Officially TFTM 20th Anniversary Today!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Primeconvoy1, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Primeconvoy1

Primeconvoy1 Cybertronian Broker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Twenty years ago on August 8th, 1986, Transformers:The Movie debuted in movie theaters.
    I remember going with a buddy of mine, and sitting through the movie three times that day. We couldn't get over what happened to some of our beloved charcters that day! The crowd cheered and laughed at the many memorable scenes, awed by the better animation of the movie, saddened by the death of Optimus Prime, and rocked with the musical score.
    What are your fondest memories of the movie, and what will you do to celebrate its 20th anniversary?
    Can't believe this film is 20 years old! I must be getting old(er)! :wink: 

2. omega knight

omega knight Chibi lancelot launch

News Credits:
    Here's a random thought - if you can't add something worthwhile to the conversation, DON'T ADD SOMETHING. - 2005 Staff

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I remember my mom taking me to it, being freaked out while watching the Decepticons blow away Prowl and the others and REALLY being dstressed seeing Megatron finish off Ironhide. I know I was sad seeing Optimus Die, and the only other thing I remember is wondering where Snarl was and the song Dare to be Stupid. To celebrate I just might have to watch it tomorrow;) 

4. omega knight

omega knight Chibi lancelot launch

News Credits:
    ya me too *gets dvd player ready*I searched all over the dallas/fortworth for the tf movie and they come out with a 20th verison s well isnt that just prime..

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I went to see the film with my school friend. We both had a mutual "WTF" moment during the junk planet scene, when Weird Al's "Dare to be Stupid" popped on the soundtrack (We both knew the song, and had our doubts about its worth to a TF movie, even as kids.)

It was a bit like something out of a cartoon or sitcom. The music started up, we both in unison opened our eyes wide, looked at each other, then back to the screen.

6. Angelus Prime

Angelus Prime Active Member

I remember watching the trailer on tv for some USA Network contest promotional for the movie and realizing, "they're doing a movie, WTF?! How did I miss that?!"

I didn't watch the movie until my b-day, on 1 Sept.

7. New Brandon

New Brandon Fan Dub Guy

Hmm... It'd be an occassion to watch the movie, but I am saving it for the DVD release. I want it to be a little fresh in my memory banks.

'Til All Are One!

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I was halfway into season 3 before I got to watch it. My local theater didn't get it, so when it came out on video, I rented it as soon as I saw it in. I had learned of course of Optimus Prime's death, but I was still devestated about it. Still to this day, it's hard to listen to the song that accompanies Prime's death.

On a more positive note, I remember just being blown away by the animation and the wonderful panning in the animation as well has the metal soundtrack and Vince DiCola score. I just loved it (and still do!)

9. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

10. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

I remember my mom taking me and my sister to see it. My mom fell asleep. I loved it, and my sister still likes to tell TransFans that didn't see it in the theatre that she did.

11. RHansen

RHansen Veteran

News Credits:
    other reasons that day ruled: I was unleashed apon the world :) 

12. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

I remember watching it on video (it was a rental) back in late '87.

And to celebrate the 20th anniversary of TF:TM, I'm gonna get it as a Xmas present.

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Well, I remember going to see it in theatres. The most memorable part, and mind you this isn't neccessarily a good thing, is that my very Christian mother got offended that Ultra Magnus swore (glade Spike didn't swear in the version I saw in theatres... might not have been allowed to vinish watching it) and complained to the poor kid that was managing the place until he gave us free tickets which we later used to go see some Disney garbage. She somehow thought that Disney was cool and TFs were of the devil. Hmm... she still thinks my collecting is "wrong"... must have scarred her instead of me. Go figure. Thankfully, my father was sain...

Other things:

1. I was both awe struck and saddened by the deaths of Prowl, Ironhide and company in the opening. I was sad, because I realized that I'd probably never see these characters again, but I was in awe that they finally made the characters suffer real consequences in combat in the show. I was like: "That's just what I've done a couple of times when playing with my cousins... somebody dies... cool."

2. I loved the battle between Prime and Megatron. I actually cried when Prime died because he had always been my favorite. I remember being picked on by my two younger cousins (whom I also saw the movie with) for almost a year after the movie aired. But to make up for it all... they're the ones who introduced me to Powermaster Prime when he was released (they bought him for my B-day for me) and they showed me the Marvel comics that he had been brought back like that with.

3. The introduction of Galvatron and his meeting with Unicron are some of the best dialogue between a master and servant I've seen in some places. A little cheesy by today's standards to be sure (especially compared to LotR and other such fantasy, but certainly better than alot of the sci-fi/fantasy that we get today).

4. Starscream's death. Pure awesome... I was very excited by his demise and kept thinking that it was about time... I swore Megatron should have done that in MTMTE finaly.

5. I was in awe of the awesomness of Unicron until the advent of Armada & Energon... if anything, Hasbro & Bay aren't raping my childhood with the new movie... Anime has raped my childhood by overuse (and poorly to boot) of a concept and character that were really freakin' awesome to begin with. BTW... that was just a little touch of sarcasm. :lolol 

6. And the last thing that sticks in my mind the most... Rodimus getting the freakin' Matrix. I kept thinking that the Matrix would somehow bring Prime back... nah, we get the Prime killer... seriously, I loved the character of Hot Rod, but I've never really liked Rodimus Prime. Watching the TV series later (I was about 7 to 8) I remember getting in trouble for calling him a whiny bitch while watching him on TV.

14. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My fondest memory is actually buying the fhe vhs a couple of years after the theatrical release, or my parents buying it for me rather. I still remember that somehow. When the film came out I was only like 11 months old so I didn't get to go. My dad took my cousins who were 10-11 at the time instead. Lucky bastiches.

Also, one time I was like 3-4 and puking everywhere, being a whiny bitch and crying about it etc and to calm me down my dad threw said VHS in the player and pointed saying "LOOK! LOOK WHAT IT IS!" and I immediately shut up :D 

15. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Happy 20th Anniversary Transformers: The Movie.

Ah. I remember like it was yesterday, being dropped off at the movie theater with my brother. What a rollercoaster ride of emotions.......sigh.

16. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I never got to see it in theaters because I couldn't find a theater that was playing it. :(  Then, when it came out on VHS, my mom and dad rented it for me at the local video store and when I put it in the VCR it was all messed up and wouldn't play. We took it back to exchange it for another copy, but it was the only one they had. Didn't get to see it until it was shown in 5 parts during season 3. Didn't see it as a whole until my best friend got it on VHS about a year after that.

17. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i watched it like 60 times on VHS when it came out and memorized the whole frickin movie. nuff said.

18. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Never gargle the rum. TFW2005 Supporter

Never saw it in a theatre (was only 2 at the time)
    But i remember watching it with my brother when the VHS was out, being scared by unicron, crying at prime dying, usualy stuff :) 

19. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I remember opening day well. It was a warm bright August day in Brooklyn New York where I grew up. I remember waiting in line with children and their parents. (I was in my twenties). I had seen the commericals, and the announcer's voice played over in my mind. "Does Optimus Prime Die?"

"No Way!" I thought to myself. "How could they kill Optimus?"

Finally the doors opened for the first showing. In line I still remember the movie stills and the poster of Ultra Mangnus and the others. I remeber even then wishing I could add those stills to my collection. They would be worth some good money today, but I'd never sell them.

I was prepared for the chatter of the kids, and they did. Things started to get quiet with the shuttle scene. There was a cheer when Kup, pulled up on Blitzwing's cannon that then hit Kickback, you know the rest.

When Optimus Prime died, you could have heard a pin drop. No one was munching candy or popcorn. Silence. I was amazed by it and amazed at myself at how sad I felt and the depth of my disbelief. Most of the whole crew I had cheered for and got to know almost as well as real friends where dead. This wasn't a normal Transformers show.

Now everyone watched the screen closely.

Oh! So that's who Galvatron is! I had had Galvatron in my collection for the last few weeks. I had known Galvatron as a "City Commander" until that moment. Yep, it took me by surprise twenty years ago. Now I expect it every season.

The only other sound from the audience was a collective "Awww!" when Starsream got turned to dust. I guess I wasn't the only one that loved to hate Starscream. I was sad to see Screamer go too. He was as much a part of the show as almost any other character.

Prime died from a hole in his side and Perceptor didn't even TRY to save him?

I remember enjoying the music. "I hope they sell the soundtrack some day." ;-)

Finally, okay so Hot Rod is really Rodimus Prime. I thought those two looked a lot alike. Both of those two had been in my collection too opening day. Hasbro had been good at keepiing secrets. So, now this Rodimus guy was the Autobot leader. Even then I remember thinking, does any surviving Autobot wonder why the Transformer that GOT OPTIMUS PRIME KILLED is now the Autobot Commander?

I saw the movie at two other times when it was still playing. Yep, I hadn't imagined anything. A few months later Season 3 started on television, but that's another story.

I bought the Movie on VHS when it cam out, then on Laserdisk, now on multiple DVDs in different languages, formats and region codes. The Movie has gone world-wide.

How will I celebrate? I'll just spend some time with my collection today and think of how much fun this has all been. ;-)

20. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I was also there opening day(age 14)... first showing. It was great! the house was packed to the gills with 'hard core Transformer loving idiots'... just like me. I went by myself, I rode my bike.... and it was really the first time I ventured such a distance from home all alone. I arrived at the theature 1 hour and 30 min before show time. I was the first there... but only barely. Five minutes or so later a long line began to form. Kids in TF T-shirts... some even brought a toy (or two)... the energy level was very high. It was like people were apearing out of thin air.

We all got our tickets... bought popcorn, pop, snacks, and settled into the theature. 30 minutes before show time... and the place was nuts with antisipation. During this time I struck up a conversation with the guy sitting to my right... who was my age... who also came alone (many of the boys and girls that came seemed to have come alone, or were droped off). Any way this guy became an instant friend.

Before the show started, a manager (or staff member) came out and had a raffle... (using our ticket stubs)... for various prizes. I don't really remeber what they were though, except for one... the movie poster. The guy next to me won it. I was so happy for him... it was like I had won it myself.

Soon after the house lights came down... the curtains parted slightly.... and the magic began.

What really struck me and sticks in my memory... is what well little programed TF Zombies we were. We laughed at all the little jokes.... awwed at every point we were ment to be in aww.... amazed at every tiny thing... as if none of us had ever seen a film before. Every time a character made it's first apearence... we all said that characters name.... it was wierd.... and why I thought of us as 'programed zombies. It was instinctual, completely natural for all of us.

I mean the theatre nearly exploded when Blaster unleashed his tapes for the first time.... screams and cheers... and through out it all you could hear people riffling through their names.

Gasps of horror during the slaughter on the Autobot shuttle.... mixed in with the OMG's this is so cool!

It was deathly quiot when Prime died.

There was a strong reaction when Starscream died... but I was so taken back and suprised by it.... with the obscene power of the whole thing.... that I don't really recall what it was like. Here Galvatron did what Megatron never did... Killed his rivial.... first thing! "Here's a hint." BLAM!!! -it was happed so fast... and it was so awsome... and yet heartbreaking.

To be honest... the rest was a blurr to me. After that point I was deep into the movie I don't recall anything about the audiance.... or my thoughts.... I was just totally captivated by the film.

I do seem to recall cheers when Prime's voice broke in and said " Arise Rodimus Prime."

I sat through the credits... as did about half the audiance.

Post: The next day I went back to see it again.... and this time I won a TF Movie Poster. :D