mentor Drench killed, he joined the Decepticons and took his deco scheme to gain revenge.

10. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    All you have to understand is that SG Ravage is a LOLcat.

11. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

I think the best way to take it is in the G2-jokey style of some of the fiction with it.

Take a TF, completely invert their character for lulz:
    Dirge's weapon immobilises opponents with fits of laughter, Hound hates earth, Grimlock is erudite, Soundwave is a loud proto-broseph, Ravage can't stop social media gossiping, etc.

If I had my way, Lugnut would always conspire against Megatron and Bulkhead would be a strengthless precision machine.

Regarding the colours: Take any image, put it into your favourite graphic manipulation software and invert the colours. Doesn't always turn out how you think it should.

I guess there are no rules to it other than to apply that colour scheme that best makes a statement about the inversion of the character (Grimlock is now Trypticon, Optimus is a straight faction-reversal, Starscream is now Jetfire, etc.).

12. Spalah

Spalah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that was little strange. This role would be appropriate for Mirage.

13. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Shattered Glass = Star Trek Mirror Universe pretty much.

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Not really, G1 Sideswipe's bio show's him to be a bit of a rebel and a rulebreaker, and someone who's only real ties to the autobots were through his brother and the people he cared about. It's not too much of a stretch for his mirror-opposite to be a more honorable character who switched sides out of revenge after the loss of those ties.

I am really not a fan of the Shattered Glass universe, and really don't like much how the fiction and toy design has been approached, but Sideswipe was one of the few iterations I thought showed some promise for the concept in terms of character. The name/mold connection didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sideswipe's character promise is in inverse proportion to the quality of his toy.

16. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Basically, SG is a "split off" universe from G1. They have similar backstories, but at some point in the chronology, one split off from the main universe, most likely at the time in Optimus Prime or Megatron's life where they chose their path in life.

As for the colorings, they usually homage some character or other from the past, or they are just a cool set of colors. SG Grimlock is G1 Trypticon. SG Starscream is G1 Jetfire. SG Cyclonus is G1 Hot Rod.

There are also many repurposings of certain toys as SG characters. RID Bludgeon's toy is also SG Bludgeon for example.

Also, whatever happened to that old SG personalities thread? I miss it.

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the key to understanding SG is that it's not quite a mirror universe.

It's a FUNHOUSE mirror universe.

Emphasis on the "fun."

18. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

I heard it was intended as parody/april fools joke but the concept was popular so they ran with it.

19. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    You're... a little mixed up. The intent was always for a mirror universe.

There was a mini-comic that went up in April called Shattered Expectations:
    Shattered Expectations - Transformers Wiki

It was done up in a G2 art style, full of homages and had an overall humorous tone.

Whereas the comic that was released alongside the toys during the convention:
    Shattered Glass - Transformers Wiki

Was a very self-serious, grim-dark alternate reality where Optimus was a cruel sadist that kept corpses strung up on display in a hallway and committed murder wholesale.

Shattered Expectations was better received and Shattered Glass as a whole has since taken on a lighter, more referential, internet-lulz tone.

20. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Shattered Glass... what a waste of a Botcon.