Off-Brand explosion

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Alpha Prime, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

Reciently there have been a crap load of off-brand tfs in stores that i've noticed. There are the REVs, big hotwhell morphers, and hasbro has some animal/car transformers for liltle kids. Any others yall have seen?

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Well, there were some Batman transforming figures at Toyfair. And don't forget the Marvel Mega Morphs.

This isn't new though, really. It happens when Transformers are really popular. Back in the 80s there were a bunch of imitation toys (including a few in Mattel's He-Man line).

3. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah i have seen that to. I think the worst of the offenders is the Marvel Megamorph's. Guess there hoping to get a piece of the TF's pie, with all the hype over the movie

4. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Roadbots are available online as well.

5. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Too bad none of them really come close to TFs, IMO.

6. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

REV's, mega morphs mostly. REV's blow, Mega morph's not impessive. Perhaps being picky in the matter, while leading to a smaller collection, means I don't regret what I buy?

7. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    I'd love it if there were more transforming robot toys. variety and competition is always good.

But, no one outside of the Transformers team at Hasbro seems to get it right. this is evident when looking at SWTF and Titanium, because even the best of those lines don't hold a candle to the feats the HasTak designers cook up several times over for main line toys.

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I'm surprised nobody else has started importing toy robot lines from Japan to compete... I mean, obviously, Power Rangers has been doing that for a while, and there are all the collectible card game-type Japanese imports... but no other transforming robot lines that I can think of recently.

Which is surprising when you consider how to match Transformers for quality, you really have to go back to the source... the REVs and MegaMorphs just aren't cutting it.

zmog

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm a little surprised about those Hot Wheels robot things, since one or two are licensed cars that have already appeared in the Alternators line. One would think Hasbro would try to get some exclusivity in their "Ford Mustang toy that turns into a robot" licensing arrangement.

10. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I like the ones that turn into a car with a boom box... forgot what they're called. Got them for $1, might make them into something cool.

11. Leemon

Leemon Yar, spare sum fuel mate?

News Credits:
    They were called "Robo Rods" and as bad as they were, I think they're better than those REV's. At least Robo Rods don't look like they ripped out the guts of a car and strapped the empty shell on it's body the way the REV's do.

12. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Fs:

That would be the automaker's call, since it's their license. The toy robot does provide some advertising for the car, but the car name provides much more for Hasbro. Therefore, any attempt by the toy maker to basically say "Okay, so we want to be exclusive licensees, so don't go licensing to anybody else or we'll back out" would be met with "Sure, go ahead. No skin off our collective nose".

(Lots of fish in the toy-car sea.)

13. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    The ONLY company I can see competing against Transformers is Bandai...they have enough molds in their hostory that it would be EASY to put together a strong competitor line other than Power Rangers. Even back in the old days most of Transformers decent competition was Bandai molds...GoDaiKin & Machine Robo. I'd LOVE to see Mugenbine over here :D 

14. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Correction: it's "roborods" -- apparently the company is picky about their trademarked name (they actually prefer no capitals at all--go fig). And even though they didn't appear to sell well in stores, that hasn't stopped Maisto from releasing a whole new product line:

http://www.maisto.com/products.asp?stext=&ID=181&submit=Search

They've done some vintage cars like I've been hoping Hasbro would do for years.

They look a little Gobotty and their "backstory" and "accessories" are just plain laughable, but if you like collecting transforming oddities, they aren't half-bad. And I must admit the alt-modes are pretty cool. It's like having transforming Hot Wheels cars, even if the bot modes suck.

I agree about REV's. However, they look like they'd be great candidates for kitbashing...once they go on clearance.

I saw Hot Wheel's Modifighters™ for the first time Wednesday (after seeing Alpha Prime's mention in this thread about "big hotwhell morphers" I went to WMT to check them out) and the alt modes aren't bad, but the bots design is crappy--has a single rod that swivels in a couple places between the upper and lower torso. And for these to be "fighting" robots, they look about as sturdy as toothpicks. They also show "battle damage" when they get wet, but the "battle damage" material they sprayed on the bots looks icky... like dried llama spit.

http://www.hotwheels.com/showcase/product.aspx?product_number=K7902&category_id=7591

And if you want a good laugh, check out their "tech specs" on the back of the packages that describes the characters. There's one (Skull-something) that sounds a lot like it was ripped off Soundwave's profile.

Marvel's MegaMorphs were made of really cheap plastic, and most of them were goofy and silly (I still can't believe they got noted comics writers and artists to create actual comics featuring them--must've needed the money REAL bad), but I liked the Hulk one and bought one after it went on clearance. He's a little blocky and odd, but I just think it's cool having a Hulk figure that transforms into this badass tank-looking thing. There's no alt-mode more fitting for him. And I might also pick up "The Thing" MegaMorph if it gets reduced low enough for me.

I also noted that Bandai is suspiciously using "trans-" as a prefix for the buzzwords on their packaging for the new Power Rangers Operation Overdrive. Spotted "TransTek" and "Trans Max" on more than a few toys, and some just outright say "transforming":

http://www.toywiz.com/operationoverdrivemegazord.html

I would've thought that Hasbro would've surely trademarked that word by now, but perhaps it's just too common.

You talking about the GoBots line? Those have been out for years. But if there's something new (besides the ones previewed at ToyFair), could someone provide a link with pics? I'm stocking up on these little tykes-type TFs for my future child(ren) to shape them into third generation TF fans.

15. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Finally saw these at Target a couple days ago, and they're from Fisher-Price, not Hasbro:

http://www.fisher-price.com/us/products/product.asp?id=38783
    http://www.fisher-price.com/us/products/product.asp?id=38782
    http://www.fisher-price.com/us/products/product.asp?id=38781
    http://www.fisher-price.com/us/products/product.asp?id=38780

Cute lil' buggers. I'd so buy these if I had a preschool-age kid. And if they go on clearance later I might just stock up on 'em for my future child.

16. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not bothered when I see other toylines that feature transforming robots, as that idea in itself is not original to "The Transformers." Sure, most any transforming bots you'll see in the US at this point will obviously be based on the popularity/staying power of TF, but all the same, it never really rings as a direct rip off to me. There have been thousands of transforming robots shows and probably millions of toys over the years.

17. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Certainly no different, and not nearly as aggressive IMHO, as Hasbro's blatant use of "Machine Robo Rescue" for Universe Ratchet & Red Alert to stop Bandai from bringing over the Machine Robo Rescue line from Japan that was being heavily imported at the time...surprised they havent named a TF "Mugenbine" at this point....

18. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

hasbro's making something similar for the movie too.

19. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
  20. Sideways

Sideways Banned

i just got one of the RoadBots...the Toyota Celica Tuner Version from BBTS.
    pretty cool. i like it. But definately NOT A TRANSFORMER!!!