Oh, Pricing Gods, I Beseech Thee: Price Check on a MISB G1 Apeface (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Triformis, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

So. it's that time again. I need money and it's time to sell some more neat stuff from my collection. I've been looking on the 'bay for a while and have yet to see a G1 Apeface MISB (well, sort of, more on that later) on there, so I've decided to ask the good fans here what they think might be fair. Ideally, like with all my past sales, I'd like to sell it here for a reasonable price to a fan "in need" and not on e-bay.

As you can see from the pics below, it's technically still sealed, but, over time, the tape has come up on one side, but, I assure you, it has never been opened. It's been imprisoned since 1987 (someone must free him! :)  ) and apart from some slight bends in the packaging here and there and some slight yellowing of the bubble, I think it's in pretty damn good shape.

Thanks in advance for the help, board!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hmm, he doesn't really show up that often in box... Uh, my guesses for Apeface values would be the following:

Loose, no headmaster = worthless
    Loose, headmaster = about $40
    Loose, complete = about $50
    MIB, complete = about $80 - $100
    MISB = Uhhh... $150? $200? Really not sure

Yeah. Not really sure. Looks damn nice though.

3. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    I think you can get at least $200 or more. Depends who's interested. Too bad that you didn't get it graded before the tape fell off.

4. Triformis

Hmmm....Input makes me happy. :)  Yeah, I was in that general ballpark myself based on some sales of stuff I had in a similar vein, but each item's different and I always value the input of my fellow collectors.

As for grading it, even if the tape were still on it, no thanks. I have no desire to support AFA and the silly prices they seem to assign things. I'm so tired of nutty e-bay sellers screaming "AFA", "AFA"! and then jacking up the price of their item, like, 8 times past what a non-graded one is going for. I recognize the value of such a system, but I reject it.

On a lighter note, how ya been doin', hotspot? It's been a while since I've actively been on, so I have no idea what's new with people. And, many thanks, llamatron!

5. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, the sticker says $16.99, so that should be the worth and you should sell it to me!

HA just kidding great fig., hope you get a ton for it!

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

^^ gah, beat me to it!

7. Triformis

Tell you what, guys, just throw in $233.01 for shipping and I'll ship it to you next day air and add a DC# on for "free". Sound like a deal? ;) 

8. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Do you accept payment in insects? :D 

That really is a nice piece, and I do love 'con Headmasters, even if the munkymode is a bit weak. How did you end up with such a piece anyway?

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Apeface is second only to Snapdragon as my favorite Headmaster. If I bought that, I'd for sure open it.

10. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Derek, I'm going to be honest with you.

It is worth $1.00 in our failing USD.

I'll give you a friendship bonus and give you $5.00 for it.

:D 

11. Triformis

All right, this is now turning into a reunion thread!

Will I accept insects? Well, maybe Insecticon Alts. (I'm still sad that I didn't win some of those on e-bay some time back) or some live mega-beetles (the kind from Thailand, Africa), which are technically illegal for private citizens to import. Other than that, no.

How'd I come by it? Honestly. :) 

As for a friendship bonus, whoever said we were friends, man? I just use you to get myself on the frontpage. Duh., ;) 

12. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Well, what I meant was whether it was a vintage piece or gift of some kind sitting in an attic forgotten (like some other guy around here) or just something you picked up yourself years ago.

You'd be surprised what I collect... ok, but maybe not mega-beetles. :lol  And I totally should have given you an Antlar as a freebie, instead of that guy who's banned now. Definitely up your alley.

13. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    You BASTARD! :lol 

14. Triformis

Heh, I know what you meant, man, I was just deliberately being cryptic and an ass. Let's just say that it's all about karma.

Dude! You gave out a free insect-themed toy (to be honest, though, his name sucks, he should have been called Beetlar) to a fan other than myself?!?! For shame!!! lol

15. Triformis

Yeah, so? Whatchugonnadoboutit?

16. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Mmm, karmamel...

I'll never quite know what I was thinking. :lol  So you know, eventually I'd end up getting a Satan Beetle, from the latest series... I'll keep an eye out if I can get an extra cheap, mister. ;) 

They were going with an antlion-theme for Antlar, except he'd use magnetism so he could have planes crash in his sand pit. Definitely one of the more interesting original Ultraman episodes I've seen thus far.

Uh... how about that Apeface!

17. Hotspot17

News Credits:
    Hey Triformis! Yeah, it's been a while. Busy with exams as always. I still got my undergrad insect collection. I'm telling you, it have some rare hard to find east coast specimens!!! I'll try you my whole bug collection for your MISB Apeface. It even has "star war" looking fungi beetles! The weirdest insect in my collection. :) 

18. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

pm me if you are selling any earlier g1's!

19. Triformis

Chosen, doh! I should have realized that its name and form was referring to an antlion. I have shamed myself as an entomologist....I did a quick google search for the character and its head suggested a beetle, but once you mentioned the antlion angle, I realized it's right on. Of course, if I had seen this sandpit of his, I think I would have realized it immediately.

hotspot, nice try! Were I desperate to acquire a collection for school/grade purposes, I'd say "sure", but, alas, I no longer have any such classes and I already have a very large collection from when I did have those classes (and from when I have the time to go out and hunt stuff for my own purposes).

Still, it's tempting since my collection definitely lacks east coast stuff. I think I actually have some of those beetles you speak of. Maybe. Why do you call them "Star Wars" beetles? My beetles are (well, were) small, fungus-dwelling ones that have really crazy and varied projections emerging from their pronotums and they're bumpy all over their dorsal side.

Golden Age, if I ever decide to part with my MIB Targetmaster Kup and MIB Punch/Counterpunch (the only other two nicer G1s I own that I'd consider selling), I'll let you know.

20. Hotspot17

News Credits:
    The beetles I'm talking about are these: Bolitotherus cornutus
    [​IMG]

I found years ago went I was a field biologist in the Adirondacks up in NY. You can image how I felt when I found these things on the conks of trees. Made my day! :)