Official Blackest Night Thread

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Darkravager, May 1, 2009.

1. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

The time has finally come! Tomorrow is Free Comic Book Day and that means that Blackest Night #0 will finally be out (except for those of you who got it already).

Now let's see if our predictions come true!

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty decent prelude issue. Black Hand was at
    Batman's
    grave and pulled his skull out of the ground and it's eyes started glowing. Also I guess DC gave up trying to hide
    E2 Superman's
    Black Lantern status with that DC Direct toy ad in the magazine.

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

They've had that ad all month. They actually had 2 spoiler/teaser posters released in early April with 2 characters as Black Lanterns and he was one of them.

The Batman thing is confusing as hell. He's dead but he's not? He's in the past writing on some cave wall yet his skeleton is buried in the present day? Blackest Night: Batman should answer something, I hope

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah...that's very confusing...i'm trying to explain it to my cousin and it just doesnt work...unless batman pulled the old switcheroo and wasn't actually him who got shot...but i doubt that...

5. King_Manta

King_Manta Well-Known Member

Actually, the artist, Doug Mahnke, has stated that there's a clue in the cowl Bruce is wearing in Final Crisis 6. The clue is between his final battle and corpse-recovery scenes.

The corpse has no holes in the cowl where the machine was used to probe his brain.

6. Lumpy

News Credits:
    hmmm...so then someone else is in a dead batsuit? and superman, who can READ PEOPLES DNA, can't tell? that doesn't sit right with me at all...

7. King_Manta

1. The universe fell apart. Superman didn't have time. He was the only one who could fix it.
    2. He knew Batman was going to die(future records). He has no reason to believe it's anyone else.
    3. It is Bruce's DNA. We just saw him escape from a room full of his own clones that clawed their eyes out(the corpse has no eyes)

8. Lumpy

News Credits:
    was that what was going on in that room? i barely remember final crisis at all...i think i purged it from my brain...so basically, its a dead bat clone...that's still weak...i am a diehard bat fan, and i really think they shoulda just killed bruce...at least for awhile, leave him truly dead...but oh well...

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Remember Starman is now a grave digger. He may have moved some bodies. There might be more to his mission than just conner.

10. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah, i knew he was diggin graves, but i guess he could swap some stuff out...maybe earth 2 batmans body just popped up or something? i'm sure geoff johns will explain it though...still, i liked batman with the green ring, and with a yellow, but a dead bats with a black ring? that could be really terrifying...

11. King_Manta

They already addressed Starman's gravedigging. He had to dig up Conner Kent's body and move it to the Fortress of Solitude. He placed it in the regeneration chamber used to resurrect Superman a few years ago. A thousand years in the future, the regeneration is complete and Conner returns to life.

Let me explain Batman's current status:
    Darkseid killed Batman. Bruce Wayne is dead. The difference is that he used the Omega Sanction on Bruce. This is a type of godwave that traps your soul and prevents it from passing to the afterlife. Instead of passing on, Bruce's soul is shunted into random points in history, where he is forced to relive his life and die. Each new life is worse than the last. The purpose of this is to destroy his soul. The recurring lives eventually become too much for the soul to bear and it dissipates. This also explains why newer Batman stories are darker than their silver age counterparts. It's canon meets metatext.

Darkseid also did this to Shilo Norman(Mister Miracle) and Sonny Sumo, as they were instrumental in the prophecy of his death(Final Crisis). Sonny Sumo lived out lives on the 52 earths and Shilo escaped during his first 'new' life.

So Bruce is dead. We have his body. It's also worth noting that Bruce knew he would die in Final Crisis. Dr Hurt cursed the cowl and stated that the next time he wore it would be his last. He puts it back on in Final Crisis and ends up dying. Bruce left tons of material and plans for the Outsiders because he knew he was near the end.

Did anyone read Gaimen's recent story? It's sort of a metatextual take on the notion that all Batman stories are true and it's all the same Bruce(his soul living multiple lives).
    I recommend any Bat fan to pick it up.

*edit* Also, on the page where Bruce dies, you can see a yellow/red flash behind him. It's suggesting that a speedster(or the Flashes) may have pulled a fast one in that panel. I don't think it was Barry or Jay who did it, though. Their only task was to lead the Black Racer to Darkseid's disembodied form for harvesting.

12. Lumpy

News Credits:
    thanks KM...that was a killer explanation...and it makes sense...i've got the neil gaimen story sitting on top of my to read pile, maybe i'll go pick it up and read it now...

13. Optimus17

Optimus17 Well-Known Member

DC annoys me with the whole Batman might or might not be dead. I mean it's so gimmicky and stupid. Now it's like "Oh well let's kill Batman for a couple months and then bring him back." Whatever.
    Anyway, back on topic. Blackest Night #0 was awesome. My brother and I kept trying to figure out who all the hands were at the Black Lantern bio page. So far we got
    Aquaman, MirrorMaster, J'onn, and maybe Batman.
    Anyone figure out any others?

14. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Some suggestions I've heard are
    Firestorm (who else would the big puffy red sleeve belong to?), Blue Beetle (Ted), Terra, Doctor Light, and Jade (who we know is coming back from one of those lame back-ups in a recent issue of GLC).

15. Lumpy

News Credits:
    i wonder if someone can resist the black rings...much the same way that batman rejected the yellow ring...cuz that would be an interesting spin on it, maybe a few black lanterns fight off the death control...

16. Darkravager

I dont know. I can see how people who are alive can resist a ring, but I don't see how the dead can do it. If they would take off the ring, presumably, they would die.

17. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

and that's assuming they have a will of their own and are not just ring wielding zombies. Remember, that's basically what the orange ones are.

Oh, that gives me an idea for the next Marvel/DC crossover, Marvel Zombies/Black Lanterns.

18. Darkravager

If I understand it right, the Orange lanterns are actually just an army of constructs made by Agent Orange.

19. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I wasn't going to pay any attention to this story. As I said several times, I'm just burnt out with events, but hey, #0 was free and I am really curious about the different colors Corps....

Now I'm thinking of picking it up. All of it. The whole freakin' checklist.

What the hell is wrong with me?

20. Lumpy

News Credits:
    nothing at all SS...this story is going to be amazing...