Official Zelda Timeline

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Soundbytes, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Soundbytes

Soundbytes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

huh. at least its not confusing.

3. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

Link does not die in that timeline. When Young Link picks up the master sword, he leaves his past forever, meaning that the past he goes back to at the end is a different one. Because Link left his original time, there existed no Link to oppose Ganon and that's where it diverges from the other two timelines.

4. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I've always preferred to think of the games as a retelling of the same story much in the same way that "West Side Story" and "Gnomeo and Juliet" are just reinterpretations of Romeo and Juliet and Batman Begins and Tim Burton's Batman are different versions of the DC Comic story. It is called the Legend of Zelda after all and legends change as they're passed down. (Just look how the legend of Santa Claus has evolved through the centuries.)

5. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    It makes sense. I thought there was 2 but i was wrong. I was right until the link fails timeline.

6. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

There's only one thing about the timeline that bugs me. As I recall, A Link to the Past ends with a message that reads something like "And the Master Sword sleeps again...Forever!!"
    I know the statement was more for dramatic effect but, still, that's pretty definitive. And yet apparently the Oracle games follow A Link to the Past and...well...the Master Sword is obtainable in the Oracle games.

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

There are some mistakes to say the least. The chart clearly has the "child" and "adult" timelines mixed up for instance. Also, Nintendo in Japan has previously insisted that A Link to the Past took place after Adventure of Link. LttP as a prequel was always the stance of Nintendo of America. Something smells funny.

8. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

The Child and Adult lines aren't reversed. Wind Waker was confirmed part of the Adult line a long time ago and Twilight Princess was similarly confirmed part of the Child line.

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Eh, I figured it out. By "child era" they mean the timeline Link returned to as a child (in which his reincarnations have mostly been seen as adults) rather than the "adult era" averted future he vanished from as an adult (in which his reincarnations have been portrayed exclusively as children.) The inversion of link's age in the games vs what "age era" the timeline flows from is what threw me off.

It's still a weird and startling reversal of LttP's position relative to the originals from when Miyamoto was still primarily in charge of the series. I have to wonder why Aonuma would adopt NoA's position after all this time.

10. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty happy with this. I do wish that Minish was still first but I'm still working my way through Skyward Sword so my opinion may change.