Official Film Novelization Thread [ MAJOR SPOILERS ]

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by bumblebear, May 29, 2007.

1. brothersamuel40

brothersamuel40 Mmm... munchies

Wait... So Scorponok gets killed by the airstrike in the BOOK?

But escapes in the film? Right? RIGHT?

If this is the case, who knows what else has changed compared to the movie :) 

The movie remains a mystery (to a certain degree) folks! XD

2. Cth

Cth Cthulhu

News Credits:
    Don't forget..

He's also larger than Prime. They say Prime would be destroyed. If Megatron is larger, there's an outside chance he lives.

I'd like to see his body being dumped into the ocean, and as it gets closer to the pitch black, you see his eyes flicker to life, bright red as the sea begins to boil.

The sequel will have him being rescued by Starscream's backup team, observing from Nemesis, hidden underwater so no one would detect them.

3. DVD

DVD Well-Known Member

Bought and read the novel yesterday, and one word comes to mind: WOW! Honestly I had no idea how they'd pull off a live action TF movie, but somehow they did. And it rocks. Well, the book, anyway.

Everyone in the book is friggin perfect, from Prime to Megatron to Bumblebee to Spike. I even liked the human characters in the book(esp. Mikaela). Here's a few things I *really* liked:

The Decepticons are badass! If the Autobots are big, the 'Cons are bigger. Barricade naturally isn't the biggest, but Blackout, Bonecrusher, and especially Brawl(who is referred to in the book by his old name, Devastator) are depicted as being huge. Also, I have no problem with humans taking them out. The 'Cons think of the humans as insects, therefore they underestimate them. Especially after the troops figure out a weapon that can harm them. The 'Cons just don't get it. It's almost like part of the movie/novel(which is par for the course in Bay movies) is devoted to humans overcoming all odds, no matter the cost. Yeah, had to sneek that one in there. However, it fits with the story and Prime not only mentions it, but also comes to respect it, especially after Sam "kills" Megatron.

Bumblebee sounds like he's gonna be everyone's favorite 'Bot for the forseeable future. I know I'm falling for him all over again. Everything in the novel about him, from his heroics, to his speaking through his stereo, and his general friendship with Sam, it's all awesome.

Jazz bites the big one and is gone to be one with the Matrix, if there is such a thing in the movie continuity. He seems to get a lot of screen time and a lot of lines, so I think besides Bumblebee, he'll be everyone's second favorite(well, third I guess, behind Prime) 'Bot.

There were certain lines, classic lines that I think we'd all like to see that weren't in the novel, but hopefully make it to the big screen. Mainly between Prime and Megatron, of course. After Jazz gets taken out, I would love for Prime to whip out, "Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost". Hell, I'm getting goosebumps just typing that. "Autobots! Roll Out!" is already in the novel, so that's covered. When Megatron and Prime battle I think the movie dialogue is needed. Like, the entire Prime/Megatron conversation while they fight from TFTM'86 should be included. I can just hear Weaving's voice saying, "I'll rip out your optics!"

I'm guessing, that since Megatron merged with the Allspark, that he now either can't be killed, can create Transformers, or both. Starscream obviously went back to Cybertron, probably to get reinforcements. Everyone else, including Megatron, gets dumped into the deepest part of the ocean and then blown up, or so the novel says. I'd love it if in the movie we see the 'Cons sinking(almost like floating in the '86 movie) when Megatron's eyes barely light up, and of course he says, "I still function..." and that's what we're left with. Then *bam*, Starscream returns in the next movie with his own faction of Decepticons(after proclaiming himself ruler as Megatron is destroyed, or so he thinks), and Megatron revives himself and goes about getting some new troops now that he has the ability to create TF's. Prime's signal at the end makes it's way to Cybertron and a "rescue" team is dispatched. I'd love to see some '85 bots here, with Jetfire(Earth mode, Cybertronian mode, it doesn't matter), Smokescreen, Inferno, and possibly Grimlock. Megatron creates his own team(and here's what I think it's going to take to top TF1), the Constructicons. And yes, they form Devastator! How cool would that be?!? Ok, enough of the fantasy sequel stuff.

All in all, I'm glad I didn't wait to see the movie before I read the book. If anything, this has me even more pumped to see the movie than before. Which is the point of releasing the novel a month early, no? *whew* Ok, I'm done.

4. Super_Saiyan

Super_Saiyan British Bumblebee

Nice

5. lonegamer

lonegamer Lurking in your midst

DVD, next time, spoiler tags, PLEASE?

6. DVD

DVD Well-Known Member

Uh, sorry, but the title of the thread has MAJOR SPOILERS in it. Why are you reading a thread that says MAJOR SPOILERS if you don't want to, oh, I dunno, be spoiled?

7. lonegamer

Temptation's strong, though I do skim the stronger spoilers. :tongue:  There's just so many info that's coming out...

8. Sideswipe83

Sideswipe83 Well-Known Member

Since it was already discussed in the first post, Prime makes a comment in the book, that in Earth Terms, the humans could consider Optimus Prime as Megatron's brother and vice versa. And Prime calls him Brother in the final battle, so is it a misunderstanding of the term, or are we to assume that Prime and Megatron are related sort of, like RID Prime and Magnus?

9. lonegamer

I'd go with "sworn brother" thing or "think of him/her as my sibling" context, rather than like the case of RiD Prime and Magnus.

10. SlayerDarkCross

SlayerDarkCross -----------> ? TFW2005 Supporter

Where it entered
    [​IMG]
    Where it exited
    [​IMG]

"When the round enters the tank, it's preceded by a spray of white-hot metal fragments that will set off anything flammable or explosive. It also trails a shock wave, so the tank goes from one atmosphere to several to vacuum as the round exits the tank."

That is a Sabot round.

I may pick up the book it looks interesting. I bought the Jarhead novel before the movie came out.

11. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

Hey, it's Hollywood that we're dealing with...so it's something that we'll have to accept and deal with if it happens. But aren't we jumping the gun a bit?! LOL

12. RowdyHavokRolla

RowdyHavokRolla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    soooo much product placement

13. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Still haven't seen - is the scene of BB "peeing" oil onto S7 guys still in there?

14. Cth

Cth Cthulhu

News Credits:
    The novel:

So it doesn't say he "peed" necessarily.

And even so, with so many things wrong in the novel, it may or may not be in there still.

It's likely in there though if I had to guess.

15. OperaSingerPrime

OperaSingerPrime SupremeOperaticCommander

I know that p@#$ed me off too!!! For F@#k sake, that is so lame!!! Still gunna watch it, still gunna love it!!!

16. SocrManiac

SocrManiac TFW2005 Supporter

There are SPOILERS in this post. If you haven't figured that out already from the thread title, I can't help you.

Just finished the book. It's an insanely quick read. I hate spending $6 on a book that lasts three hours.

I digress...

I went into this with negative impressions. I have never enjoyed Michael Bay, I haven't enjoyed any of his movies, and many of the decisions made bothered the hell out of me. I read the prequel book, which did nothing to allay my fears or make me think this movie would be at all worthwhile.

Then, I read this book.

I'm blown away. If this translates well to the screen, I don't know that we could have gotten a better live action movie. The only thing that doesn't work is Bumblebee's lack of a speech center- the explanation is lame and misses the suspension of disbelief.. These beings are portrayed as being far too advanced to have such a minor inconvenience be irreparable.

Optimus Prime and Bumblebee are everything we'd expect. Ironhide, Ratchet, and Jazz are of little consequence, little more than soldiers to fill ranks. They each have a line or two to establish their character within our expectations, but beyond that they're anonymous. As a standalone, there's little attachment to Jazz when he's killed.

The Decepticons' motivation is simple and very well executed. Their characterization is rather minimal, but it need not be complex.

The love story is generic, rehashed, and predictable. The less said, the better.

All in all, I'm shocked at how well this came off. For the first time, I'm excited to see the movie.

17. neK

neK Is behind you...

Well, they don't call the missiles 'Hellfires' for nothing lol

Still, it seems a bit anti-climatic, I hope Screamer takes on the jets in the movie =D

18. SocrManiac

SocrManiac TFW2005 Supporter

It should be interesting to see how the sequels pan out. These Transformers have the ability to take on a new disguise in a moment's notice- that could get expensive as hell from a toy collecting standpoint... I suppose it makes the whole "disguise" thing alot more achievable, as once a bot has transformed once it has really blown its disguise.

19. Brillo

Brillo Member

how does the book begin? is it like the leaked script with Sam's great XXXX finding Meg's in ice? Do the glasses still come into play?

20. juuubart

juuubart Active Member

also managed to read a junior novel (for kids). same flow for the story, less dialogue and less violent descriptions.