Official Blackest Night Thread

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Darkravager, May 1, 2009.

1. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

given the massive event assult were use to seeing I normally just pick up a big event if it peeks my interest and just enjoy the ride for what its, I also rarely pick up any of the side stories or crossovers that they sell along with it.

For this though I am pumped up, I read rebirth and enjoyed it enough to get me to read the new ongoing and the sinestro corps just knocked it out of the park. This series is coming after a few very good stories and a year of build up has just made me want the series even more. I also have faith in Johns as a writer and I don't really care about who a black lantern is I'm just looking forward to seeing what the artists come up with in their redesign more then anything.

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    how do you guys feel about the way they are doing tie-ins for this series?

i'm torn between liking it and hating in...on the down side, if i'm already buying a series, like batman or superman now i've gotta buy something extra, but at the same time, its not running into a story that's happening in the books i'm reading now...so, whatdya think?

3. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Is the whole freakin' checklist out?

Also, is anyone else worried that this is going to suffer from the mega-event status it seems to be receiving?

4. Computron34

Computron34 Always Tired

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yes Sir.

Well, Part 1 atleast.

Attached Files:

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I actually think this mega event will go well. Why? Because it's not a DC Mega Events like others. This is a really big Green Lantern story that just has a ton of guest stars rather than a DC story that involves every title.

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Exactly you don't even have to read The batman, superman or titans for it to make sense.

7. Optimus17

Optimus17 Well-Known Member

^ I agree. All the main stuff will be in the Green Lantern titles and of course Blackest Night. So I don't think it's going to be that you have to pick up every tie-in for any of it to make sense.
    Here's a question: Since Superboy is alive in the future do you guys think he's gonna be back in the present for Blackest Night? As a Black Lantern, I mean.

8. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah, i wonder how much extra tie in stuff will come from this story...and i hope the tie-ins are written well and make sense in the overall story...and geoff johns should have executive power over them to make sure they don't mess anything up...but that might also wear him out alot...

9. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Well it was stated that this is HIS story. it's a story he has wanted to tell since joining the title with Rebirth. Sure, a few pieces have fallen into place since then (mostly who is available as Black Lanterns) but he has control.

10. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah. i know that's how it started, i just HOPE dc didn't get too overzealous with the idea, cuz then it might get messed up, but hopefully they've learned.

11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Finally read it. A nice soft introduction to the story. I had the laugh at the obvious the Hawks and Atom are dead mistake panel.

12. ponn01

ponn01 Black Lantern

Anyone else read Previews or order through DCBS or similar? They are offering a version of Blackest Night #1 with a Black Lantern Ring. That is so sweet, I know it will be a cheap plastic thing but I am going to be wearing that sucker around.

Anyone else planning on picking up the Tales of the Corps books? I like those side stories, like the Tales of Sinestro Corps ones but that 3.99 price tag per book is just churning my stomach.

13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

So do you guys think that the "Soranik/Sinestro" relation will play some role into it?

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I re-read Blackest Night #0 and it is interesting, although it feels like it was written more for long-time fans than to really draw in new readers. The pin-ups of the various Corps served that function well enough. I think, though, that if I wasn't following GL and excited about this story already, this issue wouldn't have drawn me in. But it was a good enough set-up and only a couple more months to wait until the story really kicks off.

I'm definitely looking forward to that miniseries, since I enjoy the "Tales of [color] Corps" style stories, with the most recent Orange Lantern one being really neat. The $3.99 price tag isn't great, but at least DC's justifying it by making all three TotC issues 40 pages, so there is extra content for that extra dollar.

15. ponn01

ponn01 Black Lantern

Absolutely. They are leaving some loose ends with all these stories they are trying to finish up quick before going into Blackest Night so I have a feeling alot of this is tying directly into Blackest Night somehow.

Kind of like the few panels we get with Carol Ferris yet shes shown in alot of preview pictures for Blackest Night.

16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

hopefully it isnt like what Marvel does...either put a really old story or add the transcript of the story you just read (Director's Cut)....

17. Lumpy

News Credits:
    DC is pretty good about putting in useful content most of the time...so we'll see...but we'll know soon enough...

18. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is that what Marvel's doing to justify their price increases? Damn, it's been ages since I've read a Marvel book...guess I'm not missing much.

So far, DC's been pretty good about doling out more content for the extra dollar, whether more pages or a back-up feature or something. Although (being cynical here), it wouldn't surprise me if the extra content gets quietly dropped once they've gotten everyone used to the $3.99 price.

19. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

*drools*

20. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Awesome.