Odd PS3 problem

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Hook, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Hook

Hook The real Constructicon leader Veteran

News Credits:
    My PS3 acted strangely yesterday and was wondering if this is considered a 'normal' system crash, or if I should be concerned. My system is a 80Gb unit with PS2 software backwards compatibility, which I bought used a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, I inserted Splinter Cell in the Blu-ray drive and while it was loading, I pressed the PS button to check my battery life, then returned to the game's loading screen. That's when I noticed that the screen was stuck on the 'loading' screen for what seemed like far too long. The system then beeped 4 times, and the console rebooted.

Since rebooting, everything went back to normal, which leads me to believe that pressing the PS button while the game was loading was probably what made the system hang/crash. I guess the PS button is similar to the ctrl-ald-del command on a PC?

Should I be concerned about this? I tried Googling the issue but the results mostly point to l337 speak and ******ed comments on the Playstation or Gamespot forums.

2. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Looks like you got the dreaded 4 beeps of death. (joke)

3. TM2 D-bot

TM2 D-bot Forsight Into the Future Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Was it only loading the game or also a system patch? If it was loading a patch it probably rebooted automatically after.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's happened to me once or twice when I was waiting too long for a LBP level to load. I held the PS button down and went to end the game, but instead of ending, it rebooted the system. It hasn't affected anything else. Must be some kind of bug involving two things happening at once.

5. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My PS3 has frozen a few times while running Hulu through the browser. I reset the system by holding down the main power button for a few seconds until I get those four beeps you mentioned. I'm guessing you can do that with the PS button as well. Since the PS3 is pretty much a computer, these hard resets don't worry me. Maybe they should(?) but I haven't had any problems.

6. Hook

Hook The real Constructicon leader Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's what I thought too. The PS3 gets alot of use, between streaming media over the LAN, DVD/Blu-ray playback and gaming and this was the only time I had anything odd happen. So the theory of two things at once makes the most sense.

Well, off I go! I found a still scealed copy of MGS4 Limited Edition in the local sales add for a sweet 40$ and will pick it up in the next hour.

*cheers like a schoolgirl*

7. newguy

newguy i

My 80gb has been frezing up too. Its just a little dusty. Get a little air canister and spay the dust out. The dust gets on the laser to read the disk and will mess it. So just spray in the the little holes you can fit the nosle in.

8. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Not to be alarmist, but this is the behavior my 60 started up with right before it died.

From what I learned, it's either nothing and your system just crashed due to a game specific issue...

or...

your system has a hardware issue that will only get worse (Usually either the power supply or generic board issue).

At any rate, back up your system with the backup utility and stop leaving discs in it when you power down.

If you start seeing a flashing yellow light in tandem with the power downs...call up Sony for your coffin. :/