Odd Alternator character Choices

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jestermon, Jun 9, 2010.

1. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

I just have been thinking about this when I have recently bought some alts, why didn't they ever make Prime(earlier on), Megatron, Bumblebee, Staracream the kind of main 4 in alot of lines.

We got 2 versions of a Tape, and several others that weren't the original 13.

Decepticon wise we got no one even remotely seekerish, you think they would have snuck a Starscream in there some how that we could have complained about just like prime not being what he used to.

I am not complaining about who we got in no way shape or form I love them, but it is a tad bit odd.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    They probably never thought of making anyone who wasn't a car in G1 early on. And because this was collector-targetted, they wanted to release characters who hadn't had as much exposure.

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    They had a design for Bumblebee (a kick-ass one, IMO), but they couldn't get the vehicle licensing to clear.

Megatron and Starscream as cars were considered borderline blasphemy at that point, so they weren't initially thought of. I think a Megatron design (a Cadillac, IIRC) was planned for the tail end of the line, but they ended up canning the whole project

4. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Binaltech bots were released so MP Prime can have his gang in scale. Thus no Prime in BT/Alt until much later, when they decided to milk 'Convoy' again. Still don't get the orange like color.
    Cons look like afterthought repaints except good job on Shockwave.
    Just my view.

5. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i think they thought masterpiece and alternator/bineltech lines complimentary lines.....they left the characters that didn't fit as cars in the masterpiece line (prime, megatron, seekers) and let the cars as alts

there is a reason i absolutely hate the idea of a car in the masterpiece line

sure there are exceptions such as grimlock, but he got a masterpiece, rendering his alt figure useless, like masterpiece makes alt prime useless......and there was a megatron in the works, it was going to be a escelade if i remember correctly

6. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You also have to remember that a lot of the characters we ended up with were not who the mold was intended to be!

7. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

What do you mean Juise who wasn't who they were supposed to be?

8. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the viper was supposed to be tracks originally because they thought they couldn't get the corvette, but then the did and changed it to sideswipe. which is why he looks pretty much nothing like his original.

Also dead end and swindle were supposed to be sunstreaker (although we eventually got him) and trailbreaker.

9. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I remember hearing that Swindle was originally supposed to be Trailbreaker, but for some reason (maybe they couldn't get the name), they had to repaint him and change his name at the last minute.