Odd reicurring design/decoration choices on Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cheebs, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Anybody else notice the simple things Hastak does consistently wrong/strange on most TFs? Not that Hastak doesn't do an amazing job, but some design/decoration choices just confuse the heck out of me.

I'm not talking about missing or sloppy paint apps. I know these things are $10 toys on a tight budget.

I'm not talking about gaudy "speed stripes" and colors and what-not on the alt modes. I know these are for kids who think that stuff is "awesome".

I'm talking about stuff that I can't chalk up to either cost or "kid appeal". Like car tires. Whenever TF tires are made of rubber, the tread grooves are fine. When they're molded from hard plastic (like most TF toys) the tire treads are always running the wrong way! All real tires have grooves running around the radius (long way) to channel water. None of the plastic-tire TFs have radial tread grooves. All of the rubber-tire TFs do. Why? Why don't they mold tires correctly when they're in hard plastic?

Then there's the transparent windshields. Why are they always cast in clear blue/red/yellow plastic? The one TF with a totally-clear windshield is Movie Barricade...and he almost looks like an Alternator because of it! So why do movie Bumblebee, Jazz, Ratchet, etc have blue windshields? I've never seen a car with a window tint other than black. So whats with the rainbow-glass in TF-land? I can't possibly imagine this is a kid-friendly thing. Every other toy car in the toy isle has regular windows. So what's up with TFs?

2. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Because the tires molded 'incorrectly' look knobbly and gnarly to the kids, and therefore cooler. Rubber tires are rare on TF's these days, and likely outsourced to scale model care divisions to make... who do them correctly because their molds are set up for authentic models

Because Transformers RARELY have a proper 'interior' to them. More often than not, you have a robot face staring up at you through the windshield. If you tint the windows, it makes this harder to make out.

What I want to know is... what was Hasbro's fascination with lime green and purple on toys? Ever since Armada hit, and even before that... green and purple. Not only that, shades of green and purple that look AWFUL together. Why? And then we get to Animated, the one line that might POSSIBLY pull that look off... and we never see it.

3. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Don't forget G1 Constructicons and ALOT of G2!

4. Hound & Mirage

Hound & Mirage Rapscallion

It's actually so that the tire will roll properly on a smooth tabletop surface. If they molded the plastic ones the same way they mold the rubber tires then the wheels would tend to slide across a smooth surface instead of roll.

5. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

Yup, my vote goes to creating friction as well.

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Why do we keep getting guns mounted to the underside of people's arms? Classics Megs, TFA Megs, Universe Inferno, Universe Onslaught: all equipped with guns they can't aim.