Official HasTak versions anyone?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jokerjester, Oct 28, 2011.

1. jokerjester

jokerjester Active Member

I hate playing with my "naked" Magnus hahaha. Actually, I can't stand seeing my "city commander" without his imposing armor. As we all know Fansproject already created an armor for him (as well as for prime and nemesis prime). But these add-on kits had become too costly for the common collectors (like me) who didn't capitalize on getting these kits when their prices were still on the near leader class price ranges. These kits also come with their KO counterparts and their prices, although cheaper, still fetch high amounts in hobby shops. Being KOs they still have a lot of mold issues which still doesn't make them perfect.

Now here's my question... Is it already time for HasTak to release an official version of the armor?

And why not? Fans had already been clamoring for it since Hasbro released the UM-Skywarp 2pack set. Maybe they are already fed up (actually not that fed up...) with the constant white prime repaints. They do want a look to differentiate him from Prime (like in Animated ^^).

We need an official HasTak version right now. Something close in a voyager price range? Or better yet, a reissue of the Magnus figure with a trailer! How cool will that be! Sell it in a wave of reissues (Mirage, Sunstreaker, Smokescreen, etc.)!

Yeah, I know. Hasbro won't release this armor just because fans want it. Every release should have a reason! Below are the factors (I think) they need to consider before they release this add-on:

1. Character Familiarity - The main target consumers of toy companies are kids. Period. Will kids identify the Ultra Magnus armored form image and will they ask their parents to buy this figure for them? Maybe... if they are huge fans of G1 (that is why this series needs to be shown again hahaha) and if they are readers of the Transformers: Ongoing comic book (with designs based on their G1 look). Seeing the trend of Transformers in popular culture nowadays kids will rather ask their parent to buy another Bumblebee repaint. There is a bigger chance to sell the WFC version (if the kids played the game) or if they would be introducing a version of UM in Transformers: Prime with G1 based designs. We need to reintroduce this version (trailer becomes armor and attach to robot to make powered up form) to kids via different media but based on the current trends nowadays we might just get a somewhat movie sentinel prime design instead.

2. Price - The bigger the bot the more costly it gets. And in today's economy a high tag price is a no-no! Let's say Hasbro will be reissuing the UM figure (voyager price), the trailer could be priced the same due to the amount of plastic and design involved to create it. So, a reissued Magnus + armor might be around in the leader class toy price. Will parent easily shell out this kind of money?

3. Design complexity - Does HasTak have the creativity to create an armor in the 1st place? I do not want a cheap a$$ Fairy Prime armor design. But they did manage to pull off a great (but still needs improvement) Jetwing prime. How hard can this be with HasTak's current toy designers? Why not reverse engineer and improve the current design of Fansproject if they can't think of anything. Maybe they just need to add some kind of gimmicks (weapon/electronic/etc.) to catch the interest of the kids.

What do you guys think? Do we need an official Ultra Magnus Armor? Besides the armor what else do you think (add-on, character, etc.) needs an official HasTak version? How about Sixshot? Headmasters maybe?

2. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm good.

3. clintfca

clintfca G1 Inspired

News Credits:
    If I were Hasbro, I wouldn't bother. I know that FP has already been there and I'm sure even they have to agree that the FP City Commander kit is a stroke of engineering genius. Any attempt would just be considered a copycat. As a 'business' decision they would never make something as complex for a figure that size and still try to keep retail price low enough to be 'generally' affordable.

The best shot at this request might come in the form of Takara/Hasbro MP Ultra Magnus v2.0. However if so, the price might run at least $250-300.

Only time will tell ...

4. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The concept of ultra Magnus as an armored up form of prime always seemed silly to me. He's exactly like prime but with battle armor yet prime is the hero?? Make Magnus his own character like animated did or don't bother. If not military then a tow truck or something

5. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Has/Tak won't release FP's armor simply because they don't have the rights to it. I don't think they'll release an upgrade kit of their own because, well, have they ever released an upgrade kit like that? Nevermind that it's intended for a ~5 year old exclusive. The best we can hope for is a new Classics Ultra Magnus similar to the G1 6" titanium figure. Or maybe some parts-forming, who knows.

6. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

Awesome, another UM armor wish thread....

7. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    They just need to do a new ultra magnus in general.

Whether that means a stand alone figure that isn't a white optimus repaint, or a new optimus mold repainted with armor included (maybe at the ultra price point) I don't care. I just want one.

8. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I just wish they'd release an actual Optimus Prime redeco, they haven't released a real Prime redeco in anything but red and blue in 3 years.

There are so many good looking Prime molds (WfC, RtS, Battle Blades) that I just can't bring myself to buy because I'm sick of red and blue Primes. Just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit of variety would be nice.

9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

As a huge fan of Nekkid Magnus, I support this solely because it won't affect the Prime and Magnus I have currently.

10. daytimeninja

daytimeninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree, I would love to see a new Masterpiece UM with armor. That would sell. I don't one for the existing Classics mold would though.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

"Here kids, we made an armor set for a toy you probably didn't buy 5 years ago. Enjoy."

Sincerely,
    Hasbro

Not going to work.