Official NHL Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Overlord II, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Overlord II

Overlord II Starscreamicon Leader TFW2005 Supporter

Could not find a thread so I should just start a new one.

I figure that I would start with my team the Islanders. I was really impessed with their preformance tonight against a tough team in the Stars....DiPi was fantastic in goal, the defense was impressive. A real organized game played by a team that at times has been totally disorganized..Very impressive.

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

My team hasn't had a stellar first month and a half. Lackluster Powerplay, lack of offense, and just a team that looks completely unmotivated.

Hopefully they can turn it around in a month or two like they did last year. It'll be a big boost once Matvachuk comes off the IR.

3. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

Well, Toronto has impressed so far this season. After a so-so start, they've won 4 straight, Raycroft is playing like a top level goaltender, and are young defence is really starting to gel. With Kubina coming back into the lineup tomorrow, and hopefully Sundin close behind, they should be able to maintain their winning ways. Until tonight they were the only team this year to hand Buffalo a regulation loss, in a 4-1 win that saw Toronto play far superior hockey against the best team in the league.

It's early yet, but Toronto may just have some legs this season.

4. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    the Canucks are sucking ass right now... but I have faith

5. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    For my team it's a rebulding year. Bobby Clarke finally resigned, I've been wanting this for a long time.

6. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

Can't complain much about the Habs' season so far, they are treating us fans right… Though I'm really disapointed about the other team I secretly root for, the Flyers.

7. Random Autobot

After several years of watching the Flyers kick Toronto's ass from one end of the ice to another, I can't help but take a little joy in their current state of affairs. But I agree, it was time for Clarke to go.

8. Overlord II

That's it for hockey fans?

It's funny that I follow baseball and football, have no interest in basketball but my all time favorite team and sport is the NY Islanders in hockey.....

well Bettman hasn't really done anything to make the sport more attractive and the lockout in '04 killed them que sera sera.

9. Random Autobot

Actually, last year saw attendance numbers shoot up, thanks mostly to the new NHL style of fast play, more goal scoring, and a renewed spotlight on skilled players. This year numbers are down again slightly (though still higher than prelockout figures) mainly due to the fact that Hockey's marketing wing is completely inefficient, hell it's practically non-existant. Teams, the league, and players really need to start doing more to sell the game in the American markets. its ludicrous that a team like Chicago is getting the crap numbers it's getting, it's a bloody original six team for christs sake.

10. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I'll be honest. Last season and this one, I just haven't been motivated to follow every move, and every game. Frankly, I loathe the "New NHL". The shootout is the one of the biggest slaps to the face. I hate that a tie game is decided by 1 player instead of a team effort.

The addition of the "trapezoid" to prevent goalies from handling the puck as much. Ugh.

I've also been annoyed by the removal of the red line, thus eliminating 2 line passes. Yes, I realize it was done to cater to the general public and the fans who enjoy blowout games. I'm in the other camp. Some of the best games I've ever experienced were 0-0 or 1-0 games. That's where I get my excitement of the sport from. Two great defensive teams playing a great defensive game, with goalie's playing spectacularly.

My other pet peeve is the ridiculous switch of jersey's. Making White the away jersey instead of the home jersey is just retarded. But I guess I'll eventually get used to the asinine changes to make the sport appeal to non-fans, like I did in the early 90's when they changed all the division names and changed the Conferences from the Whales and Campbell to East and West.

11. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Well, I will give it a go for the Flames.

It was a rough start for the team, but they look to have found their stride. 5 in a row. Detroit is next and that will be the test.

As always flames have success over the top teams, like Anaheim and Dallas, but struggle with the others...typical.

12. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I can't stand this either. I want white to be the home jersey.

But I do enjoy the removal of the 2 line pass. I hated that.

But my team is top of the league right now. I just wish my friggin jersey would get here.

13. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    The Refs need to ease up on the penalty calls. Seriously the refs are calling it like a Basketball game, a small slap and the Refs raise their hand for the penalty. Gimme a break these are the big boys they can handle a lil hook, hold, and other useless penalty calls.

14. Overlord II

Well tonight my Isles, will be playing Tampa Bay and hopefully they will put in a similar performance as the one is Dallas on Wednesday and opposite the one back on the Island when the Lightning pasted the Isles 5-1.

15. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Wow, I can't believe the Bruins just won 3 in a row...they're slowly working themselves back up to mediocrity. Perhaps by the end of the season they'll even be above average.

16. Overlord II

Edit: uncalled for

17. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    my canucks just won their game against the Blues, I cna't believ they scored more than 2 goals :thumb 

18. Overlord II

Well the Isles lost in a shootout....great game against a team that seriously shellacked them in their previous meeting.....After going down 2-0 quick they came back and at least salvaged a point out of the game....Let's go Islanders! :thumb 

19. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Calgary has definately stepped up... Kipper is solid! They beat the Nucks earlier this week, 3 unanswered goals man unbelievable.

Though that hit Cooke gave Iginla made up for the loss :lol 

20. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I don't follow NHL games but I do have a favorite team the Rangers. It was exciting when Messier helped Rangers won their first Cup in 80 something years but I just don't have the motivation to follow them, not to mention it's hard to see their games on the west coast. But I'll remain a Rangers fan forever no matter what.