Oh cool a new planet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ace Convoy, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

All hilarity aside, laser-info signals do not create themselves or occur in nature. This evidence unequivocally proves that there is a highly intelligent species on this planet. Real aliens, really sentient and scientifically proficient... This is very jarring news, but since not many others will take the time to read the rest of the interview and it might not get much publication, it will be ignored.

Unless this is a malfunction of our equipment or the guy is a lying crackpot, there is a species more advanced than us on that planet. Ya get me?

2. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Let's hope they're not sufficently advanced enough to come over here and kick our arses.

3. Dremare

Dremare It's pronounced "dreh-mare"

Cool to know. But we'd probably won't actually try to inhabit it until the Earth actually ends.

4. red4

red4 Banned

I wasn't aware of your your degree in astrophysics. May I please see it? You could post a crappy webcam photo of it if you'd like.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I don't need to be a dairy farmer to tell you that milk comes from tits.

6. red4

red4 Banned

All kinds of signals are naturally created in space. What makes you think a laser signal can't also occur?

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

High school science class. The idea of a laser signal being naturally produced by coincidences in space is far, far more ludicrous than the notion that it was created by intelligent beings. In short, a laser beam is a highly refined source of light that has to be created through the utilization of multiple identical frequency waves concentrated together. An information-bearing beam of laser light, like the scientist claims is being emitted, is unlikely beyond comprehension to be a coincidence.

The fact that he/we can't discern what the information is is completely beside the point - information is received and processed in potentially hundreds of thousands of different ways by an unimaginable plethora of life forms. Just think of what we have here on earth, ranging from animals whose sole source of information come from vibrations, to higher mammals who receive it in light, color, sound and feeling. But I can say by deduction that if a species can send information through an interplanetary laser beam, it is highly sophisticated.

8. red4

red4 Banned

Yeah, but you said this:
    So was television 80 years ago.

Moreover:
    That's a bit too zealous.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Not if the scientist is correct, it isn't...

And as for your first point, well, television didn't randomly create itself through a series of stellar coincidences, either. It was the work of a highly intelligent species determined to transmit a more sophisticated information signal. That's the difference I'm talking about. Do you see what I mean now?

10. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

Aah I love a good debate :D 

Leadfoot actually makes a pretty compelling argument here Red4. I know only so much about the topic at hand, but something like a laser beam is just a bit more "complex" than something that can naturally occur.

It could be a glitch. Maybe it is a natural phenomenon we just haven't discovered yet, or it may be an alien race. Either one is interesting to discover no doubt. The thought if it being an alien race is frightening. Maybe they're a peaceful race and no longer see the need for war, or maybe they are zealots hell bent on destroying all life they come across.

Man it's funny that the transition from science-fiction to fact is happening more rapidly as the years pass. Hell half the shit we have today was practically a crack dream sixty years ago.

11. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I don't normally trust people who can't tell me how they come to support something. Science most of the time is not fact... it's an observation of the best idea/understanding we have at the current point in time. Such, as gravity: it is a law that on Earth's surface (in a vacuum) an object will fall at 9.81m/s, but it is still a theory on how this works and how object attract each other.

12. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:

Personally I'll wait until he publishes his findings in a reputable journal. He seems to be a legit scientist, but "UFO-blogger.com" simply isn't going to be adequate for a discovery of that magnitude.

Though it would be incredibly exciting, if true. It would unequivocally answer the big question once and for all.

Of course the idea of travelling to such a planet is unlikely to escape the realm of fantasy any time soon. Even if we could travel at the speed of light, it would still mean 20 years cooped up in a space capsule.

However, if we could intercept laser signals from such a place, it raises all sorts of interesting possibilities. Even across such a vast distance of space, we could theoretically send them a signal which they could receive in a mere 20 years. And that would mean the possibility of getting an answer within our own lifetime. Wow. It'd be like connecting to the internet for the very first time. There'd be a 40 year lag, but it'd be a gigantic first step, and it would open the door to tremendous possibilities for advancing technology.

13. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

But everything follows the scientific method, it's not making up a conclusion and making up assumptions to back up said conclusion. Everything starts out as a hypothesis. That hypothesis is tested over and over again to see if it is feasible, in other words it is basically trying to be proven wrong until there are no other ways of testing it left. When it passes this phase it becomes a theory. Alot of people have this misconception that a theory is just an assumption.

Well, that is complete bullshit obviously and anyone who has taken a science class in 6th grade can realize that.

A theory, by definition, is a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena. For example, the theory of evolution which explains how a population of organisms thrives by adapting to it's environment which is done by a change in inherited traits within their genetic makeup, and this happens over the course of hundreds of generations. Evolution is both a fact and a theory, much like gravity. It is observable but certain concepts are still being researched and experimented with.

I could go on and on about it, but it's getting late for me :lol  my point is that the ones who made this claim that this planet is earth-like are not lying. First, who would come so far, spend so much money on education and studying in college, and ruin their reputation by lying like that? Their entire career and everything they've worked for would be at stake.

If a scientist is wrong, it's because they proved themselves wrong. Success rises out of the ashes of failure.

14. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

i propose we rename it 'lockdown'. well?

dont hit me.

15. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

Ever seen Pitch Black? Stay off the backside of the planet!

16. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Sounds like Twilight Town in Kingdom Hearts II - permanently frozen in a state of sunset.

17. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

There... is no "dark side" of the Moon, technically. Just one side that we see, and one side that we never see. The other side still gets sunlight.
    Spectrum analysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Technically, it does. But it spins in a manner that one side is always facing their Sun, the same way our Moon always has one side facing the Earth.

I would imagine all they would have to do to figure that out is to get a read on the planet's magnetic field. I think that was how we figured out Neptune spun in retrograde, or that Uranus is actually laying sideways.

18. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really? Then what the hell was Pink Floyd singing about? :mad 

19. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Drugs.

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

That post made by "Strakus" in the comments section from the OP's article kind of rains on everyone's parade.