Oh look, another Iphone problem thread!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by bariprime, Jun 24, 2011.

1. bariprime

bariprime Elite Guard Commander

News Credits:
    My turn for this now. I can't seem to transfer data (video, photo etc.) form my Iphone 4 to PC (Vista). Google offered some programs but none of them saw the data. Any help?

2. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

Yeah, get rid of Vista!

Seriously though, I have the same problem at work. Our virus software prevents iTunes from syncing with my iPhone4. No 3rd party programs are going to work because they all use iTunes backend to sync.

Here are some suggestions from Apple:

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

3. bariprime

News Credits:
    I think I am missunderstood, or I couldn't explain the situation well :)  PC sees the Iphone very well and I can transfer data from PC to Iphone, but I can't transfer anything from Iphone to PC.

4. SlayerDarkCross

SlayerDarkCross -----------> ? TFW2005 Supporter

Huh thats odd. I am running Windows XP and things work fine. IPhone 4 here.

5. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    ^ Same.

ALTHOUGH - one time I tried to update it, and it needs X amount of room on the HD to do it, and I was almost out of room and it froze up - I moved some stuff around and then it worked.

Are you almost out of room on your HD? If so, try to free up some space maybe. Vista might be the issue in itself though - I dunno.

6. bariprime

News Credits:
    More than half of the device is empty, and like I said I can't transfer data from Iphone to PC.

7. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    What "data" are you trying to transfer, and how are you trying to transfer it? What service pack is installed on Vista, my version of iTunes, what iOS Software do you have and what security software is installed?

8. bariprime

News Credits:
    -Videos and photos
    -With the standart USB cable that comes with any Iphone/Ipod
    -Avast
    -Both Itunes and Iphone are not up to date (Maybe this is the problem?)

9. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Typically iTunes should be updated before you sync. To be clear, are these photos and videos you took with the camera on the phone? If they are, it doesn't use iTunes for that.

You have a few options, easiest is to open your camera and scanner wizard on the computer and choose to import all, which will pull all photos and videos taken with the phone off. Another somewhat easier way,the phone never actually mounts as a drive but Windows see it as a camera to open my computer and it should be listed there and you can open the sub folders until you get to the DCIM folder and take the photos and videos from there

It's not stuff you took with the device, such as photos and videos synced from the computer, well, they cant be synced over so you'd have to look into third party software options

10. bariprime

News Credits:
    -Yes, I took the photos and shot the videos.
    -I quite didn't understand the scanner part, but nothing other than Itunes pops up when I plug in. Is there a way to make it pop up like regular USBs?

11. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Open on up your "Computer" icon and you should see the iPhone listed there. You can take the photos off it there.

12. bariprime

News Credits:
    well it doesn't show up like regular USBs do.

13. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    It does when there's photos on it. It shows up as a camera in Computer.

14. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Back in my Windows day, I was using one of the Windows Software suit just before Vista came out. We thought it would've been a good idea to update to Vista and found out how much memory Vista eats up. That could be an issue. Vista's pretty, but it sucks.

15. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Vista and iTunes are notorious for being problematic with each other. No joke. Some support desks have even said "Get rid of Vista.", and I'm not kidding.

You might want to try a friend's computer with XP or 7. Authorize their computer (temporarily), and sync to that computer so you can update the phone and do a backup.

Then, go back to your computer and try to update iTunes before trying this again. Plus, if the computer needs reformatted (which is also a common problem in Vista), that would definitely be the reason why you're having so much trouble.

16. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    Listen to this guy. That's always how I've done it.

17. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    No no no no! Listen, iTunes has NOTHING to do with the device being recognized as a camera by Window as long as the Apple Mobile Device Service is installed. Depending on how old the iTunes he shouldn't even need to update since it's recognized in iTunes already.

As a former trainer for... a large computer company I can't really name but I hope it's obvious which one, no, there's no issues between Vista and iTunes. Your steps are completely useless here and there's no need for him to do anything, on any other computer

18. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    1.) Please don't talk to me like that. Don't tell me to "listen". You have no authority over me, nor do I recognize any authority you've given yourself. I wasn't rude and I'm not trying to be here, so please extend me the same courtesy and don't be rude.

2.) I never said iTunes had anything to do with recognizing the device. Did I? No. Did you even read my post?

3.) To be fair, I cannot say that there are existing issues with Vista now, but there were in the past and it was known. My uncle is a retired I.T. guy who had to deal with Vista constantly and iTunes was one of the biggest problems he bitched about. He's not the only tech guy who's had that complaint. I've also read it on Cnet blogs and the like. So, at one point, at least, they did have a problem.

4.) My steps aren't useless, they would actually work. I should know, I've done this exact thing with my aunt's iPhone and iPad and it worked.

5.) Being a person who's worked in the industry, you can't deny that if Windows needs reinstalled, operating problems do arise, including USB issues. I didn't say he absolutely needed it, I said it might be a reason. A possibility.

19. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Right. You gave completely superfluous steps to topic starter. Jump right to re-installing Windows when he's trying to import photos? I don't care to break down your post and reply to it any longer but I will reiterate that there is no compatibility issues with Vista and iTunes, nor were there when it launched. Although, there with Windows 7 and Windows XP Media Center Edition ironically enough.

20. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    ...wow.

There really is no talking to you, is there?

And no worries about breaking down my post. I showed you facts of where you went wrong with my post and got pissed. I refuse to deal with people acting like that. I'm done with this thread.

OP, good luck. I hope you find a viable solution to your problem.