Official Discussion Thread for the 20th Anniversary Movie DVD

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Joe Moore, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Urlacher5454

Urlacher5454 Well-Known Member

I just watched The special Scramble City commentary and it was really well done. Such a knowlegable guy. Great job.

2. Sero

Sero Well-Known Member

my review:

Remastered color:?!?!?
    Anyone else not like the "remastered" color. Rodimus is freakin dark pink/magenta. All the reds in fact are washed out. Why not say "contrast turned up to wash out colors".

Linticular Cover:
    Fine, but what the heck do I do with it? it wont fit in the cover skin.

Extras:
    Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for when i bought the orginal remastered DVD a coupla years ago at Suncoast.

My girlfriend's 4 year old is watching it now. And you guys thing you're big fans. He is more into TFs than I am. I am sure he has something to say more than commenting on Rodimus being pink.

3. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

The cases should have a tight clear plastic slip on it,just slide it in there.

4. Urlacher5454

Urlacher5454 Well-Known Member

The cover is too big to fit in there. We may have to trim a little bit off :banghead: 

5. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Ok, The reversable cover is awesome. The lenticular card is pretty much worthless outside of the DvD package which you can't keep it in once you take the plastic off. Guess I'll find a frame or something for it. The movie itself looks better than ever EXCEPT that some of the colors are a little brighter than they should be. Yes, HotRod is a bright pink in a lot of it. I got used to it quickly but it was a shock at first. The sound is nice and clear. The extra stuff is fun and definately made the purchase worthy. Thank-you to all involved. All in all I'm pretty damn happy with it and it kicked the Rhino versions ass all over the place.

6. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    I got mine at Circuit City tonight and it does NOT have the lenticular cover. It was the only one they had left, so Im assuming they all were that way.

7. Arkaynen

Arkaynen Active Member

I bought mine at Best Buy over lunch and have started to go through it. So far, I'm impressed with it overall.

I watched the Scramble City episode, and was a little disappointed. Maybe I'm not aware of some history here, but it sure seemed to me like Rik and Alex do not get along - there were several points that felt uncomfortable to watch, like there was going to be geek battle royal. In addition, I don't know how much prep time was allowed, but I guess I expected a little more than "this is old animation", followed by a long pause "this is new animation".

I apologize if it's considered rude to post this here since Alex was involved, but it just seemed kind of rushed to me.

I'm holding off on watching the actual movie until the 17th, when a bunch of my buddies are coming over. :D 

8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I just want to say a few things here ok 1st I think Hot Rod was always that color in the movie maybe not in the TV series but in the movie. 2nd nothing wrong with pink before World War I baby boys were put in pink in hospitals and girls in blue, boys were put in pink because it was thought to be the stronger color. No records on why the switch of colors after WW1. that is a blurb out of my textbook A New Psychology of Women by Hilary M. Lips

Also I just watched the fan commentary version, you guys had a lot of fun doing that eh? :lol 

9. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    The Scramble City thing didn't do much for me. The commentary was bare basic at best (no offence intended) and somewhat inaccurate with the facts. And I agree, Rik & Alex seemed to argue in parts, making it almost awkward to watch. "It's just a cartoon", "let's agree to disagree", "well, believe whatever you want to believe" kind of comments seemed very out of place here.

I'm pretty let down by the lack of TV commercials. I've seen more of them on YouTube than what they included on this DVD. Specifically, I was quite surprised they didn't include the ones for The Predacons, Omega Supreme, the Decpticon triple changers, any of the Head/Targetmasters, Sky Lynx, etc.

And while the animation definitely looks better in some areas, it's pretty much exactly what I knew it would be - just turned up contrast making most of the red now look pink. VERY disappointing.

I'm glad they included the original feature trailer that shows bunches of scenes that didn't make it into the movie, but I'm still a little let down that they couldn't have been included in the final cut. The transformed look of Autobot city, the scene where Megatron and virtaully *every* Decepticon are behind him avoiding laser blasts, the part where Galvatron sinks into Unicron, etc. So much good stuff.

Overall, definitely worth the $15 CAN that I paid for it, but I would have felt ripped off if it was any more expensive than that.

10. xler8

xler8 WST

On my tests, the bright color problem appears to be only the widescreen disk. Hot Rod looks great (not neon pink) in the fullscreen disk.

I took one screenshot from each disk to illustrate the difference in the widescreen and fullscreen versions of the film. The colors in the widescreen version are all too neon.

See pics here

These were taken with Cyberlink PowerDVD, hardware acceleration enabled, color profile: original. I am ignoring the image aspect ratio for now as PowerDVD takes all screencaps as 720x480. This makes it hard to sort out what the original resolution was. Will deal with that later.

(Note:These images are posted in compliance with the Fair Use Act and are intended for review/criticism. They will be removed immeditately if found to be in violation of US Fair Use standards.)

(this was posted on seiberton.com as well)

11. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I got mine at Barnes and Noble, no lenticular cover either. :( 

Haven't watched much of it yet, but it looks great so far!! :D 

I WANT MY LENTICULAR COVER!!!

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Hey, real quick -

A personal big "Thanks" goes out to Paul for the explanations of what's going on in a lot of the commentary, particularly on the deleted scenes stuff. I appreciate you walking us through it. Thanks, Paul!

13. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

is it just me or does hot rod get more red, on the widescreen disc, after Prime dies. He seems less pink after the death scene to me...or maybe i just got used to it?

14. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

Chiming in to say the Scramble City Commentary kinda stunk. It wasn't bad but there was to much argueing. Anyone have any information on why it was happening?

Please don't take this personal because I think all the commentary for that was from people on 2005, but the one guy was talking about a combiner's limbs always changing with each scene, which I felt was pretty cool information I wouldn't have noticed, and the other guy made the comment that to "Remember it's just a cartoon." So? It was some good information fans might not have noticed.

Also eagerly awaiting the easter egg findings.

15. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

ok i have subtitles off, however when magnus is being shot by the sweeps an " !ah! " shows up as a subtitle? anyone else?

16. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Anyone having luck with the Web DVDexclusivefeatures?

I have tryed both DVDs and it just says that I need to incert DVD over and over. :( 

17. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I was playing with my TV setttings for the first half of the Widescreen Movie trying to figure while the hell Hot Rod was so pink! I thought my our new TV was messed up and defualted all the colors settings trying to figure it out. I agree that while the colors are good, they are a little bright in certain parts. Guess I better try Disc 2 and check out the full screen version.

18. ooh_henry

ooh_henry New Member

Hey...I got mine at Best Buy - Etobicoke, ON $99.99 Canadian...with 3D cover and 20th Anniversary OPTIMUS PRIME Figure.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Sounded like playful banter.

[​IMG]

No, not bantor.

20. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Completely awesome. Going to go watch it again!