Oh no! Airfis gone into administration!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tikgnat, Sep 1, 2006.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I dunno if Americans will get this but Airfix is a model company in the UK that a lot of UKers will have grown up with, and it looks like its on its way out...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5304780.stm

This is shitty. I used to love them, I remember having an old Red Arrow, then a Phantom F-4 (starting off my longtime fascination with that particular jet) and I still have a brand new F-117 unmade in a box.

I don't think I'll ever make it now. :( 

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    That's a real shame. I think I had a bunch of Airfix kits when I was big into the World War 2 model planes. They're completed and painted (albiet poorly) so they're probably worth dirt.

Still, it's a shame to see Airfix go. Sometimes their detail was sparing, sometimes it was fantastic, but they never ceased to put out a horde of nice kits per year.

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I wouldent get too worried about them disapearing, Hornby are apparently sniffing around them already and thier assets are worth more then enougth to attract intrest from elsewhere if they don't buy them.

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hornby eh? Hmm. I think my only Hornby products are the Batman Begins Tumber Scalextric (slot cars) which are very sweet..

Ones a big one, and the other was a smaller one on a micro track, I modded the big one to go onto the little track! Saved me forking out a fortune on a full size track, and because the parts are all interchangable its not like I've done any lasting changes.

If Hornby do buy it and keep it going I'll be a little happier.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Damn, this sucks. I have no idea how many Airfix kits I built over the years, but it was easily high double figures.

6. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

It's very sad but the world has changed and it seems there just isn't the market there was for models any more, I hope they get bought up by a half decent company and either diversify or some how make it more cost affective.