Official Prehistoric Life Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Hopefully this won't end up like my other thread lol.

I want to discuss some ideas on Dinosaurs. Similar to the "Aliens built the Pyramids thread" I watched a special on Discovery channel called Dinosaurs return to life? And do not worry most of the information is fact.

Here's a short discription of the special (Main link: Sci-Fi Storm | Dinosaurs: Return to Life? on Discovery Channel February 17th 9 pm EST)

"Ever since Jurassic Park, we?ve dreamed of recreating dinosaurs. But the science behind this fantasy seemed impossible -- until now. Remarkable genetic advances are revealing that the DNA of dinosaurs and birds are extremely similar. And scientists are uncovering ancient dinosaur traits in birds? DNA like teeth and long dinosaur tails. Advances in genetic engineering are moving so fast that famed paleontologist Jack Horner believes within our lifetime it will be possible to retro-engineer a dinosaur-like creature from a bird. In Dinosaurs: Return to Life, learn why the dream of recreating the dinosaurs is coming closer to reality..."

Special on Youtube YouTube - Dinosaur to bird evolution 1of5

Not by cloning exactly but by Retro-Engineering. You see birds are the closest living relatives of dinosaurs today, you could even say they are living dinosaurs. For example

An Ostrich
    [​IMG]
    A Struthiomimus (Struthio meaning Ostrich in latin, Mimus meaning mimic)
    [​IMG]

I can't remember exactly how they did it but hat they did in the special was mutate the gene of an embryo chicken so it would grow teeth. Genes are like switches, when turned on they do whatevr that gene was. Birds have genes that enable them to grow tails, scales, increase size, etc. so if we activate these genes we could truley make a living dinosaur. They did it with two embryos, one for growing teeth (Which it did) the other for growing a tail.
    What is also interesting is when the embryo of a bird is forming into a fetus it has a tail, but over time the tail disappears. They modifyed the gene to keep that tail. I think we could be able to make our own Jurassic Park. Lets just hope Dr. Malcom doesn't get involved with his Chaos Theory crap LOL

Other topics I'd like to discuss:
    -Dinosaur Extinction
    -How Dinosaurs evolved over time and how there's quite a variety of species from small to large carnivores and herbivores.

2. ladywreck

ladywreck comic wrecking goodness

"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." - Dr. Ian Malcolm (Jurassic Park)

um... yeah. That's my only thought after reading this thread. It's all cool that they have the technology to do such a thing... but I really hope they are also thinking about the other question... should they? And why?

If any of you have actually read the book... nature does not react well to being controlled, a constant theme. It would be like making the movie happen but for reals.

I'd rather see scientists try and revive species on the brink of extinction rather than dinosaurs particularly. They died, a long stinking time ago, I get the whole, it would leave so much to rest on what kind of nature/living/instincts they had... but really just introducing them to the modern world. The possibilities astound me.

3. Tyrannosaur

We can clone them because we can. I don't think a dinosaur that acts and looks exactly like ostrich would be too much of a problem. Unless we create an unstoppable horde of these things and let them loose in a city or something. Imagine the views on youtube if something like that happened :D ?

God creates dinosaurs
    God destroys dinosaurs
    God creates man
    man destroys God
    man creates dinosaurs
    dinosaurs, eat man, women inherits the Earth.

Here's another favorite qoute of mine :D 
    John Hammond: All major theme parks have had delays. When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!
    Dr. Ian Malcolm: But, John. If the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.

I never thought why they died so suddenly. 65,000,000 years ago dinosaurs where in their prime. New species appeared left and right, they were populating the entire planet then suddenly MABABLAYBASPLOSIONS! and they all died out. Yet many other creatures survived. Crocodilians, lizards, turtles, various types of insects, fish etc. plus if all these fish survived in the ocean how come creatures like the Plesiosaurs or Mosasaurs didn't? Imagine today if a massive ocean predator larger than a blue whale lived in our oceans today? [​IMG] No, it's not a magical liopleurodon either lol.

4. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I can't wait till they bring dinosaurs back!

Though it would be pretty scary.I was watching this special on that prehistoric shark that was the size of an airliner and it actually scared me a little.

Which is weird cuz it's extinct and I'm at least 30 miles from the ocean.

5. on_a_warpath

on_a_warpath OAW 2010

Why would you want to bring back dinosaurs? There's not really any point. If anything, it could be potentially disastrous. Like fireants on a much larger scale. No natural predators means they would flourish, and divide like crazy. Next thing you know, we've got a 30 ft. pest problem on our hands. I don't think anyone wants that.

6. Tyrannosaur

If you're scared of sharks the size of planes then this video will make you shit your pants lol.
    YouTube - Epic Airplane Crash
    Well, I think we now know what happened to that airplane that crashed over the atlantic in May. Too Soon?

7. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Ya see!

I was right to be weary of giant sharks, your not even safe in the air.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Well, they were likely dead before that. the layer of the fossil record that has all the burnt dead stuff/carbon from the asteroid impact? no dinosaur bones have ever been found at that layer, or above it. they were already dead.

thank you, history channel.

9. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Well it would give people a good reason to carry giant swords Final Fantasy style.

Thats kinda cool.

10. Tyrannosaur

Simple enough, we clone dinosaurs to keep that population in check. Of course nothing would stand up to a Tyrannosaurus.

Better yet, if we do clone a few Rexes and the population begins to increase fast, lets just hire a bunch of rednecks to take care of it lol. Hunting a T.Rex is a redneck's dream.

Do the same thing when there's an overpopulation of deer. Deers overpopulate, eat all the food, other creatures die of starvation then the deer die. When the deer die the predators become hungry and they end up dying and so it's just an entire ecosystem collapse.

But who said we need to release them into the wild? Buy an island and isolate them from the mainland. Simple as that. Instead of a zoo make it like a national park. Thats my vision :) 

11. Tyrannosaur

Exactly what I said. no dinosaur fossils have been found above or at the KT boundary. Look lower than that and you find tons of fossils. Many think it was just the meteor impact, supervolcano eruption (To whipe out an entire species this must be like a mega volcano) etc.

The KT boundary is just this layer of chalk. In that layer too we find iridium, which is only found in meteorites and in magma. So it was either one or the other.

12. ladywreck

GOOD LORD MAN... did you not read the book? And did you not read what I said... nature can not be controlled as easily as you think.

:gen069: 

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    if the food chain collapsed because of the impact like the old theory suggests, insects wouldnt have survived, nothing in the sea would have survived (you take out the bottom layer of the food chain - algae, plants, and everything above it dies. everything. but so many species from then survived. even tree frogs. the impact could not have been as bad as they've said in the past. and we have birds. so dinosaurs werent just killed off. the theory breaks evolution.

scientists really just need to admit they dont have the slightest idea what the fuck happened.

14. Tyrannosaur

Well think about it. It worked in The Lost World. They left the island abandoned and the dinosaurs adapted to the enviroment. Remember what John Hammond said?

"These creatures require our abcsence not our help. So if we just step aside, and trust in nature, life will find a way"

Simply, don't bother them and they won't bother us.

15. ladywreck

Dude... are you quoting the movie or the book cause they were both different. John Hammond died in the first book. And things never got better in the books... they got worse. The movie verse is ALWAYS off.

And in the book they DID find a way off the island. They started showing up in Puerto Rico, so leaving them alone wasn't the answer.

=>

16. Tyrannosaur

The dinosaurs and other large animals at the time died because there wasn't enough food to support their species. Some of these dinosaurs weighed over 75 tons and required tons of food everyday. All they did basically was eat, shit and repeat the cycle with a little mating here and there. Now what needs more food? An animal the size of your foot, or an animal whose foot is the size of you? Now with all these dead animals lying around these carcasses could last for months. Bugs, rodents, lizards etc. all ate up these carcasses. After the meteor crashed it was basically nuclear winter. Only those who didn't require much food survived. The giant animals that died out became food for the small animals. Imagine how long an Argentinosaurus carcass would take to be stripped down to the bone? We're talking about animals over 100 feet in length and weighing in at over 100 tons aswell. Scale yourself down to the size of a rat that entire carcass would last you a year. And if the meat went rotten it wouldn't matter, animals are adapted to eat that, which is why the appendix in a human is useless. If our appendix actually worked we could pretty much eat any food, rotten, raw etc.

Just because the extinction didn't happen the way scientists said doesn't mean evolution never took place. Smaller dinosaurs survived and evolved into the birds of today.

17. Tyrannosaur

Yes but I'm refering to the movie continuity, sorry about the confusion lol. BTW I read both books twice. RIP Michael Crichton.

Dinosaurs aren't monsters, they're animals. Just like some said in my other thread "Just because those humans were primitive doesn't mean they're stupid" dinosaurs acted no different than animals today. But just because you can approach a deer (Actually deer kill over 100 people a year. Gotta watch out for those antlers) doesn't mean you should approach a Stegosaurus.

I doubt Velociraptors were that vicious in real life. They were quite small, no longer than 6 feet or so and about 2 feet at the hip. It's like a coyote. They're more afraid than you than you are of them. But if you come across three coyotes, you're pretty much screwed.

I'm convinced Tyrannosaurus was the ultimate killing machine. This thing had binocular vision, extremely good hearing, the highest sense of smell of any creature in the animal kingdom, it wouldn't even need to run to catch you. It's strides were over 12 feet in length. It's feet also had leathery pads at the bottom like a dog's. These pads were highly sensitive and could pick up even the slightest vibration. It could literally feel you coming a mile away and you wouldn't even know it. Plus Tyrannosaurus had the strongest jaws of any animal known (Except that new pliosaur that was found recently) it literally could bite a hummer in half.

18. on_a_warpath

on_a_warpath OAW 2010

How do we know about the senses of the T-rex or anything else about it besides the skeletal structure? All we have are bones, dude.

19. ladywreck

I think it's cool that they have the technology to bring back the dinosaurs, I'm just not on board with the idea. Sure they are animals and all that and will act like animals act. I just think its Pandora's Box. And there are other things that the technology can be used for.

I mean think about it... if they engineer dinosaurs, even if they grow them study then and then destroy them when they are done... animal rights activists would go crazy over that. Cruel and unusual punishment. Say they put them on an island like they did in the fictional book or movie... (yes, I know its all fiction, I'm saying in theory.) yeah we all know what happened in the story... who is to say the same thing would happen? I'm not going to pretend that I know what would happen.

My thing is who are he to go playing God. I happen to agree with the views Dr. Grant and his fellow scientist took in the book. Just because we can doesn't mean we should. That's all I'm saying. I would hope that the scientist of today will ask that question and give it an honest go first before they do it. And that they are careful. They do that... they try to make informed decisions. I will be okay with whatever they do. Obviously to take care of animals they should have professionals that know animals involved... I mean they may create animals but they don't know how to raise something that's been dead for thousands of years.

Pandora's Box I tell you...

20. Tyrannosaur

We study the brain cases in the skulls. T.Rex's brain case was extremely large, and all the grooves, notches etc. inside it tell us where nerves were once attached. That is how we determine the size of it's brain. T.Rexes brain was bigger in terms of length. Here's a picture [​IMG] Compared to it's head the brain is small, but that's as big as it needs to be to function. It was just about the same size as ours but longer, probably about 8-11 inches in length. It looks small in the picture because T.Rex's head was the size of a refrigerator.

We also look at grooves and notches in the bones to tell us where muscles were attached. This is how we know what a T.Rex looks like. The color of the skin is just pure speculation. T.Rex based on the area it lived in was probably a dark forest green, maybe a dark grey/black pattern on top in the form of stripes and it's belly region was probably a lighter color. Many lizards and birds have a similar skin pattern.
    -Skin Color
    -Coat
    -Underbelly