Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by NGW, Jan 6, 2008.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Just kinda..kind of a poll I suppose.

In the course of its life the N64 had two Zelda games released for it.

Ocarina of Time, which is a more traditional Zelda title, is often regarded as one of the best games of all time and many believe it to be the best in the franchise. There is little sidequesting, opting instead for a larger number of dungeons to complete in order to finish the game.

Majora's Mask was a rather different take on the franchise, and is often criticized for being too different from its predecessors, as well as seeming to focus more on completing sidequests than playing through the main dungeons. Majora's Mask also is the only Zelda title that has you play on a rather strict time limit of 72 hours (approximately 72 real life minutes).

There aren't too many people out there that prefered MM, in fact there are quite a few that feel it is a low point in the franchise. I have to disagree however.

First of all, the game is DARK. Majora's Mask is quite possibly the darkest, most mature game in the franchise (yes, moreso than Twilight Princess). There is always a sense of impending doom with the moon looming overhead, ready to wipe out the entirety of Termina. The people go about their daily business, almost unaware of their coming destruction. As the days go by the theme music for Clock Town changes to reflect death coming ever closer. The tune for the final day is espescially dark and foreboding. Majora's Mask is a great villain that is purely heartless and evil. The soundtrack itself is also rather dark at times, though it has some lighter tunes, there are some tracks that have a deep sense of foreboding and doom in them.

As for being a more mature game..well:

The plot is really deep, and is rather different for the franchise. In order to save the world Link must repeatedly travel back through time and relive the same 3 day cycle, everything he has done is completely reset. By the end of it all, even after having stopped the moon from destroying Termina...it doesn't really matter. No one knows, no one cares. Link isn't the triumphant hero, he isn't worshipped and hailed by the people as a savior, they simply carry on as they always have. The Bomber's Notebook is another great example of the more mature theme of the game. You use the notebook to keep track of sidequests (which are of course time based as certain events will only occur at a certain time), which involve solving problems for other people and generally helping them out. Completionists be warned as it is not possible to do every single sidequest in one single cycle. While it is possible to complete the notebook in the game, there will never be a true perfect ending. No matter what you do, and how hard you try..you have to accept the harsh reality that you can't help everyone; there will be people whose problems remain unsolved, and you have to decide who you want to help out. If you really think about it, that's a real mature subject and situation to deal the player..espescially in a Zelda game.

The game is overall shorter, having only 5 dungeons in all as opposed to Ocarina's 9. However there are many more sidequests to complete and it will take a rather long time to complete the game 100%.

The mask system was also rather innovative and was a pretty cool way to introduce new abilities for Link. The transformation masks were also a nice touch that add entirely new gameplay elements to the franchise (which sadly were never really explored again).

All in all I personally feel that Majora's Mask isn't just the superior game between the two, but it is the best game in the entirety of the franchise. It also happens to be one of top games of all time.

Just wanted my opinion out there and was wondering what ya'll thought as well.

2. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    I love it!
    i think you can make eveyr one happy, just take perfect timing to do so

3. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ocarina of Time's always been my favorite. Zelda's a game about exploration and in a game that's time-crunched like Majora's Mask, that's a lot harder to accomplish. That and I never could take that giant rock and it's grin seriously...

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I hate both N64 games. Ocarina of Time because of the empty and boring hyrule field that you're forced to travel over and over with almost zero things to find or explore within it (at least wind waker's ocean had treasures and smaller islands), and majora's mask for it's "innovative" spin on repetitive gameplay.

5. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I <3 Majora's Mask. Collecting all those Mask's was a task and a half. Once you got the Fierce Dieti's though, it made it all worth it.

6. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    You know, after reading NGW's discussion about Majora's Mask, I'm going to have to agree with him that I think it's the better game of the two. My one big gripe with the Ocarina of Time is that there's simply far too much land to explore and if you're looking for little things like those golden spiders or heart pieces....ugh! It's the same thing that bored the hell out of me with Twilight Princess...who honestly thought running across seemingly endless fields full of nearly nothing dangerous was fun looking for even more heart pieces and this time around, itty bitty little bugs?

Majora's Mask completely threw a 3 foot long pipe wrench into the works. It was so new and different to be put under such a strict time limit that it added a new element to worry about while trying to solve that dungeon you're stuck on even when you slow down time by half. I liked the mask system even though it was tedious at times.

7. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ocarina by a mile. MM was horrible IMO.

8. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Wow. Then you must not be a true Zelda fan... ;) 

I loved Ocarina of Time and it kept me going through it for a long time and I completed a lot of the side quests. I do agree that the boring Hyrule field was annoying and not much outside of the farm was available. It wasn't much more then the main hub.

I really tried to get into Majora's Mask but the constant reseting and annoying characters really didn't entice me. The Wind Waker game on GC was pretty good, depsite the cel-shaded look. I LOVE the Wind Waker game on DS and I'd love to see a non cel-shaded Zelda game on DS.

Now, Twilight Princess although cool just felt like a Gamecube game with Wii controls tacked/slapped onto it. It has a wonderful story, and Mina (the imp) is a very interesting character.

9. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Neither!

LttP or nothing!

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Getting timed on a Zelda game annoyed the living shit outta me. It made exploring a chore, when it should have been relaxing and on my own time, like any other Zelda. Majora's Mask is the black sheep of Zelda's. I own every Zelda ever made (even the gold box/ cartridge of the originals) except for Majora's Mask and the CD-I games. It's a real shame too because Majora showed some insane promise with the exception of being timed and having to redo crap every time the moon was going to hit.

11. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

I loved Ocarina, but when Majora's Mask was released and I got my grubby little hands on it, I couldn't go back to Ocarina. I really, really want Majora on Wii's Virtual Console.

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    That was a nice writeup of Majora's Mask, but I think there's more to it.

Personally, I've enjoyed all the Zelda games I've played save for Zelda II, and my top favorites are Link to the Past and Links Awakening, however, of the two, while Occarina is the staple of gaming for most people, it's the far deeper Majora's Mask that is my third favorite game.

Majora's Mask, for a change, isn't about the standard hero quest, instead it's a hero question; it asks the player to think about questions about the very nature of humanity, especially tragedy and change. Link, for his youth, and his vigor, is asked some questions you're not often asked in a game. What makes someone a friend? Is someone a hero if no one knows what they did? Indeed, it seems almost like each of the "characters" Link takes attributes from in his changes, each seems to have been quite tragic, with lives that were unfullfilled, until Link uses each of their forms to save Termina. While it can be argued that it's a game filled with pseudo-philosophies, it's hard to deny that the structure of the game ends in a very purposeful way: After trying again and again, making tiny changes each time, slight, almost torturingly slow progress trapped in a three day loop, the boss battle takes you to a field, in the day time, with tall grass, and children playing around a tree. Very Eloysian fields. Had you completed all your tasks, and gotten all the masks, you could give them all away to the avatars in the field who simply want them because you have them. It's a loss of identity, of progress. Finally, stripped of your masks, you confront Majora's avatar, who, in sympathy of your loss, gives you a mask, one so powerful, the game is absurdly simple. (It's almost a joke to fight the first boss with it in replays) Unlike Ganon, Major isn't even that evil. It's lonely, and bitter. With the resolution from the final battle, the mask salesman notes that "it's lost it's evil", not that it's dead. It finally gained some company and recognition that it had been starving for. There's a duality there, in that Link started looking for Navi, and ends up befriending Skull kid and in a way, Majora. For all the good he does, or tries to do, Link can't save everyone, and walks away unnoticed, returning back to his world, no send off, nothing really the richer save for his memories, and perhaps a mask or two. To me, anyway, it's not the ending, it's the journey, and the questions and quiet thanks that Link gets along the way that makes it so interesting.

One example that I usually like to argue with, though it doesn't seem that strong, is a question of choices. Link can, and probably will at one point, spend a very good chunk of his time, sitting and listen to a senile old woman tell stories all night long, to make her happy. However, for the narrative, for the greater structure of events, it gives you context, in the game, it can give you a piece of heart. However, which is really the greater good, killing a baddie in the field, or making an old woman happy for the first time in years? If the game isn't about being a hero, then what is it really about?

13. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Ocarina hands down. Though I enjoyed Majora's Mask

14. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Ocarina for sure, definetely one of my top games hands down.

15. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

i love majora's mask! i really wish it was on the virtual console too. Ive had ocarina for gamecube since windwaker came out and i think majoras is the only one i havent replayed............. mostly because of how hard it is and i would have to dig out my 64.

honestly i think the only thing from making majoras mask my favorite of the two is the fact that its young link the whole time. If it was adult link the whole time, for some reason i think it would fit with the dark story line a bit more. But the side quests in it kept me playing forever!

twilight princess had a few side quests but nothing spectacular, and i can play through ocarina in a few hours. but majoras.........yeesh, so much extra stuff! i love it!

16. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

OoT may be the greatest Zelda/Video game ever, but I have noticed over the last several years that the "black sheep" of the Zelda series does seem to be getting more retro-active respect for it's unique tone. I know it's not everyone's taste but MM remains one of my favorite Zelda games ever (Zelda 2:TAoL being my least fav).

I doubt there would be much argument that OoT is a groundbreaking game, and one of gaming's best. There's no modern Zelda (especially MM) without OoT. Still I think MM was hurt, opinion wise, by being the first game after OoT. The 3D aspect was no longer new to the Zelda series so I think some of that "wow" aspect was lost in MM. The younger Link, time aspect, tonal shift, different forms, and fewer dungeons turned off some players. Perhaps it didn't feel as "Zelda" as OoT but it was still on the fringe of the Zelda world.

Right from the start I loved the feel of the game, an odd sense of loneliness and isolation (something I didn't find so well done in a game again till Shadow of the Colossus), it was creepy for a Zelda game and I loved it. Though Link is surrounded by one of the largest casts in a Zelda, he's always outside of that word, of it's time. I liked the temporal puzzles that the time travel aspect created (something touched on in OoT between Link's ages). You got to think beyond the average dungeon puzzle into 3 dimensions of time and space. At first I thought the "ticking clock" would hurt the game, but I honestly never found it to curtail my exploration or cut short any fun. The sidequests in MM are the best the series as ever had. They ranged from simple to complexly layered (getting the couple together still stands out in my mind).

I look at MM as a brave move on Nintendo's part. As a follow up to OoT they could have kept MM much closer in tone, but they went out there more then gamers expected and I think it was for the best. It makes me think about Twilight Princess, which I liked, but still if it had N64 graphics like OoT and MM I don't think people would necessarily rank it as high within the Zelda series. Majora's Mask differences may make it the less popular of the N64 Zelda, but I think it was an important step in the series and still one of my favorite Zeldas ever.

I love Ocarina of Time for being the outstanding game it is, and I love Majora's Mask for being the outstanding, darker, smaller, stranger Zelda game it is.

Man, now I want to replay MM.... also OKAMI=the best "Zelda" in years (yes I'm saying it again.)

17. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Pravus Prime, ZeroMayhem

:bowdown: 

To both of you. Were some rather well thought out posts, just thought they merited some props.

I did rather enjoy Ocarina, and there is no doubt the impact it had, not just on the series, but on the genre (and to some extent 3D gaming) in general.

I too hope that Nintendo makes Majora playable on the Virtual Console. I do still have my copy for the N64, and a copy I have on my PC..so I can still go back and play it when I want (in fact I have a new playthrough going right now). However the cartridge is on occasion showing its age and the other one is well...yeah.

18. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

:)  Thanks. It's nice to have an online discussion rather then the usual messageboard "u sux" screamfest that can occur.

MM is one of those "only a matter of time" games for the Wii's VC (also come on Super Mario RPG). I'm sure Nintendo will get it out there when they see fit. I'm jazzed to replay the game myself now. Just wondering if I should go cartridge or my Gamecube disc version.

19. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I just play the gamecube disc in the Wii.

20. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Still can't find me a copy of Super Mario RPG at the semi-local retro game shop or at any of the shows I go to. Hope it hits the vc soon, but *shrug* who knows.

As for replaying...I've heard a lot of bad about the emulation of it on the cube..I'd stick with the cart personally.

I'm not too far in my playthrough right now, on the first day after becoming human again...so getting ready to head for Woodfall. Have about 4:30 hours before I need to get ready for school (yay 0 period...), may just kill the time playing heh.

Y'know...I'm still pissed I was never able to get a hold of that disc, would've been nice to have a rather nice selection of Zelda games together.