Offbeat topic: Anyone watch the Transformers Movie for the humans?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MGX, Jul 9, 2008.

1. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, this might be a really crazy topic, but was anyone feeling the human characters' plight and drama more than the Transformers themselves??? I mean is there anyone who didn't care for the special effects and wanted to see more Sam and Mikaela?

Is there anyone out there who wants more human drama and comedic elements from the humans? I swear I'm not joking (I KNOW I sound like it), but are there actually people out there who were feeling Lennox and Epps moreso than Prime and company? I mean it's like an alien way of watching TF, as the series has been more about the aliens than the humans, but are there some people who have done the opposite?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah most people who don't post on this board went to go watch it because of the actors and humor. Hopefully they don't make up enough of the demographic to affect the second one.

3. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm talking about if you went in expecting to hate the humans and actually caring more about them than the TFs themselves...it's unusual, but it's been known to happen...

It's like going to the movies to see what will happen to Sam and Mikaela or Epps and Lennox instead of the TFs.

Has this reverse happened to anyone?

4. rabbid1

rabbid1 Well-Known Member

As a matter of fact, I am really looking forward to the possible interaction of not only Shia and Megan, but Shia and Isabel as well.

There seems opportunity to develope complex character interactions and the exploration of the depth of the on-screen relationships, while examining ideals such ad fidelity, faithfulness and temptation- and the challenges that people face in their everyday lives that ultimately lead to personal growth.

I fear the worst for this movie; Glen and Maggie aren't being reported as returning, and there seems to be a larger number of robots in this sequel than the first. I hope the filmmakers don't get it wrong.

More humans and less transforming robots in my Transformers movie.

5. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    Looks like somebody wants their ass kicked. :sly2: 

Just kidding. Though us fans as well as the people who have watched the movie want the opposite of what you mentioned. We want more Transformers and less humans.

If Michael Bay were to ever consider what you've said, I just may turn into a hater for the movie after all. :D 

6. Scooby.Smokescreen

Scooby.Smokescreen Well-Known Member

No no and no.

Would prefer no humans at all.

7. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    I want to see a major Robot Rumble but I don't know much I can feel for the characters if the movie only had robots.

I think the movie absolutey had to have Sam and Mikaela. If they weren't there and if Bumblebee didn't have to be Sam's guardian, I wouldn't have cared as much if he got captured.

I think humans are necessary but too much, such as the hacker subplot could've been taken out somehow and replaced with more robot rumble

8. Indiancowboy

Indiancowboy Well-Known Member

eh, contrary to board belief, most of the people I know (who do not collect TFs nor were ever really into them) went to see some cool transformers. My GF's favorite part of the movie was Bumblebee. To quote her when I told her I started collecting TFs again a couple of weeks ago, "I would give you crap, but I thought Bumblebee and the other transformers were really cool"

Most of them didn't mind the lack of transformer screentime as much as we did (although most of my male friends did somewhat).

Personally, I'm a huge Shia LeBouf fan and have been since his Evens Stevens days. I wouldn't say that I was more into the human side than the robot side, but I will say that I was bothered a lot less by this defect because of the lead character. I can't think of too many leads that would apply to though.

That said, I will be just as upset as the rest of you if there isn't more TF characterization in the next installment.

9. Sideways

Sideways Banned

i went to see the movie for giant robots not lame humans..

10. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Did I watch the film for the humans?
    No.
    Was I glad that Duhamel, Gibson and Voigt were in it?
    Hell yes.
    I'm also happy that Megan Fox's abs were there.

We could have done without Shia "the only film I was good in was Indiana Jones" Lebouf though.

11. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Not particularly no. I went in expecting the robots to be more on the back burner to the humans, which I didn't really mind. Really I was there for the movie as a whole.

That said, I'm sure at least one of the times I saw it in theaters (probably the IMAX screening) was for the humans, that Megan Fox..rawr.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, then absolutely. Though I never expected to hate them and was very happy with the casting choices. I ended up being entertained by my transformers, and the story of Sam.

13. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

yes. Transformers has never been about giant robots. It has been about their redemption and evolution through the human race. While humans are weak and squishie, they grow more int he sliver of time they interact with Spike, Rad and Alexis, Sari than they have in millions of years of their pointless war.

While they are technologically advanced they are less evolved than ourselves and that is why Optimus Prime succeeds is his embracing of the human spirit.

TFs have always been about Humans and Earth. If Transformers was nothing more than robots kicking each other in the crotch, it would have been a terrible series and would have rightfully died in 1984.

Bumblebee's scenes with Sam were infinitly more interesting and telling about him as a robot than any of his interactions with the other TFs. Same goes for Frenzy.

14. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Sam plot line and the millitary plot line were pretty darn good.
    However, the Maggie/Glen plot line and the campy S7 stuff brought the overall Human side of the story down.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Until Animated I never really liked the human characters. I didn't hate them or anything because it's just something in the Autobot programing that makes them seek out other forms of life and to befriend them, but it was never hey wow that human character is great.

In the movie I liked Sam because he was just enough of a loser that you could identify with the kid because none of us were as cool as we hoped we'd be in high school. A nice step away from the perfect main characters we usually get. On down side was he was a bit like one of your friends that always crosses a line into too much information. Soldiers were good even though we could have done without the baby scene.

Rest of the human cast I wasn't really that into. Girlfriend was dressed a bit too trashy and sometimes she would have this expression like she was several fries short of a happy meal. Parents were really way too much information. Hackers just felt in the way of the rest of the story.

Human cast ranged from good and interesting to a waste of film, but honestly I payed to see live action Decepticons so boy did I ever get short changed.

16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I disagree with the social evolution. Since until Animated, the various social status of various characters isn't touched on in the mass Transformers media (referring to cartoons here) and has generally depicted Megatron as a war mongering dictator who wishes for absolute power over everything to the point of target fixation. Optimus Prime, for the most part, has always been his opposite number embodying all that is good about life and society to the point of being too trusting.

If one were to make a Transformers series with no humans, the roles once filled by those outside observers would be filled by other characters who offer similar or identical viewpoints. How much could one do with Beachcomber's character, the avowed pacifist or perhaps a deeper exploration of Ironhide etc etc.

17. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Err...the humans were there but i watch the movies for the robots ^^ But i would be lying if i say i dont want to see Lennox again. I really want to see him in charge of the NEST gang and his interaction with Ironhide.

18. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    If anything, when I heard Bernie Mac would be in it, I was wanting to see him give lip to the bots but of course that didnt happen. Didnt care about any of the other actors except for Shia, but thats becuase I thought he was good for the part. Jon Voigt, though a good actor, sucked in this one. Josh whatever his name is was only good in the Vegas series and Ive always hated Tyreese. Megan wasnt good enough to be called an actress.

19. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    i want a movie with giant people and annoying robots

20. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

No no no, no no no no, no no no no no and NO!

title of the movie TRANSFORMERS NOT HUMANS

Its a story about robots kicking the shit out of each other, Not about the lives of humas, thats what other movies are for.