OK can somebody explain to me what Pyra Magna's deal is?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lothar Hex, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Decepticon

News Credits:
    So...Pyra Magna. The fuck is here deal?

I've been reading the comics for a while now and I honestly don't understand what her deal is. She's supportive of Prime one minute, going against him the next, but fighting alongside him three seconds later. I get that she feels that her/Victorion is the one destined to hold the Matrix, but beyond that I have no clue why she does half the shit she does.

Is it religious zealotry? Cunning schemer? General douchebaggery? Bad writing? WHAT!?

• Like Like x 2
  2. GoLion

GoLion Sé que me estás robando

News Credits:
    A little bit of all of this.

I thought Victorion had a lot of promise at first. It's all been squandered.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reask

Reask Predacon

I guess Prime secretly missed having someone like Prowl about to be a big prick who changes moods so often that he thought Magna would be the next best thing. It's the red horns that give away she's the new Prowl alongside everything else.

Recently she's been pissed off at Prime for not being a believer of her religion and yet he uses his status as a messiah to his advantage. In a way I can understand where she's coming from but we've known Prime for far longer than we've known Pyra so obviously most of us would be cautiously understanding about him instead of just punching and screaming at him like Pyra does. Prime's greatest mistake is he trusts people too much, and she's still around despite being an obvious potential danger to him. I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't so repetitive with Magna.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Basically, she wants there to be a good Prime.

She sees two ways of this: Either one, helped Optimus get better, or two, becoming Prime herself.

Like Reask said, she's grown more frustrated with him over time since, yea, he *is* basically using his Jesus statue while not believing he's Jesus.

Hopefully things'll shift into a new phase of her character soon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

That whole situation is a clusterfuck I can't quite untangle myself. Combo of bad writing and scheduling... the annual being printed WAY before the relevant Optimus issue was a crime.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    From what I've heard Magna's having a hard time getting behind Optimus since she and him have two very different outlooks on things that for her it's frustrating.

7. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

The thing is she's not too far off from people that act like there's only one valid religion going around and they're annoying to be around, especially if you're one of the people following an 'alternative' religion. Singling out Optimus for this in particular (especially since it's long been established that Cybertron's religious practices are not the same as Camian practices) is really annoying.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SteelWheels

SteelWheels Well-Known Member

Yes.
    Her religious zealotry has lead her to become a cunning scheming douchebag.
    But I guess I would be pissed off too if the messiah of my religion was an atheist.

9. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Decepticon

News Credits:
    Don't tell the Imperium of Man about the "God"-Emporer then.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Phadthiaprime

Phadthiaprime Noodle loving matrix bearing naysayer

IMO shes a terrible character resulting from a fixed ""choose the next combiner" contest as I believe these voting scenarios most certainly are fixed. Once again, just my opinion. Either way, I dislike her characterization, and her assumption that she can be a better matrix bearer than prime, who in complete contrast with past primes has gone 4 million some-odd years without becoming corrupt.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

I quite like it actually. I see as professional vs personal. When the action starts she's professional and gets the job done by fighting alongside Prime but personally? They're not friends, she doesn't like him and hey, you don't have to like your work colleagues you just have to work well with them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

The writers gave her the personality of a stereotypical "It's all about me" Mary Sue straight out of a fan fiction and plopped her into canon. It's pretty obvious that she's filling the same role as Starscream and is being built up as a future Big Bad. I can't wait for when Optimus finally kills her, and have it be presented in the most triumphant and heroic way possible, because the comic KNOWS that the fans actually hate her.

Pyra: Besides, who would you be without me, Prime?

Optimus: Time to find out.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Ugh, no, the voting scenarios are *not* fixed. The most obvious answers kept winning! To the point the limbs were overly redundant as a result, even.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    ...That's not very Optimus-like.

I fail to see how Pyra is a "Mary Sue." A Mary Sue is a character who bends the story and the world around themselves so as to always be successful. By her vary nature, she CAN'T be a Mary Sue.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

Aha, you misunderstand my friend. I said the personality of a Mary Sue. If Pyra truly WAS a Mary Sue, characters would be gushing about how great she is and everything would be going her way. But that's not this kind of comic. The writers are setting her up for a big fall.

And regarding Optimus, uh, do you remember how IDW Optimus Prime dealt with Nova Prime and Galvatron, or how he ruthlessly guns down a random c-list Decepticon every now and then, or how he almost killed Prowl? IDW Optimus may not be as violent as movie Optimus, but he is definitely one of the more dangerous versions. I could totally see him killing upstart newbie Pyra if she pulls some shit that can't be forgiven.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

Pyra doesn't condemn Optimus for his religion, or more so lack of religion, she's angry at him because he's an atheist manipulating the people through the use of her religion.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Yes. It's like the president of the local chapter of the Secular Humanists taking advantage of the fact that a bunch of people think he's the Pope to run charity operations. Even if they're legit using this position for good, it's kinda iffy.

And let's not forget, Optimus kinda deserves to be called out on several matters. Deciding to annex Earth. Blackmailing Soundwave. Frankly having someone pushing him and making him have to think of the moral component is a good thing.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    Pyra is the zealot... but not of an actual Prime but what she views a Prime should be. And what a Prime should be... is her. She believes that SHE should be the Prime, but rather than actually try and take the prize she instead takes her loathing and turns it into "You don't meet my standards so you are wrong!". Even though she herself, at times, does not even meet her own standards but that doesn't matter. Because what matters is that her believes make her right and all else are wrong.

In a word... Pyra is IDW Star Saber. A fanatic who believes they, and they alone, are rightous and holy and any that get in their way are blasphamers, any who do not live up to what they want deserve scorn and death, and when their opinions don't match their believes they switch their beliefs.

Pyra is no different than a preacher who says that all are sinners and evil and only they can lead everyone to the promise land... even as they are banging hookers. It doesn't matter what THEY do... because they are holy. Everyone else, even Prime, are wrong.

Want a good example? Peter Griffin's father from Family Guy. The man treats everyone like crap, shows no signs of common decency... and even tells the Pope he is a bad person because the Pope doesn't meet HIS standard... which he himself doesn't even live up to.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, I didn't get her till I read her bio in Revolution.

She's the Autobot Starscream.

• Like Like x 4
  20. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Eh, I don't view her as remotely near that level. I mean, her actual problems with Prime are fairly significant, but not does she view him as necessarily wrong about everything they've disagreed on or such, she's followed him on a fair amount.